Challenge: No Weaves, Wigs, or Braids

chiconya

I did a search and didn't see any challenges for this. I got to thinking since joining LHCF, I've learned tips about how to take care of my hair while wearing a weave, wigs, braids. Let me tell you I have tried it all all and I run into setback, after setback, after setback. I have been natural, relaxed, and tex-laxed. (currently relaxed)

My edges began to thin (they are recovering now) from wigs and braids, also my hair sometimes come out in clumps after braiding or the thread from weaving. All this despite moisturizing, washing, and caring for my hair. So I conclude at this point in the hair game these styles are not for me.:wallbash:

This thread is for those who have tried these methods time and time again and keep having setbacks, thinning edges, breakage, no retention. Or if you would like to share your experience growing your hair long without weaves, wigs or braids please share.:yep:

So I am challenging you to no weaves, wigs, or braids until March 1st 2011. The challenge will last for 6 months.

If you have been wearing wigs, weaves, braids and still have not come close to reaching your goals this challenge might be for you. Or you may feel like dealing with you real hair, to give it a rest from constant friction and tension.

Now if weaves, wigs and braids has helped you grow hair to your ankles then keep doing what you doing. Everything is not for everyone.

So are you in?

Rule #1
No weaves, braids, or wigs. Phony ponies are ok.

Rule #2
If possible post a starting pic and regimen

My regimen is

1. Wash weekly to bi-weekly with either NTM moisturizing or Aphogee 2 min Protein poo
2. Deep condition with either NTM moisturizing or Aphogee 2-min protein conditioner
3. Aphogee 2-step every six weeks
4. Rusk Leave-in and Biosilk serum after every wash
5. Blow dry on low or Airdry
6. Flat iron 1-2 times a month
7. Relax every 4 - 8 months or more
8. Moisturize daily with NTM

starting pic in siggy

EclecticMaybe

I don't wear weaves or braids or anything of the sort so I doubt I could really take part in this challenge BUT I am super curious to see what ladies might be doing to deal with their setbacks. I had a setback due to wearing a head scarf (a satin one at that), my edges thinned out due to the constant rubbing on my edges so I'm dealing with that right now and I'm sure I'm not the only one here dealing with thinned out edges so I'll be lurking around this thread for the next couple months...

chiconya

I never thought this challenge would be so hard my skinny bun is so boring, my braid out is horrible. I absolutely need to leave my hair out cause my edges can't take no tension. Plus I need to give my regimen a %100 chance. That pack of wet-n-wavy and my wig are calling me. Just venting cause I'm all alone on this challenge. March just seems so far away.

Janet'

So, when you say no braids, does that mean not even your own hair braided or are you referring to hair with extensions?

Rain20

There is a wet bunning challenge. That seems to incorporate most of your regimen. If you can wet bun,maybe just do more updos and dry buns. Maybe do twists(no extensions) and style those. Check out Kimmay's hair growth journey or the thread about styling twists.

Last edited:

chiconya

I have been experimenting with buns lately, after trial and error. I spray water and/or NTM on my dry hair and scalp then apply Africa's Best, or EVCO on ends to seal, then my tiny weeny bun :sad:, tie down over night to dry. I don't co wash at all.

Since spraying hair and scalp with water instead of NTM alone, and combing less my breakage has slowed.

I have a phony pony though a Mane Clip used sparingly. This is going to be rough me loves my wig and braids for style and laziness.

Oh and my hair is not long enough for twists or cute updo's yet. I can pin it up with a banana clip when it's flat ironed though.