What pomade do you use?

inthepink

I'm curious to know if any of you use pomade and if so, what brand?

Currently, my pomade of choice is Motions Shine Enhancing Pomade. I like it because it helps to add shine when I mix it in with gel. I'm also finding that it's good at smoothing on it's own used in small amounts. And the best thing is that it's not as greasy as most pomades.

Before using Motions, I was using Aura Humectant Pomade which I loved until realized I could never lean my head against a wall or anyone's shirt b/c it's mega greasy. And the "lovely" smell got old really fast.

Many years ago, I used to use Let's Jam but it was similar as far as greasiness to the Aura.

inthepink

Good Question, HH.
I am not exactly sure but I consider pomade to be something to use as a final touch or as a styling product.

Hairgrease seems to be something you'd put all throughout your hair. Maybe people do that with hairgrease? Maybe it's just a new term? I consider my Proclaim Coconut Oil to be a hairgrease and not a pomade.

If anyone knows the true difference, I'd love to hear it also.

ComfortablyNumb

I use salon selectives pomade. It's not greasy at all and it smooths down edges like nobodies business but i only use it on my edges and sparingly. It makes my edges really shiny, too. I love it!

kinikini

I use Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade. It really holds the style for the popoular "tousled" short cuts and is never greasy! You only need a dab or two to get the effect and that's good since it isn't cheap!

As an alternative I use CitreShine's glossing pomade (can build up after a few uses) or an anti-frizz serum like Got2B So Smooth serum or John Frieda's Relax serum.

Hope this helps!

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
I use Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade. It really holds the style for the popoular "tousled" short cuts and is never greasy! You only need a dab or two to get the effect and that's good since it isn't cheap!

As an alternative I use CitreShine's glossing pomade (can build up after a few uses) or an anti-frizz serum like Got2B So Smooth serum or John Frieda's Relax serum.

Hope this helps!

[/ QUOTE ]

How does Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade work with your moisturizers? I bought it in the past but I hesitate using it because since it is supposed to prevent moisture from getting on the hair. Will it interfere with moisturizers? Or do you moisturize your hair then apply the Anti-Humectant? Does it really work in humid weather to prevent frizzies?

kinikini

Hi Isis --

I found out that Aveda also makes a Humectant pomade, but after I got hooked on the Anti-Humectant formula. Yes, it supposedly repels moisture but it's never caused any undue dryness for me. I usually wrap my hair the night before using a leave in conditioner like Aveda Elixir and some Proclaim Natural 7 oil on the ends. In the morning, after I style, the pomade just works to continue locking the moisture in... And I live in Miami where it is intensely humid for alot of the year, and it does an excellent job of keeping the frizzies away.. My style stays sleek and polished-looking all day long - with no greasy feel.

inthepink

I used to use Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade religiously for 4-5 years when I relaxed. Once I started transitioning, it did absolutely NOTHING for me.

caress

[ QUOTE ]
I'm considering using Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Ice Pomade or Proclaim Crystal Ice Smooth Styling Pomade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of these are idemtical BTW. I own both but the Proclaim version ius cheaper.

Kaela

I really like Got2Be Defiant Pomade for my edges, but I use it on hair that has been dampened with water or leave-in conditioner. It smooths down my edges and is shiny and has a great citrus fragrance.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
I used to use Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade religiously for 4-5 years when I relaxed. Once I started transitioning, it did absolutely NOTHING for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Hairlove about sharing your usage of the Aveda Anti-Humectant as a pomade before you transitioned. I have a question.

I knew this week we would have very humid days so two nights ago I did my usual hair regime and after applying my leave-in (I used Biolage for the first time and loved it!) and sealing my ends with my Care for Ends, I smoothed my wet hair into a bun with a little Aveda Anti-Humectant. When it finally air-dried the next day, I applied a little more as I put my hair into a French Twist. Today, I wore a French Twist again after applying a little more Aveda. I'm also keeping my ends moisturized before applying the pomade. So far, my hair looks and feels totally moisturized, is very smooth and shiny, is very soft and smells so good. It's doing pretty well in this humidity so far.

You said you used yours for 4-5 years religiously when your hair was relaxed. Did you moisturize your ends daily before applying the Aveda? Is Aveda Anti-Humectant sealing in the moisture when applied on the hair? How much did you use every day? Did you experience any buildup of Aveda before your next washing? (I guess it was more than one question!)Thank you in advance!

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Isis --

I found out that Aveda also makes a Humectant pomade, but after I got hooked on the Anti-Humectant formula. Yes, it supposedly repels moisture but it's never caused any undue dryness for me. I usually wrap my hair the night before using a leave in conditioner like Aveda Elixir and some Proclaim Natural 7 oil on the ends. In the morning, after I style, the pomade just works to continue locking the moisture in... And I live in Miami where it is intensely humid for alot of the year, and it does an excellent job of keeping the frizzies away.. My style stays sleek and polished-looking all day long - with no greasy feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinikini-

I want to address you also on post above since you have been using the Aveda Anti-Humectant regularly on your relaxed hair. You wrote it locks the moisture in but do you use yours every day and can you moisturize your ends daily, then apply the Aveda on all of your hair? Thank you also!

inthepink

Hello Isis,

When I used the anti-humectant pomade by Aveda, I used it to moisturize my ends and just as a general moisturizer. Back back, I wasn't a product junkie. This pomade was my only moisturizer (besides conditioner and leave-in conditioner. I used it on average every other day and I didn't experience any buildup. The anti-humectant pomade seems like more of a grease than a pomade...imo. When is started transitioning, I saw that it did nothing to help my hair lay down. It just seemed to lay on top...

Isis

Hairlove -

I didn't know it can be used as a general moisturizer. Maybe I'm getting caught up on the words "Anti-Humectant" which to me seems to say "moisture repellent", which it is. Originally, I thought it was preventing the hair from getting moisturized and I was hesitant to use it.
Thank you for your reply.

inthepink

Isis,

I never understood the wording either. But this is what the salons that I went to growing up used this all the time on my hair to moisturize it. My hair always seemed great so I started buying it and using it myself. Good luck. I think it works great on relaxed hair.

keez1979

I have never used a pomade. Are these what make your hair shiny and lay down around the edges (but not hard like gel)??? Do you use them just to pull your hair back?

[ QUOTE ]
i like the kemi oyl shea butter pomade. makes my hair nice and soft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering about the kemi oyl shea butter pomade. Does it work better than the oyl??