SPLIT ENDS OR JUST UNEVEN HAIR

Wolftrap

As most of you know I go to the Dominican Salon weekly. Well for the past two weeks two different women have done my hair and they both have said the same thing to me "Mami you need your end clip" Now I'm thinking I looked at my ends and they don't look like they are spit at all! I want to ask them if my ends are split or are they just saying that because my hair is uneven. I don't know. My ends don't look bad to me. They do feel a little rougher than the rest of my hair though.

How can you tell if you need your ends clipped? and how do you know the reason why, brittle ends, split ends, uneven hair. Please help. I don't know whether to clip them or not. I know I made a vow to myself that I was not clipping or cutting my hair for a year. Is this bad?

SherryLove

I hear ya...I used to get this all the time when I would go to the hair stylist.....This is why I resorted to trimming my own ends using two mirrors - one in the front and the other in the back and the sharpest pair of scissors you can find. My hair never grows even...If you cut off one inch in one section, you may have to cut off two inches in another section..I am not too concerned about my hair being slightly uneven...I usually feel my ends need trimming if they are obviously thinner than the rest of my hair.

HTH

Wolftrap

I am DEFINITELY not letting them cut my hair. Since they don't speak English well I don't think they will understand if I ask them why they say I need my ends clipped. My hair is uneven but I don't want it cut even at all. It's not real noticeable. I just don't know if i have bad ends or not.

lonei

To have split ends your hair would have to be pretty damaged. That means that one hair has split into two, unless you have badly abused your hair in the past, this is highly unlikely. A friend of mine trims my hair only when I relax, once every 8 weeks and this is due to uneven ends rather than split ends. Ask them to show you how much they want to cut, and ask why, you deserve an explanation.

Irresistible

I always trim or dust my ends, i dont even look for splits, I just do it. It always feels so much better after

a year of no trimming might not be good if you do have any splits, they travel up the hair shaft

alliyah4eva203

[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:
To have split ends your hair would have to be pretty damaged. That means that one hair has split into two, unless you have badly abused your hair in the past, this is highly unlikely. A friend of mine trims my hair only when I relax, once every 8 weeks and this is due to uneven ends rather than split ends. Ask them to show you how much they want to cut, and ask why, you deserve an explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree. it could be that your ends are dry and they need some extra moisture

Wolftrap

Yeah I'm beginning to think I will "dust" them myself. They don't look split and my hair is not damaged. It's probably just uneven or scraggly looking I guess. I will see about doing that tonight.

Karonica

Yeah, I think you should have asked them their reasoning behind it to see if they could give a decent explanation, or else you'll be cutting for nothing, unless you want to improve your hair's evenness.

Wolftrap

Well I would have asked them but as we all know that frequent the salons, I'm sure my question would be lost in translation. They dont speak English very well.

Karonica

Does your hair shed a lot in small pieces? Do you find that your ends are brittle? When you look at your ends, do you see little small white bulbs in the middle of the strand? Do you see splits at the end or in the middle of the strand? Do you have no problems combing through your hair until you reach near the ends, and then you can't pull the comb through as easily? Does it seem the your strands "stick" to each other a few inches or lower towards the end of them?

If "no" is the answer to these questions, I honestly thing you're good to go.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
I usually feel my ends need trimming if they are obviously thinner than the rest of my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Me too.
When I rollerset I investigate each section as I go along, and sometimes I trim off just a tiny bit.

Wolftrap

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
Does your hair shed a lot in small pieces? Do you find that your ends are brittle? When you look at your ends, do you see little small white bulbs in the middle of the strand? Do you see splits at the end or in the middle of the strand? Do you have no problems combing through your hair until you reach near the ends, and then you can't pull the comb through as easily? Does it seem the your strands "stick" to each other a few inches or lower towards the end of them?

If "no" is the answer to these questions, I honestly thing you're good to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I have some of these symptoms. I'm laughing cause your post sounds like one of those prescription medicine commercials

I notice some small white balls. Not a lot but they are there. What does this mean? I don't have shedding and I'm not sure if they stick togethr or not. I'm looking now and I don't think so. So I guess its just the balls.

Karonica

Are they on just a few strands, or mostly all of them?

I had a ton of these (they mainly occured after getting my hair bleached in March when my hair was already in so-so condition).

Do your own experiment. Take a strand of hair that has one of those white balls in them. Gently, and I mean, GENTLY tug and see what happens. If they're anything like mine, you will see that the hair easily breaks into two pieces at the point of the ball. I read this occurs when there's an implosion in the strand (someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's on that split ends hairsite, but I can't find the link). It mainly comes from handling the hair too hard, including from brushing, dyeing, etc.

Normally, when the hair sheds directly from the root, you will see a little white bulb at the beginning of the strand. But in this case, they will occur throughout the strand, rather than at the base.