Whats the Natural Scene Like Where You Live?

BlackMasterPiece

I'll start :) I live in NYC being natural here is very commonplace, widely accepted and often encouraged. You see people of all walks of life wearing their coils not just "artistic" types but on wall street and throughout the financial district.

My mom encouraged me to love myself fully since I can remember and she herself was natural 99% of my life....I've also been natural most of my life as well. Being natural is appreciated by men here tremendously....its pretty much normal for me, not something I have to consider in terms of career, social life or family reactions....the only thing I worry about when it comes to my natural hair is what style I'm gonna rock and how I'l do it lol.

So whats the natural scene like where you live?

MizzBrit

i dont see it at ALL..its weave/relaxed city here...i tried looking for any naturals(4a/b types the most) and couldnt come across any..glad i can stand out though..

Solitude

I was JUST thinking about this today. I'm not natural, but I remember when I moved to the DMV, literally being shocked at the number of people who were natural. I walked through Wheaton Mall in Maryland and almost nobody had a relaxer, except for me and my sister.

I'm from Houston and at first glance, people might think that being natural is frowned upon - a lot of my friends wear weaves and straight hair, BUT a lot of them are actually relaxer-free under their weaves!!! I also know a lot of naturals who straighten. It may just be my circle of friends, but most of my friends and law school colleagues are natural or transitioning.

kim

I live in Kentucky, and everyone seems to want to follow what the next person is doing. Having your hair bone straight has always been the "must" and pretty much rocking the same hair style as everyone else. I have been very suprised at the amount of naturals I've been spotting around. I've been seeing more and more Locs, TWAs, curly dos and fros!!! I'm excited that people are starting to do their own thang lol!!!

BeautifulRoots

Natural hair is becoming more common where I'm at. A lot of people I know have been doing their big chops within the last year or so, so twa's are becoming the norm. I am in college though so that may be the difference...

Stiletto_Diva

I'm in Seattle and I have been seeing a lot more naturals lately. I BC'd almost 2 years ago and since then 3 of my friends have become natural and one is considering it. I've also learned that a lot of people that I thought were relaxed are naturals that wear there hair pressed all the time.

PPGbubbles

*sigh* I live in so cal and being natural is NOT commonplace....although I am seeing more "natural weaves" lol...but more like the looser curl types

Men gravitate toward the girls w/ weaves out here... I notice the number of men I "attract" nearly doubles when I have in a long straight weave.

Vashti

it's about half and half out here where I live (Portland, Or). A lot of women wear their hair relaxed but just as many wear their hair natural or in braids. Depends on who you hang with.

PistolWhip

*sigh* I live in so cal and being natural is NOT commonplace....although I am seeing more "natural weaves" lol...but more like the looser curl types

Men gravitate toward the girls w/ weaves out here... I notice the number of men I "attract" nearly doubles when I have in a long straight weave.[/QUOTE]

I also live in so cal and totally agree with your observations!

ChristmasCarol

I see women with natural hair every time I go to the grocery store, mall, etc. I have noticed that I see FAR more natural hair in suburban/upscale neighborhoods. In the hood - very few. My mother and her sisters never wore relaxers. They get the old-school "press and curl". Nobody knows I've been transitioning (other than family) for 10 months, and unless I tell them, I suspect they won't know. I usually wear my hair flatironed, but the texlax that's growing out and my natural texture aren't that different.

With that said, nobody can know who's natural or not, unless you ask them.

KaramelDiva1978

I am here in South Louisiana and I've been seeing more naturals lately. Idk how long it will last because if there is ONE we have it is a HOTTTTTT summer, and LOTS of humidity!! I have had a few friends transition and then quickly go back to relaxers just to hold on to hairstyles. More commonplace are the naturals rockin braids or other PS.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I'm in L.A. although I'm starting to see more natural heads floating around, I think this is still the weave capital.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

I'm in Greensboro NC and most of naturals I see here wear locs. There are lots of men and women with locs. I see more and more girls going natural on campus, lots of BCs.

BlackMasterPiece

I see women with natural hair every time I go to the grocery store, mall, etc. I have noticed that I see FAR more natural hair in suburban/upscale neighborhoods. In the hood - very few. My mother and her sisters never wore relaxers. They get the old-school "press and curl". Nobody knows I've been transitioning (other than family) for 10 months, and unless I tell them, I suspect they won't know. I usually wear my hair flatironed, but the texlax that's growing out and my natural texture aren't that different.

With that said, nobody can know who's natural or not, unless you ask them.
@ the bolded VERY similar here in NY as well...relaxers are still big in the hoods of NY but in the yuppie upwardly mobile, neighborhoods natural is the way to be.

I live in Southern California. It's almost non-existent. It's still long weave central. I live in the suburbs; so, I don't know what it's like in L.A., though. Unfortunately, it's color-struck central as well. But, in my hometown of Philly, there are more naturals coming out and up, including my two first cousins.

Bouncin&Behavin

I see naturals everywhere I go. It's kind of like when you buy a car, you start seeing it everywhere and you never saw it before. I don't know if more women are choosing to go natural or if I just notice now because I wish I was 100% natural.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I'm in Greensboro NC and most of naturals I see here wear locs. There are lots of men and women with locs. I see more and more girls going natural on campus, lots of BCs.
:yep::yep: sometimes i feel like Captain Save-a-TWA with the amount of questions I get asked.
i don't mind though.:grin:

on my campus, most girls rock weaves and braids to save time, but there are a few naturals floating around. we're tryin to plan a meetup.
I still stand out though, with the amount of styling i do to my hair. most naturals are either pressed, in a puff, or in braids. how boring-IMO.

LadyRaider

I'm in central Texas on a college campus, mostly. I see more weaves than naturals. Mostly relaxed heads. Girls be trying to look cute though. That's the important thing.

HairSupremacy

In Florida, I do not come across a lot of naturals. I would say maybe 30% are natural from what I've seen thus far. I could also be generous by giving it 30%, but not a whole lot.

pinkchocolatedaisy

I live in San Diego CA & I really don't see that many naturals! There are only like 5 black people at my job lol and I'm the only natural. Even among my friends I'm the only natural. There just aren't that many naturals that I've noticed at least.

NikStarrr

I'm in ATL and there are a lot of naturals here. There's a lot of everything here--it's very easy to find your niche. haha

brebre928

I'm from Maryland (The DMV, DC...MD...VA) I'm starting to see more naturals around here now then ever before.

Imani

Nonexistent. I live in a small southern town, i rarely see any naturals. everyone is relaxed.

I spend the weekends in Atl tho and I see plenty of naturals there. as the above poster said theres some of everything in atl. i see a HEAVY amount of weave in atl tho.

LongHairNWaiting

HOUSTON - TWA's are popping up all over the place! It is becoming more acceptable in the workforce. I love seeing my sistah's with their TWA's and dressed in their corporate wear! *whew* <You go gurl> Is all I can think of when I see them. MAKES ME FREAK'N PROUD! :)~

My hair is growing I am now approx. 9months post my bc, and my co-workers keep staring at my head (seems like) every day! I am rock'n the MOHAWK today for the first time.. <cheez'n>

Since my bc 9 months ago, I have seen 3 other women on my floor cut their hair off. The funny thing is, I believe that white women think we are doing it as a FAD, so I see them cutting theirs off too. They can't sport what we've got!!! And the crazy thing is, they have no clue as to why my sistahs are going low~and growing again!...lolorol...I love it! Love it! Love it!

Foufie

Well I around here in Hampton Roads (va beach, norfolk area) I see quite a few naturals but i think it iis because I am now and I just started noticing. But we definitely DO NOT have majority or even half the consensus. And we still get thos"comments". But it is becoming more common, slowly but surely

LynnieB

I think everyone in my neck o' the woods must be long haul protective stylin' :ohwell:

Hoping to see more when the weather warms up though.