4a 4b what is the difference and what am I?

lipyt

So yesturday I went searching for the answer. I have never quite understood the different between the 2. And the pictures people use to descibe them don't help me. So I found a pic of a women wearing an afro and they called that 4b and then a women wearing a wash and go and they called that 4a. Why don't they ever show the 2 different hair types wearing the same style so you can compare!? Well I concluded based off the pictures and the description that I am a 4b. But my hair is not very tightly coiled and when I condition and comb through, my hair does not tangle up again. But the description said that the difference between 4a and 4b is that 4a can show definition and 4b can not. I can not get good definition with my curls with gel or water! I do not have a zigzag pattern I have a coil pattern.
This summer I saw Soun's hair and I thought she was a 3c but she said she was a 4b so is the difference in definition of curls?

remnant

Hi Lipyt, I have a z pattern so I'm definitely 4B even if my hair is soft!
Afrolinda who had a puff on our summer meeting is 4a/4b
I think that you are 4a because of your coils pattern:yep:

lipyt

Hi Lipyt, I have a z pattern so I'm definitely 4B even if my hair is soft!
Afrolinda who had a puff on our summer meeting is 4a/4b
I think that you are 4a because of your coils pattern:yep:
:blush:oh ok Thanks soun

Afrolinda

How are you lipyt?

Here is a pic in my avatar. I am 4b but with all the products and my regimen, my hair is becoming softer and softer ( it amazes me sometimes ) and this is thanks to you Soun:yep: ( yep I'm still following all the tips you gave me ).

Last edited:

remnant

How are you lipyt?

Here is a pic in my avatar. I am 4b but with all the products and my regimen, my hair is becoming softer and softer ( it amazes me sometimes ) and this is thanks to you Soun:yep: ( yep I'm still following all the tips you gave me ).

Really:blush:???thanks lady:kiss:

lipyt

How are you lipyt?

I'm good Afrolinda! I was suprised when you and Soun said you were 4b's because I thought Afrolinda had hair similar to mine and I had been calling myself 4a and I even thought Soun was 3c because the way the ends of her braids curled was really loose. I have seen some ladies whose pattern is so tight that they could have waist hair length pulled put in its natural state it is a twa. So it can be confusing to me. I will post pics soon so yall can educate me.
(ps I used the Ms. Jessie product you gave me and it just made my hair white. I'm going to use it to twist my hair and see if it will be better like that)

scarcity21

Really:blush:???thanks lady:kiss:

okay Soun and Afrolinda...spill the beans ...im natural 4B too (check my fotki) and my hair wants to be like y'alls when it grows up...i have dryness issues...what products work best for yall...help a sista out:)
TIA

lipyt

okay Soun and Afrolinda...spill the beans ...im natural 4B too (check my fotki) and my hair wants to be like y'alls when it grows up...i have dryness issues...what products work best for yall...help a sista out:)
TIA
Yes both of them have gorgeous long hair!

scarcity21

How are you lipyt?

*tapping fingers impatiently* still waiting on u and Soun to spill the beans:)

Afrolinda

I'm good Afrolinda! I was suprised when you and Soun said you were 4b's because I thought Afrolinda had hair similar to mine and I had been calling myself 4a and I even thought Soun was 3c because the way the ends of her braids curled was really loose. I have seen some ladies whose pattern is so tight that they could have waist hair length pulled put in its natural state it is a twa. So it can be confusing to me. I will post pics soon so yall can educate me.
(ps I used the Ms. Jessie product you gave me and it just made my hair white. I'm going to use it to twist my hair and see if it will be better like that)

I didn't know how to use it either that is why I gave it to you. But you know what? When I saw my sister's hair I bought it again and now I love it ( I just used it today ). You have to wash your hair and after conditioning put a leave-in-conditioner and detangle your hair than put Curly pudding ( just a bit, don't need that much ). Put it in your hair while it's wet ( you can spray some more water ) put it really well until you don't see the whiteness anymore. Make a bun and let it airdry with the product in it, your curl patterns will come out and your hair will be softer.

kbfluff

Sounds like u r a 4A to me, because of the fact that ur hair coils.
My hair..each strand is doing its own thang. Mostly in a z pattern, so the wash and go styles are not for me if i have alot of ng. But the crazy part with my hair is all of the hair on my neck is like baby hair. Very curly, fine and looks wet when dry. The rest of this stuff is 4b.
Man , we can have 3-4 different textures on our heads....I guess no one black woman's texture is the same.:blush:

lsubabiedee

im mostly 4a, and i think the difference between my hair and 4b hair, is that 4b's might not get as much clumping as i do. but hair typing is so weird. most of the time, it doesn't take into consideration someone's hair texture and curl pattern.