What Do You Do to Your Hair/Scalp The Night Before A Relaxer?

tryn2growmyhair

I pretreat it with oil, probably coconot becuase I know that my scalp does not react negatively to it and a number of Indians have told me that it is a good scalp treatment. Otherwise, I use a special petroleum base cream. I think that I will use the coconut the night before a relaxer then just before going to the salon put on the special relaxer base on my scalp and protecto on my hair.

senimoni

Usually I scratch alot!!! :eek:

I'm curious about this b/c I will be getting a relaxer or texturizer possibly in the next week or so.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I usually do nothing to it! :lol:
I try to avoid scratching my scalp thats about it.
I've always base my scalp & hairline the same day as i put my relaxer in.

tryn2growmyhair

Well, I also forgot to mention that I try to wait a week between washing my hair and relaxer. That is super tough because I work out a lot and my scalp itches. I just put tea tree oil on my scalp because it was itching a lot and it is now on fire! I hope that my relaxer goes well. :ohwell:

Isis

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
I usually do nothing to it! :lol:
I try to avoid scratching my scalp thats about it.
I've always base my scalp & hairline the same day as i put my relaxer in.
Same here. :yep:
Now, using a scalp oil treatment could possibly be a good idea, I just haven't done it yet the day before a relaxer. If I did ever try this, I would still base my scalp on the same relaxer day.

shellzfoshizzle

I don't do anything to my hair/scalp the night before. Usually my scalp (and everyone elses's) seems to itch all over because it's a psychological thing and we can't scratch. WE KNOW we are getting a relaxer and its not good to scratch, so of course, it itches. I love getting a relaxer when my hair is dirty, oily and itches. Sounds nasty but my relaxer takes much better and doesn't burn!

Hair2day

The night before a relaxer I apply nothing to the scalp. On the day of the relaxer I base my scalp & hairline with Affirm base. Then I apply Proteco to the previously relaxed hair.:)

Jewell

I put Profectiv Healthy Ends on the ends of my hair the night before a touch-up. I don't put anything on my scalp, and I definitely won't comb, brush or scratch the whole day before.

Last edited:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I oil my scalp the day before. And the day off the relaxer, I put oil from the end of the re-growth down to my ends (to prevent over processing). :)

ThursdayGirl

I used to base my scalp the night before with Dudley's AD&E. Also, made sure I washed my hair at least 3-4 days before touch-up. Using these two techniques ... but a really good stylist who tried to minimize the amount of relaxer that touched my scalp... I haven't burned in a couple of years.

tryn2growmyhair

blessedangil03 said:
Is there an oil or something to put on the scalp to avoid itching?
I base my hair with something called Summit Sensitive Scalp. I dont know what's in it but my itchies stop and my scalp tingles instead. :yep:

tryn2growmyhair

ThursdayGirl said:
I used to base my scalp the night before with Dudley's AD&E. Also, made sure I washed my hair at least 3-4 days before touch-up. Using these two techniques ... but a really good stylist who tried to minimize the amount of relaxer that touched my scalp... I haven't burned in a couple of years.
Thanks a lot. I was worried about how soon I could relax after a wash.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

shellzfoshizzle said:
I don't do anything to my hair/scalp the night before. Usually my scalp (and everyone elses's) seems to itch all over because it's a psychological thing and we can't scratch. WE KNOW we are getting a relaxer and its not good to scratch, so of course, it itches. I love getting a relaxer when my hair is dirty, oily and itches. Sounds nasty but my relaxer takes much better and doesn't burn!

This happens to me too and I always wonder why my scalp would start to itch a week or a few days before my relaxer/texturizer. Is this really a psychological thing or is it your scalp telling that it's time for a relaxer:confused: ?

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

ThursdayGirl said:

Same here. I have to wash my hair a few days before doing my relaxer/texturizer to get rid of any buildup that may cause my scalp to itch. I also have to base my scalp with some form of protective oil. By using these two techniques I don't experience any burning at all.