When Did You Learn the Truth About....Ummmm, "Santa"? (lol)

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
How old were you and how did you find out the 'truth' about Santa Claus? :lol:

I thought it would be nice to take a little stroll through 'Santa' stories, Past. :lol:

Also, what do you tell your 'babies' (your children of all ages -- including hubby :lol:) about Santa? No discriminations, just sharing. :Rose:

I was ten years old when a neighbor friend of ours told me and my cousins that there was no such thing as Santa Claus. :cry: My cousins and I were very excited as we had just given our Christmas Lists to our parents and we were sharing what we were expecting to receive. Weeellllllll, low and behold, our neighbor friend, "Joyce", told us that there was no such thing as Santa Claus and that our parents were the ones who bought our toys and gifts, not Santa.

Of course, I ran into the house crying to my mother :cry3: and she was very upset with our neighbor. My mom told me not to believe her, :yep:, Yes she did and that Santa was still coming to visit no matter what anyone had to say about him. She had a talk with my neighbor's parents explaining to them that it was not their child's place to tell us that.

Well, the next Christmas, I was 11 years old and my mom sat me down and told me the truth.

Parents! What are we gonna do with them? :lol: Love them of course.

As for my children, they know the truth. We give Jesus all of the glory for the gift of Christmas. :love2:

Happy Christmas Everyone. :giveheart:

MizzBrown

I was about 7 or 8 when i realized there was no Santa.

Parents started gettin' lazy and she left the Wal-Mart price stickers on stuff. I saw one on my coloring book and got mad.

I thought the toys came from the North Pole directly.

I'm not going to pass that tradition down to my kids.

Shimmie

Staff member
I was about 7 or 8 when i realized there was no Santa.

Parents started gettin' lazy and she left the Wal-Mart price stickers on stuff. I saw one on my coloring book and got mad.

I thought the toys came from the North Pole directly.

I'm not going to pass that tradition down to my kids.

:lachen: @ "Walmart" price stickers.

My parents were 'good' at covering their tracks. :lol:

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
I don't know if I ever really believed. I went along with it, but I knew my momma was buying my stuff
:lol: @ "I went along with it...".

You started out young with the gifts of discernment. :yep: :lol:

As my sisters and I (3 of us) grew older, we discovered my mom's 'hiding place' for our gifts. We had a perfect system too. We learned how to pry open the staples on the bags, put the removed staples in a safe place and then take the items out of the bags. We even tried on a few things...:lachen: fold them back up and then carefully place the same staple in the exact area it was stapled in.

We were ummmmmm, :sekret: curious.... :look: My mom never caught on. The only real surprises on Christmas day were the gifts from my grandparents which came from New York. :lol:

cutiebe2

When I was six and I went to open the presents. Why was "From:Santa" in my MOTHER'S HANDWRITING :mad:

she didn't even try to fake it:rolleyes:

PaperClip

At about 6-7 years old.... I left cookies and a note out for Santa (hmmm... just happened to be Keebler coconut chocolate cookies, what was already in the house and my Daddy's favorite:drunk:) and "Santa" wrote a note back to me and I looked at the note and the handwriting looked familiar and I was like "um, Daddy:look:, this looks like the way you write your "J's" (my dad's name begins with a J).... I vaguely recall my parents trying to cover it up but I wasn't buying it! Hahaha!

PaperClip

When I was six and I went to open the presents. Why was "From:Santa" in my MOTHER'S HANDWRITING :mad:

Hahaha! Similar story!

Shimmie

Staff member

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Did you ever tell her? :lachen:

too cute... :lol: At six you 'knew' Mommie's Handwriting. You were GOOD at being so observant at that young age. :detective:

Shimmie

Staff member
At about 6-7 years old.... I left cookies and a note out for Santa (hmmm... just happened to be Keebler coconut chocolate cookies, what was already in the house and my Daddy's favorite:drunk:) and "Santa" wrote a note back to me and I looked at the note and the handwriting looked familiar and I was like "um, Daddy:look:, this looks like the way you write your "J's" (my dad's name begins with a J).... I vaguely recall my parents trying to cover it up but I wasn't buying it! Hahaha!
OMGoodness! :lachen: This is funny

Question: Did you ever get a 'Personal Phone Call from Santa'?

WE DID! :yep: :lol: :lachen:

OMGoodness! It was the Ho, Ho, Ho (the laugh Ho' :lachen:) deep voice, Merrrrrrry Christmas, and everything. :lachen: 'Santa' knew my name, my age, my EXACT birthday (in April) and what class I was in, my teacher's name, my last report card grades, my favorite color and I NEVER caught on that it was my 'Dad' and my Grand-Dad, calling me. :lol: :rofl:

My parents and grand parents loved this. I think Santa was more for them, than for me. They loved the fun they were having. :yep:

WonderfullyMade

I knew I believed in Santa at one point in time but I can't remember when. I was a precocious young child so I think I figured out that it just didn't make any sense. And the fact that at church Santa was black and looked like my friend's father. All I know is that one of my friends told me in highschool that I was the one that ruined Christmas for him, in FIRST grade! So... I at least knew the truth enough to pass it on by the age of six. Plus I never could figure out how Jesus fit into the picture since some of the gifts under the tree were marked from Him. So I guess at a young age, I chose Jesus over Santa. :lachen:

Shimmie

Staff member
I knew I believed in Santa at one point in time but I can't remember when. I was a precocious young child so I think I figured out that it just didn't make any sense.

And the fact that at church Santa was black and looked like my friend's father.

All I know is that one of my friends told me in highschool that I was the one that ruined Christmas for him, in FIRST grade! So... I at least knew the truth enough to pass it on by the age of six. Plus I never could figure out how Jesus fit into the picture since some of the gifts under the tree were marked from Him. So I guess at a young age, I chose Jesus over Santa. :lachen:
We 'always' had clues along the way. :lachen:

mrselle

I don't know that I ever believed in Santa. I put up a front for my parents. Something about the whole thing didn't sound quite right. I remember one year my cousin and I wrote a note to "Santa" asking him to leave a piece of his beard to prove he did exist. My aunt just happened to have some white, fuzzy/furry material (she sewed a lot), so she cut off a piece and claimed it was a piece of Santa's beard. Funny thing is, I remember seeing it in her sewing closet before my cousin and I even wrote the note and I "knew" that it would be used for something "Santa related". On Christmas morning my cousin and I were so pre-occupied with our new toys that we didn't really care about the "beard".

As for my little girl...I'm not really pressing the issue. She's two years old and she REFUSES to sit on Santa's lap. She did manage to give him a five last weekend, but thats about it. I'm ok with that. I don't know that I want her to think it's ok to sit on some strange man's lap. If you really think about it Santa is kind of funny looking. A lot of hair and fur and velvet with a leather belt and leather boots. It's all a bit much. Anyway, I digress. I'm more concerned with her knowing about Jesus. We put up decorations and a big tree and we buy her gifts, but we don't go overboard. We don't want her thinking that Christmas is all about gifts. Besides, we spoil her all year long. ;-)

Clem98tig

When I was 7, I woke up early Christmas morning after I heard a car. It was my mom backing up to the house so she could take the toys out of the truck and put them under the tree...:ohwell: She had an elaborate Santa story the next morning but I knew the truth!

Shimmie

Staff member
When I was 7, I woke up early Christmas morning after I heard a car. It was my mom backing up to the house so she could take the toys out of the truck and put them under the tree...:ohwell: She had an elaborate Santa story the next morning but I knew the truth!
:lachen: I'm laughing because of all of the 'hiding' places that 'our' parents and grandparents had. :lachen: The attic, garage, basement, inner closet, behind the linens, under the bed, car trunks, over my grandparents home in NEW YORK :drunk: . Thank God they came to visit on time.

Lord only knows where else.:lachen:

Shimmie

Staff member
I don't know that I ever believed in Santa. I put up a front for my parents. Something about the whole thing didn't sound quite right. I remember one year my cousin and I wrote a note to "Santa" asking him to leave a piece of his beard to prove he did exist. My aunt just happened to have some white, fuzzy/furry material (she sewed a lot), so she cut off a piece and claimed it was a piece of Santa's beard. Funny thing is, I remember seeing it in her sewing closet before my cousin and I even wrote the note and I "knew" that it would be used for something "Santa related". On Christmas morning my cousin and I were so pre-occupied with our new toys that we didn't really care about the "beard".

As for my little girl...I'm not really pressing the issue. She's two years old and she REFUSES to sit on Santa's lap. She did manage to give him a five last weekend, but thats about it. I'm ok with that. I don't know that I want her to think it's ok to sit on some strange man's lap. If you really think about it Santa is kind of funny looking. A lot of hair and fur and velvet with a leather belt and leather boots. It's all a bit much. Anyway, I digress. I'm more concerned with her knowing about Jesus. We put up decorations and a big tree and we buy her gifts, but we don't go overboard. We don't want her thinking that Christmas is all about gifts. Besides, we spoil her all year long. ;-)

Mrselle, I have a question: How do you resist dressing your babygirl in all of the 'adorable' dresses that they have for little girls. I know she looks like a doll baby. :yep: :love3:

I go 'crazy' every year trying to decide which 'pretty dress' to get for my babygirls. I have two young ones on my list and I love dressing them every Christmas, every Easter, and for their Birthdays. They love it too, and the excitement and the expression on their faces when they open their gift boxes and see all of the pretty girl things, just for them.

I love the pretty Organza and Chiffon, the lace and the sashes, and the pearls. :drunk: Oh and don't even let me get near the lacey socks and the hair ribbons. The soft cardigan sweaters; they are so dainty. :yep:

It's like dressing doll babies.... I love it. :yep:

God bless you and your precious ones. :giveheart:

Last edited:

mrselle

Mrselle, I have a question: How do you resist dressing your babygirl in all of the 'adorable' dresses that they have for little girls. I know she looks like a doll baby. :yep: :love3:

I go 'crazy' every year trying to decide which 'pretty dress' to get for my babygirls. I have two young ones on my list and I love dressing them every Christmas, every Easter, and for their Birthdays. They love it too, and the excitement and the expression on their faces when they open their gift boxes and see all of the pretty girl things, just for them.

I love the pretty Organza and Chiffon, the lace and the sashes, and the pearls. :drunk: Oh and don't even let me get near the lacey socks and the hair ribbons. The soft cardigan sweaters; they are so dainty. :yep:

It's like dressing doll babies.... I love it. :yep:

God bless you and your precious ones. :giveheart:

Are you talking about dressing her in the frilly dresses to take pictures with Santa or just in general? As far as pictures with Santa…not a big deal to me for some reason. I’ll admit, her first Christmas when she was only four months old I soooo wanted a picture with her and Santa. The line was extremely long, she was in a “mood” and then when we finally got close to the front of the line she fell asleep. I didn’t want to spend money on a picture with her sleeping…I have a TON of those. ;-) Otherwise, I do get her Christmas outfits, but I like to make sure it’s not so Christmasy that she can’t wear it in January and February. Typically, her Christmas outfit is something that she can wear around Valentine’s Day and not look crazy. My mother just bought her an adorable dress….plaid on the bottom, burgundy velvet up top…cute little sash in the back….I can’t wait for her to wear it. Her Easter dress this year was a peach silk dress…very dainty and she looked like a little princess in it. My mom picks out a lot of her dresses. She loves doing it, so I let her. My secret obsession is Children’s Place. They have the cuuuuuutest things for little girls I can hardly stand it. I can’t walk in there without buying her something.

And yes, she is a doll. I could be biased, but she is one pretty little girl. ;-)

kandake

I was about 6 or 7 when I knew for certain there was no Santa. It was pure speculation before then. I remember seeing my Cabbage Patch doll in the closet when I was 4 or 5. I confronted my mother but she refused to tell the truth about the doll in the closet.

Also, I never had a chimney so I wondered how Santa was coming into my apt. No one was able to explain that.

Finally at 6 or 7 I said to my mother "I know there's no such thing as Santa" She still insisted so I let her continue to lie to me.

I don't think I'm going to lead my children to believe that Santa is real. I don't like all the lying and sneaking thats involved. I'd rather tell the truth.

OT. Now I did believe in the tooth fairy. My money was always under my pillow. You couldn't tell me she wasn't real.

Shimmie

Staff member
Are you talking about dressing her in the frilly dresses to take pictures with Santa or just in general? As far as pictures with Santa…not a big deal to me for some reason. I’ll admit, her first Christmas when she was only four months old I soooo wanted a picture with her and Santa. The line was extremely long, she was in a “mood” and then when we finally got close to the front of the line she fell asleep. I didn’t want to spend money on a picture with her sleeping…I have a TON of those. ;-)

Otherwise, I do get her Christmas outfits, but I like to make sure it’s not so Christmasy that she can’t wear it in January and February. Typically, her Christmas outfit is something that she can wear around Valentine’s Day and not look crazy. My mother just bought her an adorable dress….plaid on the bottom, burgundy velvet up top…cute little sash in the back….I can’t wait for her to wear it. Her Easter dress this year was a peach silk dress…very dainty and she looked like a little princess in it. My mom picks out a lot of her dresses. She loves doing it, so I let her. My secret obsession is Children’s Place. They have the cuuuuuutest things for little girls I can hardly stand it. I can’t walk in there without buying her something.

And yes, she is a doll. I could be biased, but she is one pretty little girl. ;-)
Oh definitely in general. :yep: Mrselle, I love dressing my babygirls. :lol: And they still let me. :yep: :lachen:

This past weekend I was out shopping and I saw an aisle of the most adorable dresses in the Toddler size 2's, 4's and 6's. I wished my babygirls could wear them.

As grown as I am, I even love to 'dress' up on special occasions with long lacey skirts; I have sweaters with lace collars, I just love it. :love2:

And I don't think you're biased, you just know 'adorable' when you see it. I wish you many, many years of beautiful dresses. Amen. :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
I was about 6 or 7 when I knew for certain there was no Santa. It was pure speculation before then. I remember seeing my Cabbage Patch doll in the closet when I was 4 or 5. I confronted my mother but she refused to tell the truth about the doll in the closet.

Also, I never had a chimney so I wondered how Santa was coming into my apt. No one was able to explain that.

Finally at 6 or 7 I said to my mother "I know there's no such thing as Santa" She still insisted so I let her continue to lie to me.

I don't think I'm going to lead my children to believe that Santa is real. I don't like all the lying and sneaking thats involved. I'd rather tell the truth.

OT. Now I did believe in the tooth fairy. My money was always under my pillow. You couldn't tell me she wasn't real.

Thank you Kandi. Come to think of it, our fire place wasn't real.....:lachen:

Duchesse

Sometimes I wish I still believed in Santa lol! I think I was like 6 or something, secrets get ruined when you have older siblings and snarky Godsisters who enjoyed saying "You know they aint no real Santa. Your momma buys you all that stuff!"

Even though I knew that may parents bought my gifts, I can remember being like 12 (I know way too old for that mess) still looking outside the window hoping that maybe, just maybe, I would see something flying across the sky.

As for my future children, I'm still on the fence on whether or not we will be celebrating Christmas in the traditional sense.

Shimmie

Staff member
Sometimes I wish I still believed in Santa lol! I think I was like 6 or something, secrets get ruined when you have older siblings and snarky Godsisters who enjoyed saying "You know they aint no real Santa. Your momma buys you all that stuff!"

Even though I knew that may parents bought my gifts, I can remember being like 12 (I know way too old for that mess) still looking outside the window hoping that maybe, just maybe, I would see something flying across the sky.

As for my future children, I'm still on the fence on whether or not we will be celebrating Christmas in the traditional sense.
Your post is very 'tender'.... from one of a warm heart. :yep:

Ummmm, don't feel bad, I was 22 and still 'looking'.... :lachen:

divya

:lachen: I'm laughing because of all of the 'hiding' places that 'our' parents and grandparents had. :lachen: The attic, garage, basement, inner closet, behind the linens, under the bed, car trunks, over my grandparents home in NEW YORK :drunk: . Thank God they came to visit on time.

Lord only knows where else.:lachen:

I really think parents and grandparents have fun with the Santa idea, and that's part of the reason why they do it. It's also the joy on a child's face when they think this imaginary person came all the way from the North Pole to give them presents. Of course, we in here all know that the focus should be on Christ...but just looking at it from another perspective.

Shimmie

Staff member
I really think parents and grandparents have fun with the Santa idea, and that's part of the reason why they do it. It's also the joy on a child's face when they think this imaginary person came all the way from the North Pole to give them presents. Of course, we in here all know that the focus should be on Christ...but just looking at it from another perspective.
:amen: I totally agree, with the real reason for celebrating Christmas.

Since the election, I''ve been missing my Dad and my grandparents, wishing they had been a part of seeing the first Black President of this country. They gave me so much in my life. Even the games. :yep: :lol:

Most of all, they gave us Jesus. For even when they played the games of 'Santa', Jesus was the one they gave thanks to for everthing.

Love and blessings to you and your loved ones, Divya. I pray above all things, that every blessing that God has for you, shall abound towards you and yours, eternally. And that your deepest prayers for your loved ones, bear much fruit that will never perish. :giveheart:

cutiebe2

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Did you ever tell her? :lachen:

too cute... :lol: At six you 'knew' Mommie's Handwriting. You were GOOD at being so observant at that young age. :detective:

I was a gifted child:king:

I think she saw the look on my face a realized she messed up. That was the last time I got a "Santa" gift

my children will have PRINTED labels on all Santa gifts...ill put them in script font:yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
I was a gifted child:king:

I think she saw the look on my face a realized she messed up. That was the last time I got a "Santa" gift

my children will have PRINTED labels on all Santa gifts...ill put them in script font:yep:
Hey! You are 'gifted'. :yep: :up: :yep:

Back then, not so much technology with my mom.... :rolleyes:

With Love from,
Santa
Put this label on your mom's gift and whisper, "Mommie, this is the way to do it." :lachen:

Happy Christmas to you and your beautiful family. :giveheart:

SoniT

I was about 8. My brother told me. He showed me the toys hidden in my mother's closet. Every year after that we used to look in the closet and try to find our gifts. My mom caught on and started hiding the gifts somewhere else. Even after we found out there was no Santa, my parents would still sign some of the gifts "From Santa." :)

SoniT

:lachen: :lachen: That's funny!