split ends

sundayschild

how do you guys handle them? there is another site whereby the owner does not at all subscribe to having one's ends trimmed. she has been able to grow her Afro textured hair to a long length, so she stands firm in her belief.

whenever I go to the salon, the stylist almost always says; "you need your ends trimmed". the hairstylist I have known the longest, doesn't ask or even charge me..she just "trims" my ends!! but my hair is definetly "cut" afterwards. still, my hair grows uneven so...

what do you guys think? are regular trims to elimiate split ends necessary? if not, is there a method to "mend" them and or protect them from occuring? thanks.

Nonie

I think a lot of people on the forum (including myself) trim their hair only when necessary. That is, only when the ends look split, scraggly, thin or lifeless.

Otherwise most people avoid having to trim by preventing split ends. This they do by avoiding heat; wearing protective styles that keep the ends hidden away from the drying air (like buns); keeping the ends well moisturized; using seamless combs; avoiding very hot water when washing hair; avoiding fine-tooth combs... I'm sure I've missed out some major points but that's all that comes to mind for now.

jainygirl

honestly i just don't believe in trims, especially if you arent putting heat or extra processes on your hair such as color and highlights. If youre using widetooth seamless combs and conditioning your hair as necessary, you should only at the most need a light "dusting" on your ends every once in a while. I havent had a real trim in over 3 years. i let my sister snip or "dust" any stray hairs or whatever it is i see that just doesnt match the rest of my hair--it's usually gonna be only a few hairs here and there but you will still have a nice, neater look to your hair
HTH--jainygirl

MoezThunder

the best way to keep split ends at bay to to moisturize them daily( with plain ole water) and seal with vaseline or heavy hair grease before putting in protective style. I no longer worry about split ends. My ends are always soft and smooth. No more frizzy dry ends for me!