My hair won't hold a curl.

InNeedofHairapy

Yesterday I used a curling iron on my hair. I normally don't use heat. It was slightly curled by the time I was done, but no more than two hours later, my hair was straight again. http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f142/NICHOLLEYOLEY/hair/10.jpgAnd puffy (which I expected, since I'm 20 weeks Post relaxer)

Last night, I put my hair in a bantu knot set, and my hair turned out like this. http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f142/NICHOLLEYOLEY/hair/100_1993.jpgand even though there are slight curls, it's not the Curly Qs that I want

What gives? Why won't my hair hold a curl? I do have what I think is damaged hair, but I don't know what type of hair I have or even what type of damage it is :lol: Sad, I know..but any ladies that have this problem or had it and can help me out..that's be great

**Sorry about the big ol' pics...I'm going to try and fix them

Last edited:

balisi

You may have not made your bantu knots small enough or tight enough. Also, did you use any setting lotion or foam? I think it looks nice anyway.

InNeedofHairapy

balisi said:
You may have not made your bantu knots small enough or tight enough. Also, did you use any setting lotion or foam? I think it looks nice anyway.

Thank You Balisi!

You're right, I only did 6 bantu knots, and they were loose this morning when I took my scarf off. I used BB Soft Gro Lite. It never occured to me to try setting lotion of foam, I'll have to try that. Thank You

wyldcurlz

my hair has no problem holding a curl, but before a performance when they know we're going to be sweating bullets, they spray the heck out of my hair with hair spray. they take the section they're going to curl, spray it (and spray it again for good measure:grin: ) then they wrap that section around the curling iron. i "think" with some of the finer haired girls they spritz the hair when its wrapped around the iron. you may try that. or as someone recommended setting foam. my stylist applies foaming styling lotion throughout my hair before he curls it. and i keep it that way for days with pin curls. hth

CreoleBelle

My hair doesn't hold a curl because it's been relaxed bone straight for the past 22yrs. That bone straight did me in:mad:.

CreoleBelle

wyldcurlz said:
my hair has no problem holding a curl, but before a performance when they know we're going to be sweating bullets, they spray the heck out of my hair with hair spray. they take the section they're going to curl, spray it (and spray it again for good measure:grin: ) then they wrap that section around the curling iron. i "think" with some of the finer haired girls they spritz the hair when its wrapped around the iron. you may try that. or as someone recommended setting foam. my stylist applies foaming styling lotion throughout my hair before he curls it. and i keep it that way for days with pin curls. hth

Are you in a singing group?

LABETT

How long has it been since you done a heavy duty protein treatment.
When my hair does hold curls I know it time to pull out Dudley drc 28 works everytime.

InNeedofHairapy

LABETT said:
When my hair does hold curls I know it time to pull out Dudley drc 28 works everytime.

Well, I used one of the little Aphogee paks a week before my last relaxer, and that was back in June, so it's been awhile. I haven't had a relaxer since, and I didn't use heat or any other chemical all summer.

Does that mean I need to do one? Protein never occured to me, but I did wonder this morning as I unwrapped yet another limp bantu knot curl if I used too much moisturizer.
Thanks for your help, I'll try protein

OneInAMillion

LABETT said:

I agree with this. Also, when I can't hold a curl I've got too much product buildup. Try clarifying.

InNeedofHairapy

OneInAMillion said:
I agree with this. Also, when I can't hold a curl I've got too much product buildup. Try clarifying.

You might be right. Even though I clarified 3 weeks ago, I have used a lot of product...but this isn't a recent problem. For the last 6-8 months my hair has been like noodles.

I'll see if clarifying, and a protein treatment will work, and also use a setting lotion next time.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
When my hair won't hold a curl it's usually a sign that I need a trim. When's the last time you had a trim/dusting?