What keeps you motivated to continue your hair journey?

What is your motivation?

• Growth/Retention

Votes: 170 73.0%
  • Discovering new products (ex. oils, butters, etc)

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Being on the varies hair boards

Votes: 21 9.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 32 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It would be the dot over the i for me.
I am tall, slim, dress well, pretty and I think that long hair will just make me extra gorgeous...Yes, I said it and I mean it.
I think long and healthy hair is very feminine and i think it reflects how a woman takes care of her self.
Besides, I don't like short hair on me.

:yep: ^^ What she said!

When I see somebody who is a hair goddess that just inspires me to continue on this journey. On 10 Things I Hate About Myself show, there was a Mexican national translator living in CA and she had the most beautiful waistlength wavy-kinky hair possible. Even the coloring was awesome. It was dark brown/black at the roots, graduating to reddish middle towards the ends. Gorgeous.

Seeing the progress my hair has made in two years
Knowing that I was responsible for it getting to this poing and NOT hair dressers
Having people come up to me and ask what I do to maintain the hair
Compliments from random people
Seeing my husband's mouth drop when I told him it was my hair :D
Seeing my hair inspirations on this board both natural and relaxed attain their goals

Plus I think I look good with long hair :D :lachen:

#1. Seeing progress. I'm going to the salon tomorrow. I already know I have more NG at 17 weeks post this time around than I had last year at 19 weeks post. I'm not realxing, only having a rollerset and my roots pressed.

#2. Having others compliment me on my hair. It happens all the time, even in buns. I don't know how to react sometimes. Not that I haven't had compliments in the past, its just knowing I'm taking care of my hair myself a good 75-80% of the time and my stylist supports my hair practices, it makes me want to keep doing what I'm doing.

#3. I want to see how long I can get as an adult before I say it's too much. I was MBL as a preteen and haven't seen it since. It's not that I haven't made it again through lack of trying, but for lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
My daughter motivates me to keep going on this hair journey. We have been in this together from day one, and we now have beautiful healthy hair thanks to LHCF :yep:

what's keeping me motivated at this particular time is the idea of not having to deal with this ng for much longer.

i'm almost 16 weeks post (this thursday) and cannot wait to feel my flat haired scalp again, finally!

(this is the longest stretch ever!)

finding out what my hair likes
seeing others progress
knowing that I can do it, as long as I work for it and avoid heat
wanting to break stereotypes

what keeps me motivated??

the health of my hair as well al the knowledge Ive gained that I'm able to pass down to my 2 daughters

also since joining hair boards.. I got the courage to transition -YAY me! and I want to be able to maintain my own hair.. I used to be one of those chicks who felt she couldnt go anywhere if her hair wasnt 'done', but now that I'm learning to take care of my hair on my own.. I no longer have 'bad hair days'

Three reasons

-Sheer determination!!!I BC'd in Feb. and no one can tell me I can't reach WL. I don't care how long it takes.

-I also REALLY want to set anexample for AA women that it IS possible. I have some friends that are following my progress and I want them to be inspired.

-I want to grow my DD's hair long and teach her healthy hair practices. I want her to know she can have it too. If she cuts it later, so be it. She'll atleast know she can. What I learn about my hair I'll pass to my DD and, hopefully, she'll pass it on, too.

i've wanted to perm a couple of times but i always remind myself that this was a goal i set and i have to see it through. i also love looking at pics of other naturals. seeing how beautiful their hair is motivates me to continue and hopefully achieve that look

I also love helping my sister. She has struggled with her hair, it used to be so long when she was little and her eczema got really bad especially on her scalp. She had to go on medication (prednisone and other steroids) and I believe that the meds and the scratching ruined her hair. She never relaxed it, but started wearing weaves in middle school that were too tight which made the situation worse.

She has been wear wigs instead for the past year, but her real hair is about shoulder length now and is absolutely gorgeous, natural and i think she is about a 3b. I taught her about moisturizing, sealing and deep conditioning. I love seeing how her natural hair is thriving and i know that since she wears wigs, that even more of a reason why she is retaining all her length and will probably outgrow me! :)

1. Drive to get to MBL/WSL

2. Perhaps start a local business venture. There is TONS of information online but I don't think it's out there in our communities (at least not not mine). I really want to help other AA women. Unfortunately, my free advice and APL isn't making much of a statement right now but ONE DAY!!!

3. My future daughters!

it's sexy and I can rub it in people's face that its not a weave. plus, I want my boyfriend play with it.

^^^ :yep: Ms. Bellebebe is on my wavelength. It has been a year, and I had a setback that made me want to quit and clean out my hair closet. But my greatest motivation is the way DH runs his fingers through it. Although it has been longer, it has never been this healthy. He is able to play in it with no breakage and I am amazed at how much it turns him on. :blush:

Last edited:
My future children. I want them to believe the hair that grows out of their scalp can grow long and beautiful.

The idea that maybe one day I can a HUGE loose bun on top of my head

My husband adores my natural hair (when it was relaxed he didnt really care) and I believe if it was longer I would feel even more invincible.

Ultimately, it's the thought and mental image of me with the lovely and bodified lengthy locks so smoothly fluffy and shiny it makes others jealous, and me proud I maintain superbly awesome haircare!

But day-to-day it's also me seeing photos of OTHER ladies further along on their journey than I am, and thinking......I BET I CAN DO THAT TOO. However, seeing pictures of so many with such gorgeous hair can also be discouraging, intimidating, and a real question of my confidence in my own hair care abilities as well as hair quality.

Hope.

It seems that just when I'm ready to give up, I learn something new to keep my hair healthy. My first breakthrough was conditioning and then it was moisture/protein balance, then porosity, and then so on and so on. Everything new I learn gives me hope and the hope for longer hair keeps me motivated. I don't know if I'll accomplish all of my goals, but I'd like to see how far I can go.

For now? A mild to moderate hair obsession. When the hyper interest runs out of steam, I hope to know my hair best and have a simple no frills routine that works for me.

1. Remembering the smell of perm 2. Being able to scratch my scalp whenever I want to.
3. Looking at how thick and healthy my new growth is compared to my fried,dry, relaxed ends

Back