What's Wrong With "Boxed" Perms? (kinda' long)

Peachtree

What\'s Wrong With \"Boxed\" Perms? (kinda\' long)

I was in the bss today stocking up on supplies. My fav relaxer (Optimum No Lye- regular) was on sale $4.99 (regular $7.99) so I bought 3... yes, the "boxed" version.

Anywho, two ladies were shopping in the same aisle as myself. One of them politely struck up a conversation & began advising me to avoid "boxed" perms. When I asked why, she basically stated that they were of inferior quality to the "tubed" perms, and they will cause more breakage & overall hair damage.

I wasn't convinced, so again, I tried to probe a lil further. Was it the relaxer itself? Or the improper mixing of the relaxer with the color coded activator? Or was an important product missing from boxed perms? She couldn't really answer my questions, but made it quite known that she was a stylist (had the nerve to give me her card & everything) & knew from both her professionally & personal experiences that "they just aren't good for your hair".

I explained to her that I have had no problems with boxed perms in the 13 yrs that i have used them. At this point, her shopping partner (the jokester
mad.gif
) got in our on convo & was
shocked.gif
when I mentioned my 13 yrs usage. She even commented jokingly, "I know yo' hair gotta be messed up! Girl, give her yo' card." OK, I'M GETTING OFFENDED NOW, SO I JUST WANTED TO BE LEFT ALONE TO FINISH ENJOYING MY SHOPPING OUTTING. Btw, my hair was in a bun, covered with a satin bonnet, with a baseball cap on top. Not a pretty site, but I wasn't goin' for the cute look.... I just wanted to buy my stuff & go back home.

I proceeded to reading the labels on my products like i was doing before I was interrupted by those two.... the jokester asked me if I minded if they could see my hair. I VERY MUCH SO MINDED, but i wanted to SHUT THEM UP & MAKE 'EM FEEL STUPID for fronting me & my boxed perm
laugh.gif
like that. So I took off my b-ball cap, my bonnet & undid my bun. My hair looked exactly like it did in my June Pics (straight fully dried hair). The look on both of their faces said it all.. They looked like they saw a martian or something
shocked.gif
laugh.gif
.... total disbelief. The stylist woman even asked if she could "touch it", I guess she didn't believe it was real...I let her. I even finger parted it so she could get a better view
laugh.gif
. To conclude this, BOTH began asking me for hair advice.... Jesus, how quickly the tables turned.

Now, back to my question.... can someone tell me what's wrong with boxed perms? Another thing, this isn't the first time i was told to avoid them... but still, i truly don't know why
confused.gif

Thanks ladies,
Peachtree
Rose.gif

Re: What\'s Wrong With \"Boxed\" Perms? (kinda\' long)

Peachtree,

If I understand correctly, I am going to guess that they said not to use a box perm because it was a no-lye,as opposed to lye in the tub that you don't have to mix. Or were they referring to something else?

If it was whether or not it was lye, the pros and cons of a no-lye is that it is usually easier on your scalp, but tends to dry out your hair, though I cannot remember the technical term for the chemicals used in this one. However, some people use them successfully, Adrienne is another example of this.

The pros and cons of a lye perm is usually it is harsher on your scalp, but less harsh on your hair. But of course, this varies according to the individual.

You seem to have found something that works well for you.

She probably said that because more often than not, boxed perms are used by people who do their own hair. Basically, I think she was trying to tell you in a round about way to go to a professional (preferrably her) to get you hair done. The more people that buy boxed perms, the less people go to stylists. Remember, supposed "stylists" also trick us into constantly getting our ends trimmed so our hair will grow faster.
pinocchio.gif

<font color="purple">I wouldn't be surprised if she "hangs out" in beauty supply stores, just WAITING for someone to buy a boxed perm, or ANY product for that matter, so she can pull out her card, talk negatively about that product, and hopefully gain a customer!
sekret.gif
</font>
grin.gif
rofl.gif

(JUST KIDDING!)

<font color="purple"> Peachtree, your hair is proof that WHATEVER you are using is WORKING!!
trampoline.gif
</font>

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree,

If I understand correctly, I am going to guess that they said not to use a box perm because it was a no-lye,as opposed to lye in the tub that you don't have to mix. Or were they referring to something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

U know, maybe that's what they meant....maybe they were equating "box" perms to "No Lye".... so when they said "boxed" perms were damaging, maybe they were trying to say "No Lye" was damaging
confused.gif
. Dag, makes me wonder...that 1 lady was a stylist &amp; couldn't articulate that simple hair phrase?
laugh.gif

I've personally never purchased the "tubed" perms, so I have no knowledge of those... that's probably why i couldn't understand where they were coming from ... So i take it that "tubs" are "Lye" only? If so then i understand now.... shoot, all of that drama when she could've easily just said "No Lye is damaging..." instead of "boxed perms are damaging...". I actually thought that she was trying to say that "box perms" were inferior cuz they are priced cheaper... or something of that nature...

Thanks for your insight luv... it all makes perfect sense now
trampoline.gif

[ QUOTE ]
She probably said that because more often than not, boxed perms are used by people who do their own hair. Basically, I think she was trying to tell you in a round about way to go to a professional (preferrably her) to get you hair done. The more people that buy boxed perms, the less people go to stylists. Remember, supposed "stylists" also trick us into constantly getting our ends trimmed so our hair will grow faster.
pinocchio.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

U R sooo right Alireno
smile.gif
. Seeing me buy those boxed perms made her see "dolla bills", cuz she surely gave me her ole' tacky card
laugh.gif
before seeing my hair. Oooo, they are sooo "slithery slick".... I wasn't even thinking... shoulda' gave her that tacky card back when she started asking for my advice
laugh.gif
!!!

[ QUOTE ]
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
whew that was funny!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! Now that I've had my laugh for the day!

Girl,

Some people just can't believe.

In the end, I would have wanted to slap her with my long hair (right across her face).
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pinocchio.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I agree. This is probably what she was getting at.

I know what u mean, anit no shame in thier game, i was in Kmart last week to get some 911 leave in cond. when i got to the checkout the cashier gave me her card , talkin bout "i see you fixin to go mess up yo head , let give you my card" as she was baggin my stuff lol, i was saying to myself no she didnt give me her bussiness card up in here cahsiering at KMART lol

DarkChild

Geez. Some of these people have a lot of nerve. Let me ask you, what did her hair look like?

ya'll remind me of this female i know. this girl has never been near polite to me let alone nice but suddenly wanted to "cut me a deal" and braid my hair for only $20. all the while i'm thinkin' this ***** knows nothing about natural hair and mostly likely will mess me up, then try to chalk it up to me being' nappy headed and not having good hair( due to my texture and crazy uneven lengths, my hair always frizzes underneath. if you don't know hat your doing this will drive you nuts) folks got nereve you guys!

LMAO!!! what a great story!! the whole time i was reading it, i was thinking "please say you took your hair down... please say you took your hair down!" i wish i could have been a fly on the wall to see the look on their faces when you did. i would have said, "it's not the perm that helps it grow. it's actually the urine i rub in it before i rinse" so they'd walk around smelling like pee...
laugh.gif

before switching to Affirm Lye, i used the Dark &amp; Lovely No-Lye boxed perm for like 14 years. my stylist used that same boxed perm. yeah, my hair was short for many years, but that was because of all the heat i used. the perm itself did nothing damaging. for most of the boxed perms, i don't think it's the perm as much as the person applying it... and how they treat their hair on the regular...

p.s. just kidding about the urine.
pinocchio.gif

Fantastic story, what a way to shut somebody up. And how did their hair look??

I know many stylist whose hair was tore up, but swear they were taking care of somebody elses, GO FIGURE. I always made sure my hair looked good, I was walking advertisement for myself...because if I walked in a shop and nobodys hair looked good I would leave...lol. And if it did, I want the person who DID the hair that looks good!!

This story is priceless. I'm so glad you took your hair down Peachtree.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple">I wouldn't be surprised if she "hangs out" in beauty supply stores, just WAITING for someone to buy a boxed perm, or ANY product for that matter, so she can pull out her card, talk negatively about that product, and hopefully gain a customer!
sekret.gif
</font>
grin.gif
rofl.gif

(JUST KIDDING!)

<font color="purple"> Peachtree, your hair is proof that WHATEVER you are using is WORKING!!
trampoline.gif
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

You know now that i think about it, she was talking to someone else about products before she made her way to me. Dat danggone women probably WAS trying to sell yourself as a stylist
scratchchin.gif
. Well one things 4sho'... she &amp; her dumb friend kept on truckin after crossing my path
laugh.gif
!!! Maybe they'll have images me of
laugh.gif
&amp; think twice b4 showing out on someone like that again
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Girl,

Some people just can't believe.

In the end, I would have wanted to slap her with my long hair (right across her face).
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl.gif
Shooot, I'm ready for the next silly *****' that comes my way... I'll do one of those quick head turns in her face
laugh.gif
.....&amp; let my hair slap her right dead smack in her d*mn mouth...
laugh.gif
rofl.gif
.. too funny
rofl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I know what u mean, anit no shame in thier game, i was in Kmart last week to get some 911 leave in cond. when i got to the checkout the cashier gave me her card , talkin bout "i see you fixin to go mess up yo head , let give you my card" as she was baggin my stuff lol, i was saying to myself no she didnt give me her bussiness card up in here cahsiering at KMART lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, ain't that a mess
laugh.gif
!!!

[ QUOTE ]
i was saying to myself no she didnt give me her bussiness card up in here cahsiering at KMART lol

[/ QUOTE ]
rofl.gif
laugh.gif
.....girl, my stomach is hurting from laughing soooo much at that
laugh.gif
. Too too funny!!!

[ QUOTE ]
ya'll remind me of this female i know. this girl has never been near polite to me let alone nice but suddenly wanted to "cut me a deal" and braid my hair for only $20. all the while i'm thinkin' this ***** knows nothing about natural hair and mostly likely will mess me up, then try to chalk it up to me being' nappy headed and not having good hair( due to my texture and crazy uneven lengths, my hair always frizzes underneath. if you don't know hat your doing this will drive you nuts) folks got nereve you guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, she's up to something
laugh.gif
.... well at least u already know "what angle" she's coming from... She has already made her "angle" known by the way she treats u. Definitely feed that child with a very loooooong handle spoon....it appears that u r doing this already
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LMAO!!! what a great story!! the whole time i was reading it, i was thinking "please say you took your hair down... please say you took your hair down!" i wish i could have been a fly on the wall to see the look on their faces when you did. i would have said, "it's not the perm that helps it grow. it's actually the urine i rub in it before i rinse" so they'd walk around smelling like pee...
laugh.gif

before switching to Affirm Lye, i used the Dark &amp; Lovely No-Lye boxed perm for like 14 years. my stylist used that same boxed perm. yeah, my hair was short for many years, but that was because of all the heat i used. the perm itself did nothing damaging. for most of the boxed perms, i don't think it's the perm as much as the person applying it... and how they treat their hair on the regular...
pinocchio.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Adrienne, that is tooo funny
rofl.gif
They probably woulda' did it too
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ok, I gotta tell this part too. They started asking me "Gurrrrrrrl, what choo put in dat hair of yours got it so long &amp; purty like dat?"
rofl.gif
... I'm not lying, this is the exact way they asked me! I was laughing sooo hard til I couldn't talk, but they were as serious as can be... &amp; didn't crack a smile...ahh, it was soooo funny. One was checking out the products in my cart &amp; the other was staring at my hair with her jaw dropped... a danggone bird coulda' flew in, as wide as her mouth was
laugh.gif

I was gonna be a sweetheart &amp; tell them that I use S-Curl to keep my hair moisturized... but i was laughing so much I couldn't think of the name of it. All i could remember was that it came in a blue &amp; white spritz bottle.... girl, the one who was checking out my cart (the jokester) started running around that dang store looking for blue &amp; white bottles... she came back with like 5 bottles of different products (none of which were S-Curl) asking "is it this one"? "is it this one"?
laugh.gif
So I just picked one &amp; said, "yeah, it's that one".... She bought 2 of 'em.

I know, I'm bad... but she came back with bottles of, check this "SPRITZ", u know, the "Hardening Gel Drying Holding Spritz".
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
rofl.gif
. NOW WE GON' SEE WHOSE HAIR IS GON' B MESSED UP
trampoline.gif
. Hey, this is soooo much better than the urine
trampoline.gif
. I know, I should have been truthful, but heck, her stylist friend should be able to help her out!!!
laugh.gif
... I mean afterall, she has all of this "professional &amp; personal experience"...I didn't wanna go there but they were asking 4 it
fishslap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Fantastic story, what a way to shut somebody up. And how did their hair look??

I know many stylist whose hair was tore up, but swear they were taking care of somebody elses, GO FIGURE. I always made sure my hair looked good, I was walking advertisement for myself...because if I walked in a shop and nobodys hair looked good I would leave...lol. And if it did, I want the person who DID the hair that looks good!!

[/ QUOTE ]

A mess!!! One had a dried up brittle 4" or so ponytail with a rubber band holding it... this was the stylist!!! Her partna' in crime, the jokester hair actually looked nice. It looked like she had a fresh touch up. It was chin length, sorta bumped under, with the sides coming at an angle towards her face. I guess she thought that she was just "full of jokes" cuz she was sportin' a fresh lil do. She's the one who said my hair was messed up from boxed perms. She's also the one who ended up purchasing "SPRITZ" instead of S-Curl
trampoline.gif
. IT JUST DOESN'T PAY TO BE ARROGANT &amp; SNOOTY WITH PEOPLE!!! ....especially before u ask them for their advice
laugh.gif

Just as yourself, I also try to keep my hair looking decent, even if i'm just wearing a bun. This is the quickest, easiest, healthiest style there is!!!

Chipmunk, DatJerseyDyme, Zanna, Crysdon .....I agree, it was funny!!!
laugh.gif

Allandra, her hair was jacked, part weave with tons of gel around the edges and it was starting to flake up lol. What she said didnt really bother me, but the fact that she had the audassity to give out her card WHILE shes cashiering at Kmart is what got me lol, oh and i did ask her why she thought i was gonna mess up my head, was there something wrong with 911?, she said its alright but she just heard alot of people complaining about it breaks off thier hair. Well i have been using it for almost 2 wks now, and not one strand as come out.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

shoulda' gave her that tacky card back when she started asking for my advice
laugh.gif
!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i would have said, "it's not the perm that helps it grow. it's actually the urine i rub in it before i rinse" so they'd walk around smelling like pee...
laugh.gif

LMAO!!!

pinocchio.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
rofl.gif
laugh.gif
rofl.gif
laugh.gif

Back