What is the difference between 3c and 4a hair?

AvaSpeaks

This is fun!
Our hair is soo amazing! I love all the variety.

BMP - according to the pictures you've posted I'm a 3bc - maybe some 3a. I have mostly silky texture and it's fine but dense. Would you agree?

I agree with Flowergirl - my hair wet looks straight/wavy. It dries with curls.

Can ya'll help me with my girls?

DD2 - she's 2. Her hair is very curly. Here it is freshly washed and styled.

It doesn't stay that smooth though. As the day goes on, it gets fuzzy at the crown and the pigtails are more poofy:

DD1 is so far my hair twin:
Here is her hair in a wng

a different wng - different products- her curls are tighter here?!?

and hair styled in ponytails

If you look in my photobucket account in the folder called "experiments with my girls" (password in profile) you'll see how different their hair can look depending upon the style, product, and manipulation. What would you say their hairtypes are?

TIA!

I think we get so caught up in using ONLY Type 3 and Type 4 as possible combinations, that we forget about other combos?

Clearly these children have either some Type or Type 2 to their hair. More like maybe 3a/3c and then maybe 2b/3c or 2b/3a. There is no Type 4 in any of these children's hair.

That's why I don't like and stop hair typing my hair. There are possible combinations that are not going to fit our "usual" hair types that run here on this board.

MilkChocolateOne

I think we get so caught up in using ONLY Type 3 and Type 4 as possible combinations, that we forget about other combos?

Clearly these children have either some Type or Type 2 to their hair. More like maybe 3a/3c and then maybe 2b/3c or 2b/3a. There is no Type 4 in any of these children's hair.

That's why I don't like and stop hair typing my hair. There are possible combinations that are not going to fit our "usual" hair types that run here on this board.

These girls do not have any type 2 hair. Type 2 hair does not curl, it only waves. I think you are confusing their silky texture with type. Andre's system only types according to the presence of a curl pattern and the diameter of the curl. His system does not type according to density, texture, shine, strand size or anything else.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
These girls do not have any type 2 hair. Type 2 hair does not curl, it only waves. I think you are confusing their silky texture with type. Andre's system only types according to the presence of a curl pattern and the diameter of the curl. His system does not type according to density, texture, shine, strand size or anything else.

wow-
thanks mco- I would never classify any of our hair is 2. I think the wave comes from brushing the curls into styles.

BlackMasterPiece

Exactly.

This is type 2 hair.....not even close to wavesncurls daughter's texture.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
What's the difference between a spiral, corkscrew, and a coil? Is the spiral the loosest of the three and the coil the tightest?

O-ren

I am so lost when it comes to my hair type. I've been saying 3c/4a. I may be right, but I'm not sure. From looking at different pictures on different websites, I don't know where I fit in. I was thinking about it today, and I think if I put on a Yakima, then it would be sitting on my 4a and everything else would be 3c. Alas, I am unsure. Can someone please help me out here?! :look:

The smallest the curls (at my crown) are about straw size, and in the front they are pen, and behind my ears they are about the size of chalk, and do not like to curl at all.

I think my hair is fine, and I have yet to do the porosity test, but I'll do that in a minute and update.

ETA: Did the porosity test on three strands and they all float. Woohoo! I'm glad that isn't an issue, now I just have to find my staple moisturizer (looking at Qhemets and Darcy's).

Last edited:

ChristmasCarol

Calling NONIE!

My hair is a mixture of textures and some parts don't seem to fit into a catagory at all.

Exhibit A:
S-top that will curl up for nothing

Exibit B:
Curls in back, topped up with (what I imagine to be) 3Z (FRIZZ)

No product, airdryed:
No I do not go out like this

I guess I need solutions more than typing but still....

Nina, we're hair twins! My crown doesn't match the rest of my hair and it doesn't curl, either. I have corkscrews in the rear just like you, too. I measured my crown today while flatironing and it's 16 inches, while the curly hair in the rear is only about 10 inches. I'm always cutting my crown and thought I had a retention problem with the curly hair, but when I look at the new growth, the looser hair actually grows faster. I've been transitioning for a year, so it's easy to compare progress. Because of this, I always have a "mushroom". I have to cut the crown often so it doesn't hang so far below the rest of the hair. The bsl hair in my siggy is from the crown, underneath, the hair is noticeably shorter.

Because of the constant need to trim, I don't know how I'll ever achieve long lengths with hair like this.:perplexed

NikkiGirl

This is a very interesting thread. In any case, all you ladies have lovely curls. I can't wait until mine grows out.

BostonMaria

3B

3C

~*~*~*~*~*~

Just wanted to point out that as my hair grew, I have more S waves than curls. I do have curls, but they're more at the bottom now not all over. I know its because of the length and my hair weighing down. This is why I don't pay attention to hair types. My hair looked more like the second picture, now it looks more like the first.

The front of my hair has absolutely no curl pattern, just S waves and it frizzes up like nothing I've ever seen. So does that mean its 3a? Its weird because altho we aren't supposed to take into consideration the kinkiness, I think most people do. Oh and no I'm not claiming 3a LOL :grin:

Last edited:

drappedup

This is fun!
Our hair is soo amazing! I love all the variety.

BMP - according to the pictures you've posted I'm a 3bc - maybe some 3a. I have mostly silky texture and it's fine but dense. Would you agree?

I agree with Flowergirl - my hair wet looks straight/wavy. It dries with curls.

Can ya'll help me with my girls?

DD2 - she's 2. Her hair is very curly. Here it is freshly washed and styled.

It doesn't stay that smooth though. As the day goes on, it gets fuzzy at the crown and the pigtails are more poofy:

DD1 is so far my hair twin:
Here is her hair in a wng

a different wng - different products- her curls are tighter here?!?

and hair styled in ponytails

If you look in my photobucket account in the folder called "experiments with my girls" (password in profile) you'll see how different their hair can look depending upon the style, product, and manipulation. What would you say their hairtypes are?

TIA!

Soooooo cuuuuute! I just had to comment and say! I love it when moms take good care of their little girl's hair! I see so many day to day with poorly treated hair. :perplexed

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Just wanted to point out that as my hair grew, I have more S waves than curls. I do have curls, but they're more at the bottom now not all over. I know its because of the length and my hair weighing down. This is why I don't pay attention to hair types. My hair looked more like the second picture, now it looks more like the first.

The front of my hair has absolutely no curl pattern, just S waves and it frizzes up like nothing I've ever seen. So does that mean its 3a? Its weird because altho we aren't supposed to take into consideration the kinkiness, I think most people do. Oh and no I'm not claiming 3a LOL :grin:

Same for me.
Also, BMP, when wet, my hair looks like the 2 hair you posted above. Not when it dries though!:grin:

Nina_deF

Nina, we're hair twins! My crown doesn't match the rest of my hair and it doesn't curl, either. I have corkscrews in the rear just like you, too. I measured my crown today while flatironing and it's 16 inches, while the curly hair in the rear is only about 10 inches. I'm always cutting my crown and thought I had a retention problem with the curly hair, but when I look at the new growth, the looser hair actually grows faster. I've been transitioning for a year, so it's easy to compare progress. Because of this, I always have a "mushroom". I have to cut the crown often so it doesn't hang so far below the rest of the hair. The bsl hair in my siggy is from the crown, underneath, the hair is noticeably shorter.

Because of the constant need to trim, I don't know how I'll ever achieve long lengths with hair like this.:perplexed

Yay, finally a hairtwin!
I'm so sorry though, I wouldn't wish parts of my hair on anybody.....

I was debating cutting the looser texture to avoid the mullet but as it is now I wouldn't be able to make a high ponytail without that length so I'm trying to ride out the mullet phase. I hope it will all even out by Chrstmas.... Until then I'll keep looking for the miracle curling creams to "correct" the S's and 3z frizz on top!

ChristmasCarol

Yay, finally a hairtwin!
I'm so sorry though, I wouldn't wish parts of my hair on anybody.....

I was debating cutting the looser texture to avoid the mullet but as it is now I wouldn't be able to make a high ponytail without that length so I'm trying to ride out the mullet phase. I hope it will all even out by Chrstmas.... Until then I'll keep looking for the miracle curling creams to "correct" the S's and 3z frizz on top!

You know your hair's pretty, even if it is bi-polar, lol

Nina, Have you ever tried curl activator? I think I'll go get some and see if it will work on natural hair. :yep:

Last edited:

Nina_deF

You know your hair's pretty, even if it is bi-polar, lol

Nina, Have you ever tried curl activator? I think I'll go get some and see if it will work on natural hair. :yep:

The only one I've tried is S-curl (back in the day) during my first transition try. Too heavy for me.

I'm still searching though.

You have any tips?

ChristmasCarol

The only one I've tried is S-curl (back in the day) during my first transition try. Too heavy for me.

I'm still searching though.

You have any tips?

No, nothing. A long time ago I used various scrunch/curling sprays. Some worked, but they were full of alcohol and other bad stuff. I used to wonder why I'd comb out handfulls of hair. :ohwell: Now that I know better, I'll need to find something with better ingredients. I'm still transitioning and wearing my hair straight, so I won't have to worry about it for awhile.

Anywhoo, back to hair type - I often wondered why there was no "afro-ish wave" category. My crown is nothing like type 4, but it also doesn't fit the description for type 3.

If you have waves and not curls, how do you measure the size of the curl to determine hair type?

BlackMasterPiece

I've seen your fotki and I always saw you as 3a/b:yep:

I am so lost when it comes to my hair type. I've been saying 3c/4a. I may be right, but I'm not sure. From looking at different pictures on different websites, I don't know where I fit in. I was thinking about it today, and I think if I put on a Yakima, then it would be sitting on my 4a and everything else would be 3c. Alas, I am unsure. Can someone please help me out here?! :look:

The smallest the curls (at my crown) are about straw size, and in the front they are pen, and behind my ears they are about the size of chalk, and do not like to curl at all.

I think my hair is fine, and I have yet to do the porosity test, but I'll do that in a minute and update.

ETA: Did the porosity test on three strands and they all float. Woohoo! I'm glad that isn't an issue, now I just have to find my staple moisturizer (looking at Qhemets and Darcy's).
I think you typed yourself perfectly especially considering you said your curls vary from straw sized to pen sized.:yep:

Ediese

Great thread. I would post some pics of my hair, but I'm too lazy. I've realized that I'm a very cottony 4a. My curls/coils differ in size. I have perfect definition in the back, but they get a little bigger in the crown/sides. Even when I comb out my hair, you can still see the curls but it's not as defined. It's growing down, and not out. As soon else mentioned, I can easily manipulate my hair so it looks like it's 3cish.

Last edited:

thetall1

Ok, I'm VERY confused now...I always thought I was the perfect example of 4a...Here's some of my photos...

Here's a puff w/ product several months after my BC:

Here's my hair (last year) w/ no product:

Here's a WNG (earlier last year):

Here's a puff w/ gel on the sides:

Here's a bun pic:

Latest WNG (December):

Here's a pic of two strand twists:

Yea, I'm EXTREMELY confused can someone help me out?? BC I'm a little salty...my hair only "curls" with product, and it's very spongy/fluffy, my hair is very fine and dense!!...:ohwell:

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

@ Proudnapps: First of all your hair is absolutely beautiful!:love3: Wow love the color love the texture love the styles! You weren't wrong, you're definitely a 4a...its just that your hair type is whats known as type 4a silky. Which is to say that you have the pen spring sized coils typical of a 4a, but you have fine strands which means that not only can you achieve an afro....your hair behaves in many of the same ways curly hair does like clumping curls, effortlessly slicking down into styles like wet buns and your (gorgeous) puff with the slicked edges, you can achieve a smooth rollerset when you wanna straighten and get sleek results and even as your hair grows longer....you'll probably always be able to do wash and go's on loose hair with ease regardless of length.

~*~*~*~*~

Great thread. I would post some pics of my hair, but I'm too lazy. I've realized that I'm a very cottony 4a. My curls/coils differ in size. I have perfect definition in the back, but they get a little bigger in the crown/sides. Even when I comb out my hair, you can still see the curls but it's not as defined. It's growing down, and not out. As soon else mentioned, I can easily manipulate my hair so it looks like it's 3cish.
Hey hun!:wave: Ediese your fotki is one of the most extensive around soo many styles and pics! Its awesome! Your hair is beautiful and your progress is remarkable.

As for hair type, you seem to be really attached to the notion that you're a type 4a.....and I hate to disappoint you but you're definitely not lol maybe a small patch of 4a silky comprising like 10% of your hair but thats about it lol just being real but its pretty evident.

Here's why....when looking at your hair texture album the size of your curls are clearly that of the 3 family....although some of them fall in the tighter 3c curls its still clearly curls...not coils.

A great example is your (stunning:love2:) Halley's Curls Creole Curly Weave, there is no type 4 hair that could ever blend with your weave with the crown hair left out the way your curly hair does. Even though you have waves in some spots they're very loose waves...on a type 4 silky the waves would be wayyyyy tighter then yours....so yea I'm like 100% certain that you're mostly a 3c, maybe a tiny patch of 4a silky but predominantly 3c:yep:

Last edited:

jupitermoon

Edise, hair type aside, I've seen your pics and I *heart* your hair. I think it's so cool how uniform your little curls/coils are. Your wash and goes almost reminds me of a straw set but they are natural.

Proudnapps, your hair is such a lovely color in your first pic and your coils are gorgeous.

I think in this pic your hair is big but I wouldn't say its afro like.....just poofy....afro textured hair would have more of a tendency to grow up and out....even when your hair is poofy it still hangs down and you can still kinda tell that its curly.

To me your hair type is very clearly evident mostly 3c with maybe a touch of 3b at the crown:yep:

BlackMasterPiece, thanks. My hair is looser on top. Gel makes this more evident. Here's my hair with conditioner and gel in it:

^^^^This is either 2nd or 3rd day hair.

My hair takes on many different looks. That's the beauty of natural hair.

Interesting thread and I enjoy reading your interpretions, BlackMasterPiece. :yep:

BlackMasterPiece

/\ :blush: Celina your hair is sooooooo beautiful!:love3: wow....when my crochet braids were wet thats kinda how they looked:grin:....they kinda looked like that from afar as well.....alota fun:yep:

jupitermoon

/\ :blush: Celina your hair is sooooooo beautiful!:love3: wow....when my crochet braids were wet thats kinda how they looked:grin:....they kinda looked like that from afar as well.....alota fun:yep:

Thanks. That means a lot coming from you.

Your hair is amazing. I've seen your fotki and all of your hair styles. I really liked your fro hawk and your crochet braids and bantu knot outs are fierce too. You're not style challenged at all and can do so much with your hair. You have a wonderful sense of style to.

glamazon386

It's funny that you say this because looking at my hair and looking at your pics I think our hair looks very similar. Everything else is the same but I wouldn't consider my hair cottony. I hope that made sense :lol:

Looking at proudnapps pics my hair looks similar to hers too. It depends on how I style it and what products I use. So what the heck type am I? I thought I had this figured out.

ETA: I finally bought that HCCC. I haven't installed it yet but I see what you meant about the "looser curls" in it. It doesn't really look kinky either. I think the Bohyme Brazilian was a better match for my hair. I'll see what it looks like once I install it.

Last edited:

Nonie

Glam, I've always thought you were 4A. I think that your hair reminds you of both Ediese and Proudnapps sorta confirms that you are 4A.

Pjaye, what types in particular are you confused about? BMP will break it down. Just ask. :poke:

PJaye

The nature and extent of all of the 3s and 4s - curl patterns, diameter, texture, density, fine, course, cottony, and a partridge in a pear tree (my head is swimming :grin:).