Is it okay to base your scalp...

Crystalicequeen123

Hours BEFORE your stylist bases your scalp and relaxes your hair?

I'm thinking that maybe I should base my scalp and put some vaseline in my hair the day of my relaxer before I go to my stylist because sometimes I just don't trust the way some stylists base the scalp. I love my new stylist, but at my old salon, they had a little shampoo girl base my scalp, and she THOROUGHLY based my scalp really well. :) She was always really slow and tender with my head while basing the scalp before my stylist would put a relaxer in my hair.

Now that I've changed stylists though, I get the impression that my new stylist doesn't spend that much time basing my scalp (since she does it herself), and the last time I got my first relaxer from her I got a few minor scalp burns!! Scalp burns is something I havent' had in a while from a relaxer, and I figure that it was probably because she didn't base my scalp well.

So, do you ladies think it's okay to base the scalp with vaseline a few hours BEFORE your relaxer touchup, or do you think it's a bit counterproductive to base it HOURS before? I really want to make sure the relaxer only gets on the newgrowth ONLY and not on my scalp or previously relaxed hair.

secretdiamond

I do the same thing. I like to be safer than sorry.

And I don't think there's anything wrong doing it hours b4. The grease would definitely still be there IMO.