• $15 per hour

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • $20 per hour

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • $25 per hour

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

My Friend

After reading many threads, I'm curious at the monetary value we have for stylist. All things being equal, what are you willing to pay them for their time?

1) They are on time :yep:
2) They are not SHS :yep:
3) They practice healthy hair care :yep:
4) They do everything you expect from your stylist :yep:

BlackMasterPiece

I have zero value for a stylist at this point to keep it fully real. I'm not a fan of putting the hair I put so much effort into in the hands of others:nono: Thanks to the internet you can learn to do any style.

I know how to do everything else except for trims. I am now determined to teach myself how to do those as well....at that point I'll be 100% self-sufficient.

After my January trim that was more like a cut.....I was thru.

DIY all the way.

My Friend

I have zero value for a stylist at this point to keep it fully real. I'm not a fan of putting the hair I put so much effort into in the hands of others:nono: Thanks to the internet you can learn to do any style.

I know how to do everything else except for trims. I am now determined to teach myself how to do those as well....at that point I'll be 100% self-sufficient.

DIY all the way.

Awwww Nawwwwww BMP, I must have missed that thread, don't tell me someone cut off a lot of your hair? :nono: I too am a DIY'er in training but sometimes some of us want to be pampered and have someone else do it for us :yep: In that case, I was wondering what the majority was willing to pay.

blessedandlucky

i've learned to be a DIYer since i moved away (over 100 miles:( from my stylist, but she was truly wonderful. worth her weight in gold because a good stylist is hard to find. i will admit i got very lazy because of her. i still hate washing my hair though - i want juan to do it and give me a scalp massage, lol. but i don't hate it as much as i used too. thanks to lhcf i've learned to do tons of things on my own and my hair is thriving:)

BlackMasterPiece

Well it wasn't drastic enough for me to start a thread on lol but it was the last straw for me:nono:

But you're right....I'm not really answering your question lol and I agree it is great to be pampered theres nothing like getting your hair washed by someone else and getting a scalp massage:love2: hope you get some excellent answers after this!:yep:

Since I'm mostly a DIYer, I only see my stylist for relaxers, which are 3x a year. So, I value her at $15 an hour. Granted, I'm seeing her this Saturday to do my hair for Easter (on my MIL's tab, that is). So, I'll be back to doing my own thing not even a few days after the holiday.

nymane

Max $20 per hour...just because I'm never in the salon for 3 hours (2 1/2 hours max), I have a great stylist, and I only see her 2-3x a year for touch ups and trims.

leigh.hill

I have a great stylist too. I have not seen her for 15 weeks, thought maybe she would charge me for the "virgin" rate, she didn't. With all the help that I have gotten from LHCF, the one thing I will not go back to is doing my own relaxers (more power to you lades that do). She does a great job, wonderful customer service.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

DIY all the way.

i agree 100%, i can not put my hair in somebody elses care, hell to the no!! i cant think of a reason why i would need a stylist, i trim, i dust, i relaxed my own, i rollerset my own, i style. i dont need nobodys help, thats extra money i could be spending on "THE JUICE" <-dave chapel voice :grin: and im just down right scared of a sylist :perplexed

CoutureMe06

I've lurked on LHCF for a while before joining. All of the horror stylist stories really make me sad :( Even though my hair wasn't in the greatest condition before going natural, I know it was because of me. When I moved to NYC for school, I had no knowledge of relaxing myself and all that jazz! I know I messed up my hair.

When I did go my only 2 stylists in the "permed" days, I had no problems. Yes, I had waiting issues but that's because they were fantastic. They really took into account the health of your hair and the feather wraps were bouncy, shiny, gorgeous. And of course, had that swang! I've only had 2 stylists, both male that I love even now. And will go to with my newly natural hair.

One actually encouraged me to go natural.

I've gone to the dominicans and other random hair stylists, but I just have such high expectations from what I am used to that I just get upset and it does not compare (hair quality, experience, and all) I truly learned to do my hair myself because I could not find anyone outside MD that could do my hair the way I liked.

Thankfully, one moved to NYC and the other comes up A LOT (and would like to move; I'm constantly pressuring him)

I know being traumatized must be very hard but there are good stylists out there. I'm sorry for everyone's bad experiences but I value my stylists and would pay bc they do good work, my hair thrives (well did when I went w/ relaxer)

Everyone isn't perfect. If someone is doing something to your hair that you don't like, then you should say something. Definitely consult and have your input valued. If you find someone like that, I can guarantee a good experience :)

So then you have someone to go to every 5 years:) lol

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Well it wasn't drastic enough for me to start a thread on lol but it was the last straw for me:nono:

But you're right....I'm not really answering your question lol and I agree it is great to be pampered theres nothing like getting your hair washed by someone else and getting a scalp massage:love2: hope you get some excellent answers after this!:yep:

I AGREE, but i will never get pampered with my hair, my feet is a whole other story, they can rub my feet, polish my toes and all, but washing my hair? nahhhh, even then, they can break hairs washing :nono:

BlackMasterPiece

I would vote but I was looking for a $0 option

BMP, how many inches did she cut?
She took off like a good 2 inches quick and was like oh gurrrl its all good you still have long hair! I was tight though and she was the type to go over sections more then once:ohwell:.....so that really made me uncomfortable. *thankfully, my hair is back to pretty much the same length it was*

I've promised myself I wont let my ends get to the point that I need an all around trim. From here on in I will be doing S&D's regularly and I'll do a proper trim on an as needed basis......myself. I also need to work on growing my layers out....I've noticed how full it makes your hair look when its in a blunt cut all around.....I'm going for LongHairDontCare's cut where its blunt all around except for her bangs.....thats a good look:yep:

I agree with adora...you can pamper my whole body in a spa and I'm good....but my hair???? I got that.

There definitely are good stylists out there....I've just some to realize that I'm the best stylist out there for me.

Last edited: