What keeps you motivated to PS?

empressri

laziness. if my hair is in a wash and go i have to cowash every couple days else it just starts looking crazy. when i get off work at night i may not feel like doing my hair.

my hair is twisted right now and it's been in a bun all day. all i do is oil them at night which takes less than one minute. doesnt get easier than that!

maxineshaw

1. Laziness.
2. Buns are the only styles I can do without looking like Blanka from Street Fighter. :look:

Dang...that's ruff.:lol:

For me...I have zero motivation. The last time I twisted my hair was April 25, 2010. Before that was May 28, 2008.

Pathetic, I know....:rolleyes:

silenttullip

On my end its moreso fear of breakage lol and SO isn't crzy about my natural hair although he does his best to help with it and compliment it. So I don't want him to see it so it stays covered unless on wash day.

Evolving78

i need some motivation. i have the worst case of HIH disease:nono:

yeah, my hands were in my hair a little too much. i had to hide it from my hands or else i'll do something stupid. plus i got a lot things going on right now. i can't be bothered worrying about my hair.

Imani

The fact that I've struggled to get past sl forever to no avail. And now w protective styling I finally have a shot at apl this year. Don't want to mess that up. Plus no one believes my hair can get that long, so want to prove it to them and to myself

I just did a 4.5 mo stretch w no heat, just plaited under a half wig. The results were amazing.

Also, its quick and easy. I like not having to fool w my hair much except wash day. It keeps my hands out of it. And also don't have to worry about it when I work out.

Also I know I will have more style options w longer hair. So yea its kinda boring now but later it will be worth it and then I will try more styles and wear it out more.

Plus I like the wow factor. After wearing it up for extended periods when u finally wear it out people r like "d#mn!"

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Long Hair Care Forum App

PearlyCurly

1. Laziness.
2. Buns are the only styles I can do without looking like Blanka from Street Fighter. :look:

Very true. I have never been able to get past APL, but if it wasnt for laziness..and the laziness leading to "low manipulation" i dont even think i would have been APL:lachen:I treated my hair like a step child back then, but of course being lazy had its benefits, me not touching my hair really help me keep some fur on my head:smirk:

Now i am still lazy but i am taking care of my hair at the same time, i have a very simple regimen and now my hair has gotten past APL. I have tried all the crazy regimens but buns, co-washing, DCing, shampooing, and laziness gave me the best results, and keeps me going:alcoholic

sweetpeadee

I would have to say....ALL OF THE ABOVE!!! Delayed gratification, my 2011 (and long term) goal, but mostly....LAZINESS (LunadeMiel)!!!! I love my hair but can't stand having to do it EVERY morning when it's out...

NikkiGirl

I PS everyday and I am very close to waist. So meeting my goals are keeping me motivated. And when I was growing up, my mom really wasn't into hair, my aunt would braid my hair and put it into a bun, so I was PSing before I even knew what it was. I have always been in the mind frame that wearing my hair out is for special occasions. Although, I will start to wear it out more once I meet my goals.

HappilyLiberal

I'm transitioning...

So, it's either PS or BC or use heat weekly because after 3 months my hair no longer looks presentable without using one of those options.

And, since I hate my hair short, BC is not an option.

itismehmmkay

Since I'm taking pics all the time, my comparison shot for the end of the year is my motivation. Just seeing at least four more inches from now til Dec is going to be awesome.

Plus I like how I look with my hair pulled back so can't wait til I have a real bun back there

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

andromeda

Watching period dramas and salivating over the banging protective styles and hair accessories. Makes me realize that ps'ing can be fun and novel - a reward in and of itself

Laziness

Buying new wigs

Thinking about how regretful I'll be if i don't reach my length goals or if i reach them with uneven hair, wispy ends and sparse edges. :nono: I know it's already gonna be a struggle for me since i have fine strands and sensitive edges, so I might as well not carelessly place more stumbling blocks on the path of my hhj.

Urban

Hair laziness, I work a lot of hours... the last thing i want to do on most days is hair.

That said, sometimes doing hair can be somewhat therapeutic though. It just depends on my mood I guess.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Taking regular progress pics and putting it next to my staring pic. Posting that in my siggy keps my progress in front of me. This and looking forward to my next progress pic keeps me motivated. :yep:

TraciChanel

For me, the longer my hair gets, the harder it is to manage (yep, laziness). So, I keep it braided (in a PS: weave) and I take it out every 3 months - just to redo it and put it right back in. Every time my family sees my hair they are literally staring with their mouths open at the growth I've received. That's priceless. So the PS definitely works and I love seeing the results every few months (as well as other people's reactions). That keeps me motivated. :yep:

shasha8685

Mainly the weather. In AL, it's too hot to wear my hair out in the summer (and summer here is from April/May-October). When I do wear my hair out, it gets in the way and I wind up bunning it.

It's a never ending cycle lol

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I want to continue to progress with hair growth. It is hard for me to PS. I hate that my twists look super fuzzy, though.:nono: I am going to keep practicing because I am almost there. The middle/crown part of my hair is the most course and hard to twist. It is the problem area for me to work with right now. It is the slowest growing part of my hair. Once I get the twists down in that area, I think I will get more even growth all over.

NikStarrr

Actually, the motivation to PS comes from watching the PS styles I use to hate starting to look better and better because the growth I've gotten. My twists are below my shoulders, my buns are big, etc. So I actually now have PS styles that I think are cute. It's really encouraging.

-PYT

The fact that it takes me so long to do my hair in one sitting that most times I don't want to deal with it for two weeks at a time :) hence, I'm leaving it alone and letting it flourish.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
My desire for long hair, fast length retention, plus, protective styles are easy to do and last a while making low manipulation a breeze.

Vashti

I remember all those years when I would look in the mirror and my hair just looked ...:nono: and I didn't know what to do about it except get box braids put in or just shave it off completely in order to feel attractive.

I see too much progress to fall down on the job now. When I look in the mirror I feel good about my hair these days because it looks so much better and it's longer than it's been in many years. That keeps me motivated.

I'm also lazy. I don't do my hair except on wash day and then I'll touch it up a few days later. Laziness helps.:grin:

kittikat24

I'm encouraged to PS because it got me from barely SL to healthy APL...and ever since then, its been a habit I can't really break...:look:

WantNatural

I've only been bunning for the last 22 days, but I PS'd almost my whole transition and retained every centimeter! just started again because I'm tired of seeing people who have been relaxer free about the same time as me with APL or longer hair, and I just made SL! :perplexed I didn't do what I should have the last few months to retain my length, so I'm doing it now. I want APL by the end of the year, and I'm also excited to see reach the point where I can wear my own bun instead of adding weave hair, and excited to see how big it will get! :grin:

tasha7239

Like eveyone else has said..its the progress that keeps me bunning (my PS of choice). So many ladies have grown their hair to amazing lenghts by PSing. I have slacked off my regi a lot but I will always bun my hair. If I get a wash and roller set within the next 48 hours, I have put my hair back in a bun. I am a bunaholic. I actually think my ends are making me crazy. If they are on my shirt, the weather is too hot, too cold, rubbing against my seat....whatever I get very nervous and bun. Once you do it long enough it becomes habit. When I reach my goal of BSL I hope I can wear my hair down more.

ericajoy

I'm a big believer in being motivated by stuff you like to do. I like buns, so now that my hair is finally long enough to put in a bun, I do it. I didn't protective style before now (it's been almost a year since my BC) because I just couldn't find a style I liked. I can't stand extra hair on my head (had braids once and they drove me crazy) and I also can't for the life of me make cute twists (my hair is fine and a lot of scalp shows) so I didn't protective style much before now.

I don't beat myself up about it -- I just focused on other healthy hair habits, like minimizing direct heat, deep conditioning, and moisturizing. Maybe I didn't retain every centimeter of growth, but I like having a low-pressure approach to my hair, even if it means it's not perfectly maintained. :)