When hair doesn't hold a curl for long...

locabouthair

we can agree that is is because it's damaged right?

I notice for the past couple of months that my hair does not hold curl like it used to and my ends have gotten redder and redder. So I am think it's damaged.

I took out my rollers this morning. Didn't wrap the curls just added some moisturizer and lightly finger comb. that was around 8:00. it's now 10:00 and most of the curls are gone.

What do you think? is this an elasticity issue, lack of protein? I should know this by now being a member here for 2 years but I don't know.

seeminglysweet

we can agree that is is because it's damaged right?

I notice for the past couple of months that my hair does not hold curl like it used to and my ends have gotten redder and redder. So I am think it's damaged.

I took out my rollers this morning. Didn't wrap the curls just added some moisturizer and lightly finger comb. that was around 8:00. it's now 10:00 and most of the curls are gone.

What do you think? is this an elasticity issue, lack of protein? I should know this by now being a member here for 2 years but I don't know.

Yes, it's due to damage. You hair is too porous, other members are experts on the topic...All I know is you should search for topics on Roux's porosity control, many members swear by it.

There is also a porosity test you can do by putting a strand of shedded hair into a cup of water, if it sinks it's too porous, if it floats-it's fine (someone correct me if i've got it reversed)

neonbright

In my case my hair stop hold curls after taking alot of medicines which change my hair some how. I am not surprised though, blood pressure and several gastric meds, I am just glad to have healthy hair. And my hair floats.

locabouthair

thanks for replying.

I havent done the porosity test but I know my hair is porous because it doesnt hold moisture like it used to. It soaks up moisture very fast. I am not taking any medication.

I think I'm at the end of my rope ya'll. I've been trying to this hair thing for a year and my hair has gotten worse. I am going to have to cut about 5 inches off and start ALL over.

I guess without struggle there is no progress right:ohwell:

lana

Excuse me, I'm sorry, but I just don't think that hair is damaged if it doesn't hold a curl. My hair used to do this when I was natural, the curl would just fall right out, even when I used hair spray (laughs). I figured out once I texlaxed that my hair was fine, it just wanted to revert and nothing could stop it.

Please don't cut your hair. I would let an expert look at it, to see what's really going on first...before doing anything. Oh and the last time my hair wouldn't hold a curl texlaxed I just gave myself a light dusting (less than an eyelash) and whalla! it was back to normal.

Your hair may be too heavy with product or buildup or it could need a minor, teeny tiny trim. Please don't chop it off because you don't know what to do...this is where we stop, breathe and go see an expert. :yep:

locabouthair

Excuse me, I'm sorry, but I just don't think that hair is damaged if it doesn't hold a curl. My hair used to do this when I was natural, the curl would just fall right out, even when I used hair spray (laughs). I figured out once I texlaxed that my hair was fine, it just wanted to revert and nothing could stop it.

Please don't cut your hair. I would let an expert look at it, to see what's really going on first...before doing anything. Oh and the last time my hair wouldn't hold a curl texlaxed I just gave myself a light dusting (less than an eyelash) and whalla! it was back to normal.

Your hair may be too heavy with product or buildup or it could need a minor, teeny tiny trim. Please don't chop it off because you don't know what to do...this is where we stop, breathe and go see an expert. :yep:

Lana I did a trim about 2 weeks ago. I need to cut my hair because my ends are VERY thin. So thin I dont wear my hair down. I have pictures of them but I am scared to post because it's THAT bad.

I just think that this is because I might be overprocessed because my ends are redder and the stylist put the relaxer all over my hair.

Leslie_C

What state do u live in? My hair doesnt hold curl well bc I live in a humid climate. I made a mistake of thinking using casuso rollers would be a nice style...well it was until I left the house. Adding more steam to the already humid climate was not my friend. Im going to experiment with setting it different ways (rollersetting under the dryer, flexirod setsetc.) Im texlaxed so my hair tends to want to revert back to its frizzy state most of the time. Still working on a solution...
Mizani thermasmooth made it hold a straight style better...Ill have to try that line with a rollerset too.

Imani

I would say give it a while before you just cut it all off. sometimes my hair also does not hold curl. like, right now, my hair is not holding curls since my last relaxer and has this funny texture to it. I'm just moisturizing it daily and leaving it alone during the week.

My hair is porous. the few times i've done that "float" test, my hair always sinks to the bottom and i've used the infamous porosity control. and it didn't really help.

Sometimes, the right prodcuts can make all the difference. the right shampoo, conditioner, styling products etc. and sometimes it takes more than one wash to get it back to where it needs to be. And i've also noticed that to keep rewashing too frequently only makes it worse especially if you have dry hair as i do- i limit washing to no more than once a week. It may take several weeks and several treatments, but i wouldn't give up just yet.

Do you do everything to your hair yourself, or do you go to stylists?

I have been going to the dominicans recently bc its cheap and easy. But this weekend, i am seeing a stylist whom i like bc she doesn't just give u some standard wash and set. She feels out whats going on with my hair and specifically caters the products/treatments she is using to my hair. and tells me what the products are as she is using them.

Hope everything turns out okay!

HoneyDew

My hair does not hold a curl when it is overmoisturized.

It does not hold a nice bouncy cirl when it is dry.

I don't think it always means your hair is damaged.

For me, when my moisture level is off, in either way, my curls are not right.

locabouthair

Hi, Imani. I wash and DC myself previously I wnt to the salon for relaxers but I wont be doign that anymore. I used to go to the dominicans and they overlapp like crazy plus the last time I went she had the relaxer dropping on my clothes. Never again:nono: And the stylist i found after that relaxed my whole head. :ohwell:

So I'm offically anti stylist now. My ends are very see through so they will have to get cut off anyway. But i will trim them gradually. In a year they will be gone. I'll see if my hair holds a better curl after I chop the ends off.

cheeks87

But I mean, who is deciding how long your hair should hold the curl? I'm confused.

I mean, if your ends are red I'd assume they're damaged, but I wouldn't assume that because your hair isn't holding curls as long, unless you mean that you put curls in your hair and they immediately fall, like an Asian person.

locabouthair

But I mean, who is deciding how long your hair should hold the curl? I'm confused.

I mean, if your ends are red I'd assume they're damaged, but I wouldn't assume that because your hair isn't holding curls as long, unless you mean that you put curls in your hair and they immediately fall, like an Asian person.

no they dont immediately fall. but i notice the curl does not last nearly as long as it used to. i duuno, i just thoguth the curls would last longer than 2 hours but i could be wrong. im probably just overanalyzing my hair as always.lol