Pictures of hair types

skegeesmb

Why are you even running??? That's a valid point. I didn't know what my hair type was until I cut my relaxed hair off. It took a few months after that as well. My new growth was wavy because of the rest of my hair pulling it down.

I agree I think it's hard to tell.

EbonyF

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Crysdon said:

I was natural for 3 years before I got a texturizer in October of 02.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nods, I agreed (its in my original statement) about if you knew your texture "recently" prior to a relaxer/texturizer, then you can better type your hair.
But you can't always go by what your hair type was when it was younger either.

skegeesmb said:
Why are you even running??? That's a valid point.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just internet "cuteness". But, unfortunately a question like I asked can turn ugly, so that is why I had to be as nice and polite as I could, hence me running away and ducking.
It just seems that most relaxed people on here are very positive of their hairtype, and some may get defensive by an honest question

sweetcocoa

EbonyF said:
Out of curiousity (please don't harm me
)

But how do the majority of you guys know what your hair type is, if majority (I'm assuming) asking these questions are relaxed?

When I was transitioning, I had no idea what my hair type was, even when wet and comparing relaxed versus my natural. And actually when I did the chop, my hair was straightish (2a?) for a day, then turn 4a'ish after a good healthy wash.

In other words, maybe what I'm trying to say is: you really don't know your hairtype unless you was recently natural and then relaxed (usually after your prime teen years being that your hair changes), or if you are currently natural.

Plus, it might be false texture from scab hair that you may be seeing. I have seen people who have cut off their relaxer and go from 3a/3c to 4a or 4b within days or months, so go fig. So really, I think we should take these hairtypings (especially with relaxers), with a grain of salt.

***runs and crawls back into her hole***

[/ QUOTE ]
That was the exact thing I was trying to say....I thought my hair type was 3c/4a when I first went natural(based on my roots)..but as the scab hair passed...it felt more type 3 with a lot less 4a than originally thiught. The longer my hair gets the looser the curls. For a while there I didn't even post my type...cause I really couldn't tell. My hair changes from season to season....in the summer my hair seems more like type 4/a 4/b...but in the winter it's more type 3. I think that's why I'll try products and routines that are posted for other types...cause I don't really think it matters....it may or may not work.....

Crysdon

But you can't always go by what your hair type was when it was younger either.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I was fully 3b as a child with no frizz and now as an adult, my hair (when I went natural) was still 3b, but had frizz and sections of 3c.

But, unfortunately a question like I asked can turn ugly, so that is why I had to be as nice and polite as I could, hence me running away and ducking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your question is valid. No need to "duck and run" either. It can only turn into an ugly thread if you were one of the "militant naturals" that try to push your views down our throats. You're alright.

EbonyF

Crysdon said:
Your question is valid. No need to "duck and run" either. It can only turn into an ugly thread if you were one of the "militant naturals" that try to push your views down our throats. You're alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

ComfortablyNumb

I am more confused than ever. Maybe I am 3b/3c. I don't know. I am still on the quest to get an accurate understanding of this (oh yeah, and my hair is natural) because I thought it might be easier to find good products for my hair if I listened to the raves of people with a similar hair type to mine. According to Naturally curly I have come up with 3b/3c, but according to the photos scanned from Andre's book, I may be 3b or 3c with a little patch of 4a in the front. Oh so confused. Maybe I will go with 3c/4a because I have looked at Sweetcocoa'spics and I think I am her hair twin.
Woe is me, Woe is me!
Can anybody give me a little bit of Andre Waker's description of type 3, especially type 3b amd 3c, hair?

godzooki

I gave up on trying to figure out my hair type! I was told I might be a 3 something and I tried to ask my hair stylist but all she said was I have combination hair. a combo of my moms-whos hair has more thick Indian characteristics and my sisters whos hair while not 4b is wavier and super thick. I just call myself a mut cause I think I got all the hair types covered! seriously, I'm going with 3c/4a. seems safest.