What didn't you know before LHCF?........

DeniseH

What didn\'t you know before LHCF?........

Ok, Ladies, lets put our thinking caps on! I am curious to know what products have become a staple in your hair care routine, that you never heard of or used before joining LHCF? What products made you search the internet, local drugstore, beauty supply, or create yourself based on suggestions you read here?

I know I had never heard of:
* Surge14 Plus
* Wild Growth Oil
* Nexxus Emergencee (ok, the whole line!)
* Conditioner washes and ACV rinces (wash my hair with conditioner! yeah, right! Who knew!)
* Kenra and Elucence
* Nutrine Garlic Shampoo/Conditioner
* MSM Supplement
* Carol's Daughter products
* Redken Smooth Down Line

(thinking.......) I am pretty sure there are lots more.....

Ok, now, I had seen these products in professional hair salons, but it took the testimonials from others to realize the benifits some of these products DO have on African-American hair! I had been a CVS junkie for the longest time.......

Yes, I was in the dark! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Anybody else care to comment? Ladies?

candibaby

Re: What didn\'t you know before LHCF?........

Nexxus EVERYTHING (almost the whole line are staples)
Kenra
Surge
Sta Sof Fro

using cheapo conditioners as pre poo treatments.. actually doing pre poo treatments.. co washes.

before LHCF i used whatever shampoo/conditioner i could find.. didnt deep condition.. as a matter of fact i was using Pantene R&N's whole line when i joined this board. thank god i got away from that crap! who in the world puts petrolatum in a shampoo?!!

paishens

Hi Denise! I recently got my subscription so I'm no longer a lurker anyways to answer your question I had no idea I was over processessing my hair in the past. I would never have thought to put honey of all things in my hair ( which my hair loves), Surge ( nobody around here, central Indy, has heard of this stuff),I've never heard of Affirm or phytospecific relaxers, I'm sad to admit it but I was one of those people who believed "certain" types of hair just wont grow but now I truly understand the concept of hair care thanks to you ladies.

webby

Think Slim

Welcome Denise /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I learned how to handle my hair, for the most part before I became a member, but I owe my knowledge of products and their use to LHCF.

I had always used Nexxus and Sebastian products, as well as a host of dominican products. The members here really helped me understand the proper way to use protein how to get more moisture. The women here are priceless.

DeniseH

How could I forget about honey in my conditioner! I never deep conditioned under a hooded dryer, or a heat cap. I now own both.

Let me NOT leave out the K-Cutter comb, bone combs, and DENMAN brushes! I did, however, own the CHI iron before LHCF. I DID NOT, however, know what products to use with it, lol!

Angelicus

Dominican products (of course), washing hair in sections, hennalucent.

jellynote

bone combs surge
denman brushes kenra
essential oils for hair growth mango butter msm
henna dominican products
co washes ceramic flat irons
biotin ceramic curling irons
wildgrowth oil and that's all I can think of for now. I'm really thankful for all wisdom you ladies have given me. Now I am growing my hair longer than I'd dream I could. I'm glad I have you ladies to keep me inspired each and everyday.

Thank you /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!

Wow...I've learned so much from everyone here...but off of top of my head....

Aubrey Organics /images/graemlins/up.gif/images/graemlins/up.gif
Carol's Daughter
Denman Brushes
K-Cutter Comb
Using a water filter
Daily conditioner washes
Combing/brushing under the shower head

Adding sweet treats like cinnamon and honey into my conditioners. /images/graemlins/lick.gif

Tai

Co-washing, Dominican products and salons, no heat styling were all foreign to be before LHCF. I also would have never used Suave and V05.

DeniseH

With Suave and VO5 being less than a $1.00, I thought it would NEVER work for my hair.

LEOLADYSW

Please don't laugh.

I didn't know what an avatar was. If you notice, I signed up for LHCF months before I first posted. I saw some of the avatars and got scared -- dolce dawn's was one that scared me.

I went to another forum for awhile til I got up the nerve to try again.

Dolce_Dawn

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif My lil avatar scared you? I'm sowwy... /images/graemlins/frown.gif (lol)
I picked it b/c it looks a lot like me... /images/graemlins/look.gif

Truth be told, I had no idea what an avatar was until LHCF either. I also had no idea there were other women out there that loved doing (hair) and talking about all things related to hair as much as I do!

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword

I started researching many hair forums for info at the same time but the unique things I have learned from LHCF are coconut milk/lime juice, black castor oil, moisturizing and covering the ends with plastic and turmeric cream.

inthepink

If I had only known about protective styles and that less heat (all the time!) really did work, my hair would have been waist length or longer a long time ago. Ah well, you live and you learn. Now that I'm natural, I am hoping with all of my new knowledge, I won't have the same setbacks that I did when I was relaxed.

LEOLADYSW

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif My lil avatar scared you? I'm sowwy... /images/graemlins/frown.gif (lol)
I picked it b/c it looks a lot like me... /images/graemlins/look.gif

Truth be told, I had no idea what an avatar was until LHCF either. I also had no idea there were other women out there that loved doing (hair) and talking about all things related to hair as much as I do!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ok. I'm not scared anymore. /images/graemlins/cool.gif There were a few others that had me going also, not just your's alone.

I bet you are a pretty lady.

Honi

There is no board.

Before LHCF all I knew about hair was a rollerset, CON, QH Cholesterol and Infusium.

Since LHCF I discovered that my hair actually NEEDS protein
That there are other leave in conditioners out there
Better moisturizing conditioners that work for my hair – Kenra, Humecto, Elucence
CO washes – what the hell????
Honey in conditioners
Bone combs
Dominican products
Coconut oil – who would have thought a cooking oil could be used in your hair
Mineral oil is not good for my hair
Dusting the ends – never heard of that
Hair coloring – Tracy has taught me a hellofalot in this category
ACV rinses

I also discovered that what works on one may not work on another but it can be fun trying to find out what works

Babygurl

Carol's Daughter Products
Conditioner Washes

I wish I had known before I got here that protective styles retain a MAJOR amount of length, Id have a lot more hair if I already knew! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

Tru_Mind

I didn't know about
WGHO (love)
Bone combs (tried)
Conditioner Washes (tried)
Denman Brushes (tried)
biotin (tried)
glycerin (tried)
Surge14 Plus (tried)
Carol's Daughter Products (want to try)
Dominican blowout (want to try)
Dominican products (want to try)
Dusting the ends (love)
hennalucent (like)

jainygirl

*Aubrey Organics
*Protective Styling (i had done it for 1.5 years but didnt know that's what i was doing at the time)

cutebajangirl

Surge
Stay-sof-fro (The whole category of glycerin products)
Coloring correctly (thanks Tracy!)
Texturizing to get curls
Biotin

Desert Skye

1.I didnt know what breakage was. I had it at the time but i didnt think anything of it.
2.I didnt know how important moisture was to hair
3.I didnt know i what a clarifying shampoo was. I thougth all shampoos were the same. I had flaky scalp and thought i had dandruff but it really was product buildup
4.That i need to put heat protectant on my hair when using curling irons, flat irons.etc
5.I never heard of most of the shampoos and conditioners mentioned because i always thought that they were not for my kind of hair.

LB_Williams

[ QUOTE ]
naptrl said:
my list would be tooooooo long!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too so for now I'll just say, having nice hair with no heat!!!
If nothing else on my very long list that is the most important thing I didn't know before I found you all. I mean, I may actually get to see it longer than my shoulders now!

Thanks everyone on LHCF!!! /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

LABETT

Dominican products
Using curl activator on relaxed hair Sta-So-Fro/S-curl
Co washes
Alma and Coconut oil
Denman Brushes
Elucence and Kendra
Heat cap for deep conditioning
Protein treatments regularly

DeniseH

Before this forum, This was my routine:

Wash hair with CON, MAYBE use Lekair Cholesterol, add some IC hair polisher oil, break out that FIRE DRYER, plug up that MURDERER CURLER and WHAM! I was fried, dyed, and laid to the side, girl! Hair all over my shoulders, and I didn't know why! My hair stayed in a ragged, jagged bob. I HATED having hair on my back from shedding and breakage. This forum has been a hairsaver!

Oh, I did not know what "dusting" was!

carletta

I never knew about:
coconut milk
no heat period!
surge /images/graemlins/clap.gif
deep condition w/every shampoo
kenra /images/graemlins/clap.gif
how 2 maintain braids to keep lenght /images/graemlins/clap.gif
certain supplements to support hair growth
no contact styles...
....THIS LIST COULD GO ON ALL NIGHT !! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

VelvetRain

DeniseH your hair is really pretty!

Before coming here I knew the basics of how to take care of my hair and the right products. Fortunately I found out about the Kenra line of products which I have to say are fabolous and a good match with my hair.

Peachtree

I didn't know about:

1) Transitioning...I prolly would have still been relaxed had I not found this site!
2) "ABSOLUTELY NO HEAT" styling
3) Airdrying
4) Conditioner Washes
5) The importance of covering hair with a satin cap at night
6) WATER, WATER, WATER!!! WATER is not the enemy. Improper maintenance is!
7) Products GALORE! Just toooo many to name!