What do you use as a base when relaxing?

LovelyLionessa

For my last relaxer touch up, the night before I oiled my scalp with Africa's Best oil. Then the day of my touch up I added some some Softee grease to my scalp too. This time I am wondering if I could just get away with oiling my scalp the night before and then apply maybe some vaseline to my scalp the day of my relaxer if need be. What do you guys think? It seems the oil is easier to get on my scalp. I figure I'm ahead of the game no matter what I decide. In all those the days I got my hair done in salons, I NEVER had a stylist base my scalp. :eek:

I'm just curious, what do you guys use? :scratchch

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I go to the salon, and the assistanat usually uses the Vitale base. She said that anything that could be heated up and could easily go through a squirt bottle could be used as a base.

LovelyLionessa

Hmmm... maybe I should pour some of Africa's Best oil in a bowl and mix it with a little Vaseline and apply that mixture to my scalp with a nozzle applicator bottle. That would definitely eliminate a step with me trying to part my hair and apply the Vaseline with my finger. :brainy:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Priestess said:
Hmmm... maybe I should pour some of Africa's Best oil in a bowl and mix it with a little Vaseline and apply that mixture to my scalp with a nozzle applicator bottle. That would definitely eliminate a step with me trying to part my hair and apply the Vaseline with my finger. :brainy:

I once saw another stylist warm up some hair grease and mix it with some oil, and apply it with the nozzlie applicator, so it may work.:perplexed

caribeandiva

Human being
Dudley's vitamin A, D, & E hair and scalp conditioning oil. it's super light weight so it doesn't interact with the relaxer.

LovelyLionessa

caribeandiva said:
Dudley's vitamin A, D, & E hair and scalp conditioning oil. it's super light weight so it doesn't interact with the relaxer.

So that's what I'm wondering, if I can just use oil. That Dudley's oil, does it have any petroleum or mineral oil in it? I wonder if I need that, like Vaseline or my Softee grease to create an effective barrier. I seem to remember the Phyto relaxer kit came with a hair oil for its base. I guess to be safe I should probably warm up a little grease and add that to the oil and apply it with the nozzle applicator. :rolleyes: