Silky 4a vs. Coarse 4a

AmyRose92

Hi everyone!

I am still confused as to what hair type I really am. I don't know if my texture will remain the same or change in the next year or so since it's been over a month since I BCed (YAY! :clapping:) after transitioning for about a year. I like to think that I'm a 4b but I'm not entirely sure.

But my question is how can you tell the difference between a silky 4a and a coarse 4a? Sometimes, when I see a silky 4a, I tend to think it's a 3c instead but I recently met a girl who had coarse 3b hair, so now I'm confused. :spinning:

westNDNbeauty

I didn't know there was such a thing as silk and course when it comes to hair typing. Someone enlighten me too.

But I do think it would necessary to see your hair while its wet to determine your true curl parttern.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Only thing I can tell you is that a silky 4a can easily brush their hair into a smooth silky wavy looking ponytail..not the pony but the edges and hair on top...idk how often a styling aid is used. I used to use gel when I was natural to get that smooth shiny look. As I'm transitioning, I've realized I just need oil so blackmasterpiece told me those are characteristics of silky 4 whereas, she's a coarse 4a and cannot slick her hair into a pony. She explained it in that thread "what is the difference between 3c and 4a" so if you search for it, it should be like on the last page. Also you could search "silky type 4" which is what I did last week and got a couple of pics of examples.

Apparently silky is more finer in texture which gives it the feel and appearance, idk. MY hair isnt really fine but it isnt thick or coarse either.

NikStarrr

Yea, that hair typing is more geared towards curl size, and doesn't take into account hair texture. I'm a 4a--but I do have a somewhat of a silky texture (not super fine tho), which confuses some into thinking I'm 3c. But then again, my curls have stretched over time from length, so who knows. But, when it comes to products and styles--sometimes texture trumps hair type. So a silkier 4a may behave/respond similar to 3c hair, or if it's a coarser 4a--their hair may respond to products more similar to a 4b.

ms.blue

My hair below the crown is a silky 4a and the rest is 4a coarse/b and there is a difference. The silky 4a is easier to comb, texture is smoother, it hangs a little better, and it doesn't really need that much product. I also noticed it straightens easier even w/ a blowdryer.

SEMO

Yea, that hair typing is more geared towards curl size, and doesn't take into account hair texture. I'm a 4a--but I do have a somewhat of a silky texture (not super fine tho), which confuses some into thinking I'm 3c. But then again, my curls have stretched over time from length, so who knows. But, when it comes to products and styles--sometimes texture trumps hair type. So a silkier 4a may behave/respond similar to 3c hair, or if it's a coarser 4a--their hair may respond to products more similar to a 4b.
I completely agree with this explanation, and have found the same things to be true. Parts of my hair, esp at the crown, are sorta silky and lay down easier when pulled into a ponytail. While other parts, like around my front edge, are coarser and take more to lay down. I've also noticed added hair weight stretches my curl pattern from more 4a looking to more 3c looking in places.

Last edited:

Janet'

OP,

Here is the link that Femme was referring to:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=464028

According to BlackMasterpiece, I am a 3c/4a, but I am DEFINITELY one of the thicker headed ones. My hair is not one of those "add water" heads...I have to use gel and it has got to be a good, thick gel as well to slick the front of my head down.

My hair is not fine, but I don't know if I would categorize it as coarse- it is THICK though-and I agree with NikStar, most times, texture does trump hair type because although I have curls, it definitely does NOT behave the way the fine textured ladies' heads behave...

BlackMasterPiece

Coarse 4a's are like me and have thick strands. Silky 4a's overall tend to have fine strands.

One of the most obvious distinctions is coarse 4a's have hair that cannot easily be slicked down with water or gel, it also always grows " up and out", even when I achieve waistlength I'll have a gravity-defying round fro. This hair type seldom has "hang" without being manipulated into a style. Coarse 4a's cannot wet-bun and magnetic rollers are not effective on this hair type.

Silky 4a's share many characteristics with those of the type 3 category (except they have coils rather then curls). They will often have "hang", many of them can slick their hair down and get shiny waves with no more than a swipe of their hand, they can easily smooth their wet shrunken hair into a ponytail with a bun. Their coils are more defined and often tend to clump. Many of them can actualy rollerset on traditional rollers and get a smooth result because their hair is much more easily manipulated.

I copied and pasted two perfect examples from the whats the difference between 3c and 4a thread....hope its okay by the two posters.

Here's my hair (last year) w/ no product:

Here's a WNG (earlier last year):

Here's a puff w/ gel on the sides:

Here's a bun pic:

Latest WNG (December):

Here's a pic of two strand twists:

Now contrast that with my coarse coils: The only way my hair can lay relatively close to my scalp is if I divide it in 4 pony's for a fro-hawk and fasten each ponytail holder somewhat tight. I do not hve skiny waves along the sides and there are coilies that just chill along my edges and will not lay down without an uncomfortably tight scarf all night the night before lol.

Here's my friend who is also 4a coarse

Hope that helped AmyRose:yep:

Last edited:

virtuenow

Well answered, BMP (and others). I call mine a dry 4b rather than coarse, but that is fitting as well b/c the strands are thick. It shouldn't be hard to tell if you are one or the other. if you can slick your hair down and your hair has a pattern, u might be a silky smthg. If you cannot lay hair down and do a pony period, then you are a coarse 4b. This hair does not lay down flat to your head and it may appear drier (though very moisturized). When let loose, if you can see coils visibly clumped together (without the use of a microscope), ur probably a silky 4a/b. If instead, you have a big fluffy cloud on your head then you are probably a dry/coarse 4a/b. IF you have a cloud with coils only on the very end of your hair, then you are probably a dry/coarse 4a/b

Sade

Op thanks for asking this question because lately I have been wondering what hair type and texture I am. I was confused but question kinda answered some of the questions I had.

AmyRose92

Thank you BMP and virtuenow! Now I can say that I am definitely a coarse 4-something (I still can't figure out if it's 4a or 4b, but I'm leaning towards 4b)

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
This silky/coarse thing is too narrow. My hair is neither. On the LOIS system, I would be spongy. Maybe we can combine all of these typing systems into one comprehensive one that would take in all quantifiers. For example, if I combine the Andre, LOIS, and Fia hair typing systems, here is the result for my hair:

Virgin, 4a/b, OS, spongy, m, ii-iii

Now the breakdown:

Virgin: hair that has never been chemically processed, colored or touched by direct heat
4a/b: the size of my coils, from pencil-width and smaller
spongy: no baby hairs or bee-dee-bees, does not get wet quickly, goes somewhat flat in water, high sheen
m: medium meaning strand density is neither fine nor coarse
ii-iii: overall thickness is greater than average, but not quite voluminous

Now, what other quantifies do we need?

(And, no, I do not have any recent pictures :grin:)

♦K.O♦

I've noticed that some of the very tightly coiled sections of my hair are much silkier than some of the looser coiled/curled sections.

Interesting thread.

virtuenow

This silky/coarse thing is too narrow. My hair is neither. On the LOIS system, I would be spongy. Maybe we can combine all of these typing systems into one comprehensive one that would take in all quantifiers. For example, if I combine the Andre, LOIS, and Fia hair typing systems, here is the result for my hair:

Virgin, 4a/b, OS, spongy, m, ii-iii

Now the breakdown:

Virgin: hair that has never been chemically processed, colored or touched by direct heat
4a/b: the size of my coils, from pencil-width and smaller
spongy: no baby hairs or bee-dee-bees, does not get wet quickly, goes somewhat flat in water, high sheen
m: medium meaning strand density is neither fine nor coarse
ii-iii: overall thickness is greater than average, but not quite voluminous

Now, what other quantifies do we need?

(And, no, I do not have any recent pictures :grin:)

Yeah, thats alot of quantifiers. I don't get the "OS" though? What does it stand for/what does it mean? I guess I'll have to look up all these typing systems to get this right

GaiasDaughter24

Thanks BMP! My hair looks A LOT like loulou82. I can lay down my edges with ease. Is she a 4a/4b mix? That's what I classify myself as but my hair looks like hers when dry.

Alta Angel

Ok, that makes sense. I thought my oldest daughter was possibly a 3c because of the shine and silkiness of her hair. Now I think that she is a silky 4a, while my younger daughter and I are course 4as.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword

Keen

To me, proudnapps is 3c because her her is wavy not kinky. I don't know if there is a such thing as silky 4 hair type. That's just my opinion...

knt1229

It doesn't make sense to me that someone's hair can be silky only in the spot where they have gel or some type of product. According to the LOIS hair typing system cottony hair can appear shiny when pulled taunt. I believe these folk are more likely cottony and when pulled back it has high shine that makes more sense because silky hair should be from root to tip not just in one spot with gel or product.

http://www.tytecurl.com/v02/hairtypes.htm

Morenita

Now I'm super confused :perplexed I always considered you a 3c. Even in your B/C photos you look 3c, but you say 4a silky. Does that mean I'm 4a silky too? My curls are about the size of yours, but I've never really thought of my hair as "silky." It's mostly fine, but my hairline is more coarse and the very edge of it needs gel, so I figured cottony 3c, now idk... I give up lol :wallbash:

purplepeace79

Proudnapps is my hair twin!!! FINALLY found someone with the SAME hair as me!!! wooooooohoooooo Now where is she??? I'mma stalk her

purplepeace79

Here's the thing about this hairtyping business. It's confusing as HELL lol

The strip in my siggy shows my hair fully shrunken. Thats after washing, no product, letting it sit for a few hours. It shrivels up into the tightest coils imaginable. The larger picture is my hair, wet after a cowash, with some moisturizer run through it. It shows the texture, which is more of a wavy s-curl.

But then, when I do puffs (usually from braid outs) my hair turns cottony soft

When I slick my hair back into buns, there are waves.
/ponytails

I can also slick it very straight if I use a boars hair brush, and it lays flat and looks silky.

That same hair can look as dry as a brillo pad when shrunken.

What have I learned? I dont focus on the type so much. I experiment with products and see how my hair reacts. I've learned that products like KCCC make me look like I have a jherri curl

I've learned that wet looks = tangles so I stretch my hair most of the time, usually via braid outs.

Whatever my hair type is, I'm not complaining. Its pretty easy to comb, doesnt require a lot of product, and doesn't take long to style.

If anyone has any idea about it, feel free to weigh in, but I just say its 3c/4a *shrug*

Lynnerie

Is it possible to be in-between a silky/coarse 4a? I can slick my hair back with ease but I don't think I would ever attempt to rollerset my hair on magnetic rollers although I have good results using perm rods but thats not the same is it?. I just don't think it would work for me.

The first pic is my hair blown out, the 2nd is picked out with an afro comb.

The last 3 are wash n go's. I think i am inbetween.:ohwell: Any ideas?

Attachments

• 27859_391125967567_500057567_4194769_2132619_n.jpg
    27859_391125967567_500057567_4194769_2132619_n.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 27859_391121927567_500057567_4194677_5110727_n.jpg
    27859_391121927567_500057567_4194677_5110727_n.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 27859_391131347567_500057567_4194896_1306686_n.jpg
    27859_391131347567_500057567_4194896_1306686_n.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 157
  • wng2.jpg
    wng2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 177
  • wng.jpg
    wng.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 152

lesedi

All is well with me
I still think the vast majority of 4a's on the board are actually in the 3 group. I didn't think that hair in the 4 category could be easily slicked back to the point where it could look wavy. JMO

tatiana

Is it possible to be in-between a silky/coarse 4a? I can slick my hair back with ease but I don't think I would ever attempt to rollerset my hair on magnetic rollers although I have good results using perm rods but thats not the same is it?. I just don't think it would work for me.

The first pic is my hair blown out, the 2nd is picked out with an afro comb.

The last 3 are wash n go's. I think i am inbetween.:ohwell: Any ideas?

yes it is possible to be in between it is refer to as being satiny

Ediese

To me, proudnapps is 3c because her her is wavy not kinky. I don't know if there is a such thing as silky 4 hair type. That's just my opinion...

I think since her curl diameter is so small, she's classified as 4a. 3c is a bigger curl.