What I want from my Stylist

My Stylist

• I prefer Healthy Hair Care from my Stylist

Votes: 43 100.0%
  • I prefer my Stylist to STYLE my hair, even if it damages my hair.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

My Friend

Would you want a stylist to pratice healthy hair care pratices or be able to give you the trendy, edgy, hip hop styles of today? Please choose only one.

Also, what are the top 3-5 things you want from your stylist?

I don't want my hair to be broken, boiled, burned or otherwise damaged so yeah, I want healthy hair care practices.

Do NOT be late or missing
Do NOT braid my edges
Know how to braid WITHOUT extensions

all reasons why my search for a braider continues ... :lachen:

Before hair boards, I just wanted a stylist who could wash, set, style, relax my hair that operated a clean salon. The only thing was not see a bunch of hair in the comb during setting (indication of breakage) b/c my hair tangles like a crazy

Now I have much more discerning standards LOL. I actually care what brand and type of products they use (in fact I now carry my own products), and it doesnt really matter to me what they want to do with other peoples hair ... but they need to do MY hair how I want them to do it - even if it seems unorthodox to them.

So my top 3 requirements are, someone who

1. Practices good hygene (self and salon)
2. listens to what I want
3. is gentle with/cares my hair
4. who's got skillz re: styling

Last edited:
A lot of people have chosen HHC but in a lot of post I read about stylist not knowing how to do certain hairstyles, etc :look:

Healthy haircare all the way.

I'm a simpleton so no 'styling' needed, maybe just a bump or loose curls, most of the time I just go to get it straightened. I am, however, very particular about healthy hair practices and how they handle my hair when wet and how they get it straight.

Luckily for me I'm a stylist and I can do both. Overall though I care about the health of my hair first. A healthy head of hair always looks good in a ponytail. Lol.

I'm both a student stylist and a regular stylist in a salon and you would be surprised how many people give you a hard time when you try and take care of the health of their hair first. Smh.

Luckily for me I'm a stylist and I can do both. Overall though I care about the health of my hair first. A healthy head of hair always looks good in a ponytail. Lol.

I'm both a student stylist and a regular stylist in a salon and you would be surprised how many people give you a hard time when you try and take care of the health of their hair first. Smh.

any good stories you can share with us?

any good stories you can share with us?

Lol sure. I remember once we colored a clients hair. She saw maybe 1/8 an inch of new growth and wanted to color again. It had only been about 3 weeks or so. Way too soon. On top of that she wanted bleached highlights. We wanted to take it slow, get the protein and moisture treaments going before we do all this to the hair, and we didn't want to do all of it at once. She friggin threw a fit. Said she wanted what she wanted F all that other stuff it was just add on services. Mind you a treatment is cheaper than a color and we were refusing to do the color.

In the end I just started talking to her about her vision with her hair. She wanted longer hair. I asked her how she planned on getting there without treating her color treated hair. I talked her out of the color but she still wanted no parts of the treatment, lol. However a few weeks later after we eventually retouched her color (But flatout refused the bleach) I think she started seeing breakage. Guess who gets steam treatments now?

That was at my job. The salon floor at school is worse because of course, we're students and don't know ish :rolleyes: .

My perfect stylist is one who:

1. Respects my wishes for HEALTH over TRENDS
2. Gives me a 1/4 to 1/8 trim when I ask; not 1 inch or more (CUT) every six weeks like clockwork then have the nerve to call it a trim
3. Uses rollersetting as only mode of heat to style-- puts that blowfryer and flat iron down and ESPECIALLY stays away from that heat stove
4. Relaxes my hair properly (neutralizing, deep condition after) and with a MILD relaxer and does so with ZERO damage
5. Starts and ends on time; professional behavior
6. If I go in for a wash n set and have a good amount of new growth, I need a stylist who does NOT rip through dry NG with a small toothed comb, then proceed to tell me that my hair is breaking off!

The lady I go to now is pretty good; she does #1 and #3- 6. We need to work on #2...well, actually I'm just going to start going to someone else at a different salon for trims all together.

I just want a stylist who can take good care of my hair, and make sure that it is healthy. I don't care if a stylist can actually style hair, because that's not what I personally go there for. I go there for relaxer, and a rollerset/light blowout. As long as that is done to my satisfaction, I'm good.
And when I want a style, I have rollers, flexi-rods, a flat iron, a pair of functioning hands, bobby pins, non-alcoholic gel, and youtube. What I need a stylist for? :lol:

And all I want from my stylist is:

1. Someone who is patient, and will listen to my instructions and desires.

2. Someone who will honestly discuss my hair issues (breakage, thinning, shedding etc.) with me, and help me find plausible solutions.

3. Someone who treats me respectfully, but still jokes with me and makes me comfortable and welcome in his/her chair.

4. Someone who can do a relaxer without burning me, and without over/double processing.

5. Someone who believes that my hair should and can be long, beautiful and healthy. And someone who will not deliberately keep me from achieving that goal.

Luckily for me, I found her! :grin:

1- cares about my hair ALMOST as much as i do
2- does not damage my hair
3- knows what a trim is, what dusting is, and when they need to be done
4- knows more about "hair" than i do
5- can diagnose a problem and then TREAT it. much like a physician.
6- can respect my wishes, my hair and my time

i am fortunate to have that in my stylist now. she even takes notes on my hair and knows what worked in appointments i had 3 years ago!

i like to look nice when i leave the salon.. thankfully my stylist is a hair care professional and she cares for my hair and makes me look good. but i have had other stylists that couldn't "style" my hair. i didn't care as long as they took care of my hair and didn't scalp me. i can style at home.

Im not concerned about style because I never "style my hair." Its either curly or straight. The closest I got to a style was a side swept bang. I want a stylist that
1. Listens to me. If I say no trims I mean no trims.
2. Relaxes hair properly. Not waiting until its burning to wash it out.
3. Operates in a clean environment.
4. Does not try to make me feel bad about my hair. Everytime I go to a stylist and dont want what they want for my hair (relaxer, cut, etc) they feel the need to say sly comments about my hair. "I cant do much with this because its sooo thick." "Your ends are uneven, I cant give you no cute style with those ends."

Back