WHAT DO YOU CO-WASH WITH???

MissFallon

I want to start co-washing but don't know what conditioner to use. I was in the BSS for an hour with no luck. What do you use???

I use VO5 extra body and tea therapy. I get them form the dollar tree and I love them. Good luck with finding the right conditioner!!!!!

I use Herbal Essenses...the red bottle (some tropical type)...I dont know how the ingredients compare with VO5's but I loooove the way my hair smells afterward.

I use the VO5 conditioners as well. I've found blueberry and strawberry to be the best. VO5 conditioners make the hair soft almost instantly. Also, it helps with any tangles...and the they smell great!

I co-wash with a homemade conditioning treatment. I start with an inexpensive conditioner, which i doctor up with a few other goodies. The cheap conditioner of my choice is either the VO5 Split Ends Treatment With Panthenol Conditioner OR the Suave Milk & Honey Conditioner (with milk protein & honey extract). I make certain the bottle starts off half empty, then add two eggs (protein), mayonnaise (protein), olive oil (moisturizing), honey (softness), and MSM powder (promotes healthy scalp and repairs hair).

I condition wash with Suave Milk & Honey con and just recently added some extra virgin coconut oil to it for extra slip. Smells good and softens my hair, also, being so inexpensive I don't mind using it several times each week;) !

MissFallon said:
I see a lot of ppl use the VO5, is that because it has better ingredients and doesnt leave buildup?

They say that cheapie conditioners such as Suave and Vo5 with no silicones work best to cowash. They add light conditioners and leave no build-up.

I used Nexxus Humectress before, Suave Milk N honey, and i just purchased V05 Kiwi Lime &Squeeze. I haven't tried it yet, but I will let you know once I do.

MissFallon said:
I want to start co-washing but don't know what conditioner to use. I was in the BSS for an hour with no luck. What do you use???

I generally use conditioners that say stuff on the bottle such as "for daily use" and clean rinsing" and I find that they leave little to no build-up. I use Citre Shine (revitilzing formula and moisturizing formula), Daily Defense Tender Apple, Daily Renewal 5X Retame, and Aussie Moist.

Roux Porosity Control Condish!

Its light, protein-free, silicone-free, super moisturizing with awesome slip, low pH 4.5 and leaves hair clean, silky, smooth and moisturized and its inexpensive -- $4.95 for 15.2 oz. It's the BEST of all worlds for co-washing, IMO . . .

Ingredients: water, propylene glycol, dicetyldimonium chloride, oleyl betaine, lecithin, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, DMD hydrandoin, fragrance, lactic acid, titanium dioxide, mica, methylparaben, propylparaben, violet 2, green 5.

I use Elasta QP Intense conditioner, because my hair doesn't like the cheaper conditioners like VO5 for co-washing. I DO use the VO5 and olive oil as a pre-poo, and it comes out fairly well.

MizaniMami said:
They say that cheapie conditioners such as Suave and Vo5 with no silicones work best to cowash. They add light conditioners and leave no build-up.

I used Nexxus Humectress before, Suave Milk N honey, and i just purchased V05 Kiwi Lime &Squeeze. I haven't tried it yet, but I will let you know once I do.

Isn't Kiwi and Lime Squeeze a clarifier?

I use Kenra. Even though its more expensive, nothing does a better job of detangling and softening my hair.

I CW daily and alternate between Robert Craig conditioner and Nutri-ox conditioner.

When those are gone, I'm wanting to which to Paul Mitchell's color protect daily conditioner because I want to add a moisturizing condition with light wheat protein to my regimen.

I tried richer conditioners but because I wash daily, it was overkill. I keep it light and use small amounts.

I do have Premier creme rinse in my shower. I don't really like it but am trying to use it up.

Occasionally I use Humectress, but I'd rather save that for other things ...I don't think it gives my the shine I want. ..

KiniKakes said:
I co-wash with a homemade conditioning treatment. I start with an inexpensive conditioner, which i doctor up with a few other goodies. The cheap conditioner of my choice is either the VO5 Split Ends Treatment With Panthenol Conditioner OR the Suave Milk & Honey Conditioner (with milk protein & honey extract). I make certain the bottle starts off half empty, then add two eggs (protein), mayonnaise (protein), olive oil (moisturizing), honey (softness), and MSM powder (promotes healthy scalp and repairs hair).

Kinikakes, I have used all these ingredients seperately for deep conditioning (still have to use the egg and mayo), but hadn't thought about mixing them ALL together to do a co-wash!! Brilliant:) Do you use the entire egg or just the egg white and also, do you store it in the fridge b/c of the egg??

ETA: Oh, I forgot! I use DDTA, V05 Citrus Tangerine (may not be the exact name but its orange), and also Suave Milk and Honey. They all work pretty good and I have a few more VO5 scents (recommended by ladies here) that I still have to try!

Last edited:
I cant use the V05 or Suave conditioners. They leave my hair feeling dry. When I condition wash, I can only use cholesterol (such as Lekair). Lekair is so good that it works well with or without my added honey and jojoba, but I do it anyway. :)

*ElleB said:
Isn't Kiwi and Lime Squeeze a clarifier?

The matching shampoo is. The conditioner is actually a light moisturizing condish with no clarifying properies. The ingredients are nothing different from any other conditioners.

I checked with the ladies on LHC about this also. Never tried it though.

blackbarbie said:
Kinikakes, I have used all these ingredients seperately for deep conditioning (still have to use the egg and mayo), but hadn't thought about mixing them ALL together to do a co-wash!! Brilliant:) Do you use the entire egg or just the egg white and also, do you store it in the fridge b/c of the egg??

ETA: Oh, I forgot! I use DDTA, V05 Citrus Tangerine (may not be the exact name but its orange), and also Suave Milk and Honey. They all work pretty good and I have a few more VO5 scents (recommended by ladies here) that I still have to try!

Hey BB,

I use the entire egg, not just the whites. I actually dont need to refrigerate because I always make just enough homeade conditioner to use for that one application. I have an empty VO5 bottle that I use now, and so I pour in a fair amount of conditioner, then add all the other ingredients..... and by the time Im done the conditioner bottle is just under half-filled..... and I use the entire thing. That way, I dont need to worry about storing it in a cool place.

Hmmm, ive never deep conditioned with the egg, because i sit under the dryer and i'd be afraid it would start cooking in my hair, lolol. J/k.

But yeah, when i co-wash with that I usually will rinse my hair out, saturate it with a water-based moisturizer, then bun. It doesnt dry completely in the bun and I dont expect it to, because I always wash my har at the salon the very next day. I notice that on the days that I co-wash the night before, the stylists who finish me ALWAYS remark that my hair appears shinier and fuller, that I dont need any sheen, and so on.... so perhaps Im using it like more of a pre-poo? I dunno.... but i like the idea of getting it washed/set right after i co-wash the night before. It works out well for me. :)

Actually, VO5 kiwi and lime co is commonly used as a clarifier. Lime is a clarifying eo, and rosemary is astringent. It does clarify well. The co is more acidic than others.

I use whatever conditioner I'm trying to get rid of (will never buy again). Elucence EMRT, Elucence MC, Redken All soft, MNT, QP DPR11, etc.

I've only co-washed once. I used Suave Coconut Conditioner w/Glycerin added to it. Thin, runny conditioners I think work best for co-washes. Also, should be absent of silicones.

Back