Things that you didn't know about hair products

skegeesmb

Things that you didn\'t know about hair products

O.k I'm not the only one, what are somethings that you didn't have a clue about when it came to hair care, or products that you would just die if anyone knew?

For me, I didn't know what a texturizer was in name. I knew about Duke wave kits, but I had no idea it was a texturizer. I found out when I got to college and somebody was making fun of a guy because he had a texturizer in his hair trying to simulate wavy hair.

I didn't know what a twa was until I joined hair boards. I had no idea about the phases of hairgrowth until I joined hair boards and really got into hair care.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Re: Things that you didn\'t know about hair products

I'd never heard of a twa, either. I was actually pronouncing it "twah" for a while.

I'm embarrassed to admit that it wasn't until last year that I discovered that it wasn't ok to use any old shampoo off the drug store shelf. I bought whatever smelled the best. I thought shampoo was supposed to leave my hair squeaky and dry as a dog biscuit. That meant it was clean.

northernbelle

Re: Things that you didn\'t know about hair product

The difference between a moisturizing and a protein conditioning treatment; the negative affects of product build-up on hair, and the importance of regular clarifying; the importance of weekly deep conditioning treatments; what a relaxer *actually* does to the hair, and how to prevent its potentially damaging effects on the hair; the importance of moisturizing the ends of the hair reguarly,and using non- petroleum/petrolatum/mineral oil-based products; the damage too much heat can cause to the hair; the benefits of shampooing in the shower; the drying chemicals many shampoos contain; the many products available for hair; companies which market natural hair care products; and lastly, hair care boards such as the LHCF.

I'm sure I will come up with other things at a later time, but this is all for now.

northernbelle

NubianAngel

I didn't know that you can still have dry hair even if you use tons of grease and oil.

Never knew that "jheri curl juice" could actually soften my natural hair.

I never knew that I could use conditioner to gently clense my hair and scalp.

soslychic

I'm not going to list everything unless you all want to read a book............yea didn't think so

Didn't know that shampooing only once every 2-3 weeks was unexcepable and didn't know that washing more often actually puts moisture IN hair. I thought grease and a bunch of oils would keep my hair from getting dry. I didn't know my scalp was suffocating from all the grease I put on it. I didn't know that wearing extensions constantly without a break and tight would break my hair. I didn't know that there was a difference between any shampoos and conditioners and picked up the cheapest, most nicely packaged ones. I didn't know about protective styles or distilled water or the RIGHT moisturizers or product build up or gentle combing and brushing and the right non hair breaking tools or about hot oil treatments or how bad relaxing and coloring could be and how to take care of processed hair. I never considered anything but a relaxer as an option, now I have even though I'm sticking with my texturizer at least the though of going natural has crossed my mind and I'm more open minded. And most of all, I didn't know black people's hair could grow long unless they were mixed. Major misconception and I'm greatful to this board and all of the knowledge I have obtained.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I'd never heard of a twa, either. I was actually pronouncing it "twah" for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

nuh uh.

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yall are gonna crack up at me, but how DO you pronounce it? Is it not a real word, but just an abbreviation for teeny weeny afro?

nuh uh.

[/ QUOTE ]

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yall are gonna crack up at me, but how DO you pronounce it? Is it not a real word, but just an abbreviation for teeny weeny afro?

nuh uh.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just say the letters T-W-A

Spagirl

I didn't know that non-water soluble "cones" and "waxes" in products build up on hair and need to be clarified to removed.

FineChyna

didn't know what type of shampoo to use in my hair, never heard of a "moisterizer" that was a leave in, didn't know there were alot of natural hair sistahs in the world, didn't know for the longest that you weren't supposed to brush your hair w/ bristle brushes, had no clue that if your hair wasn't growing or was growing slow it might have been because of vitamin deficiancy, had no clue that there was a difference between protein and conditioning shampoo, thought hair grease was the answer to everything and the only REAL hair products for black people, never used cholesterol till recently...i mean the list goes on and to think my mom has her hair licence and wouldn't tell me jack about how to take care of my hair or even help me.

alot of this stuff should have been common sense but when you are young (i'm 21 now) you don't know any better

DatJerseyDyme

I used a protein conditioner with EVERY wash, once a week and didn't moisturize. I just applied grease and called it a day.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Girl, you always have me

LABETT

I never use a leave-in conditioner just wash and conditioned
and applied gel that caused my hair to flake.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

nuh uh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I should have kept that one to myself!

cybra

I had no idea what "instant weave" was. I have never had a weave so I didn't know. Actually, I'm still not sure if I know, but I am trying to piece together some idea from the various posts. Also, I use hair to do my braids and always thought that was considered a weave until someone on a post called it "extentions". I guess I need to stay on the forum until I get all the terms down.

BTW, you ladies are so funny..."twah"...you're killing me!

bimbabe

I always bought the shampoo and conditioner of a product line. I never found products that were actually good for my hair I just took up any shampoo and matching conditoner and used it until it was done.
I never knew there would actually be hair products that could damage your hair's health. I thought all were supposed to be good and maybe some hair was just resistant to being tamed :p no matter what products you used on your hair.

Karonica

I didn't know a lot of stuff.
The main thing I didn't know was that hair could be washed with conditioner, without shampooing!

I also didn't know the theories about protein versus moisturization, and I didn't have a single clue what hair ingredients meant. All I knew is that if it had vitamins in it, it had to be good. I've come a long way.

G

I did not know that Olive Oil could be used in your hair, just for sauteeing and pasta.....

And I thought EVOO was a brand name Product.

FLAME

I absolutely new nothing!! before I found this forum.I'm not kidding. I had short hair all of my life; not by choice, it kept breaking. all of the things I see here are new to me. I had no idea on how to take care of my hair. I thought you were supposed to wash it once a week, oil your scalp with dax (the green/blue fish smellin stuff) and blow dry until the heat burn your scalp or when all of the hair is bone straight. wow! BOY was I IGNORANT
! but now I'm empowered with knowledge. I believe I can have the long healthy hair I've always been praying for.

katie

i didnt know braids shouldnt be worn for too long at a time
didnt know what a protein conditioner was
didnt know it is bad to blowdry on high and then flat iron on high
thought airdrying was for white ppl(or anyone with naturally straight hair)
thought drugstore products were a waste of time
didnt know I could wash without shampoo
had never used a leave-in conditioner

HotCoCoGurl130

A "quick weave" or "instant weave" is kinda like a wig but you part your hair in the front to cover the artificial hair line. Its not as heavy as a wig though.

Things that I didnt know before I joined the board is that less is more. Less manipulation to my hair has done wonders. Trims are not the answer to everything unlike what alot of hairdressers will tell you. You can go longer then 6 weeks without a relaxer, every persons hair is different. Supplements are vital to hair growth (if you are not already taking care of your body) Protective styles and moisture does not mean a tone of "grease"

[ QUOTE ]
cybra said:

I had no idea what "instant weave" was. I have never had a weave so I didn't know. Actually, I'm still not sure if I know, but I am trying to piece together some idea from the various posts.

nita4

Ditto northernbelle, you pretty much covered it for me.

I didn't know you weren't supposed to flat iron "dirty" hair.

If the instructions told me to follow a protein treatmetn with a moisturizer, I would do it, but only for 3 minutes, not 20-30 min. like I do now.

I didn't know that I could wash my relaxed hair more than once a week. I was always taught that anything more was way too much manipulation.

I had never heard of clarifying before coming to the boards. I thought that was just for swimmers.

I always thought the "hair vitamins" I saw in the stores were gimmacks.

I did not know that you can lather just once and still get your hair clean (I used to lather two or three times).

I did not know it was possible to use a shampoo from one company and a conditioner from another product line.

I thought curl activator had strong chemicals in it to alter the curl pattern.

Things I didn't know . . . [I'm glad that's past tense.]

--perfect peace