Do you co-wash? Why or why not? And what do you use to co wash with?

sparkle25

Hello

Everyone is sleeping right now lol. But hopefully I will have some replies when I wake up in the morning.

Anyways I have been out of the game for awhile, so just seeing what everyone has experienced and learned since I last spent a lot of time on this forum.

I'm thinking in going to try co washing again. I use to use VO5 but I can't remember how my hair liked it. Now I just use it to pre poo and detangle befor I wash. I want to try co washing again, but I want to use a better conditioner. Darcy's Botanicals has a cream wash that I ordered a few days ago. I remembered I liked that a lot.

Please share your co washing experince, what products you use and how often you do it, then how often you wash with shampoo if you do use shampoo.

Thanks ladies. Hope you are all sleeping soundly :)

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I mainly cleanse with a moisturizing poo called SD Go Moist. When I co-wash I use As I Am Coconut Co Wash. I love that stuff!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I cowash with whatever I have lying around. I feel it gives me a moisture boost during the week, but I don't really need to cowash. I shampoo with a moisturizing poo or use a co-cleanser each week to get my hair and scalp clean.

sparkle25

Froreal, which shampoos do you use? I liked your protein treatment recommendation, and I also got some stuff from the pomade shop, which I liked the first use as I felt tingling/stimulation when I rubbed it on my edges today....so I'm open to any suggestions you have :)

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I use a Variety - In no particular order:

Hairveda's MoistPRO, Moist 24/7, Acai Phyto Berry, Red Tea & Argan
Oyin Honey Hemp
Curls Coconut Sublime
Jessicurl Too Shea!'
Silk Dreams Destination Hydration
SSI - Avocado
Claudie Avocado Intense, Tropical Crème Rinse *various*
Afroveda *various*
Shea Moisture Purification Hair Mask

I also use a Variety of Cleansing Conditioners.

AgeinATL

I am a HUGE cowasher. When I was relaxed, I was not a cowasher. I prefered shampooing. Now that I am transitioning, I find cowashing to be much better for my hair overall and it keeps my NG and relaxed hair moisturized, soft and manageable. I HATED the V05 conditioners. They left my hair hard and unmanageable. I use the As I Am Coconut Cowash Conditioner and the Shea Moisture Purification Mask (I slightly prefer the SM) to cowash. They leave my hair soft, clean, and rinse easily from the hair.

If I wasn't so afraid of buildup on my low porosity hair, I would ONLY cowash, but as it stands, I can't. I shampoo wash about once every 3 weeks with the Shea Moisture shampoo with the brown label.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
My hair is fine and cannot take all the manipulation of constant washes. I hate cowashing, so I don't do it. I use shampoo 1x weekly with a Prepoo,DC and ACV rinse after every wash

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I'm relaxed and cowash regularly about 3-4 times a week with AOHSR (and I include rinses of oil/coffee/tea and coconut milk deep into a stretch).
I shampoo once every month or more and I go through my cowash routine after I wash.

VictoriousBrownFlower

I don't really co wash because its too much manipulation to my hair but I dry dc sometimes when my hair needs it. I just put a dc of choice on and leave it for a few hrs. Then I wash it out and wet bun.

I like to leave my hair alone. I think that is the best thing for my fine hair. I don't do more than what needs to be done. The only time I would think to co wash is when I want to change or refresh a style and then I would use whatever conditioner I have around. I heard good things about herbal essence or aussie moist.

koolkittychick

I find co-washing doesn't work for me. It doesn't clean my scalp, which leaves it coated, itching and inflamed. Washing with a sulfate-free shampoo works best for me.

Lovestyr

I mix up my cowash condishers, I use* herbal essences touchable smooth? (Pink bottle) - don't recommend this , I'm just trying to make room for bf items hehe
*Con chamomile & comfrey conditioner
* Gvp Nexxus humectress conditioner, these are the ones I have I use most often
Also in rotation * aubrey white cameilia conditioner***** kenra mc( I luvvv this stuff :) I only cowash with kenra if I'm straightning my hair.

I personally had no luck cowashing w/ vo5 or suave, hhe. It makes my hair feel weird upon drying. I may revisit them at a later date.

I shampoo every 2 weeks and cowash 2x a week because I work out a few times a week--still trying to manage this nest after the gym, has me puzzled.lol***I shampoo with redken real control, elasta qp shampoo for relaxed hair or con whateva one I can find. I really like redken so far.

I like to cowash because it helps me keep my hair moisturized and deal with my kinks while stretching.

Last edited:

Embyra

I have been using tresemme naturals forever!!

It has cleansing agents in it I stick to the moisture one
I don't use shampoo or anything that creates a lather
When I want to splurge I use hairrules no suds cleanser
I can't wait to try the shea moisture cowash it will prob be my fave

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Low porosity here :wave: Although I will cowash from time to time, cowashing doesn't give my hair enough hydration. I need heat for my hair to fell the ultimate best.