What Counts As A Deep Conditioner?

lamaria211

Does it have to state Deep conditioner on the label?
Is it 1-2 mins?
3-5 mins?
Maybe 10 mins?
Does the product have to state "use plastic cap"?
Or maybe its tge price?
Im asking because I see so many different times and directions im not sure what is what so what do you guys think?

Mz.MoMo5235

I'll wait here with you because I am also lost. I tend to use things that state "DC" on it other wise I dont know. Or what I do if I'm lazy or out, I get a regular cond and add stuff to it "oils and other things" and DC with that although whether its an actual DC I dont know.

Right now I'm using one from CD and I love it. Its the first DC that I actually feel some kind of difference after using it. SInce I'm bald now I can use it forever and a day. But when I was WL and longer it would still last me a while (but I often forget to DC unless my hair slaps me and says it needs it)

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
lamaria211 said:
Does it have to state Deep conditioner on the label?
Is it 1-2 mins?
3-5 mins?
Maybe 10 mins?
Does the product have to state "use plastic cap"?
Or maybe its tge price?
Im asking because I see so many different times and directions im not sure what is what so what do you guys think?

I dont think it has to say DC on it for you to use as a DC. You can even make your own with regular con and adding your own oils and other stuff. And leave it on however long you want. I only invest in things that say DC as a treat bc for me they can be pricey. I usually use Organix brand to DC with or any cheapie (suave, aussie 3 min, etc) con with coconut oil added. Its up to you though

Krystle~Hime

water, emulsifier, oils, additives. is the same ingredient list for products. What differs is the type of emulsifier and/or additives that makes the product more
-heavy
-rich
-thicker
-creamy

I don't mind if a conditioner isn't labelled as "deep conditioner" or mask. if it's thick enough for me, I just have to add honey/molasses and leave it one hour on hair :rolleyes:

ilah

Good question. I use a cheapie suave humectress for co-washes but use....Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol as a deep con once a week for about 10min under plastic cap. My hair seems to like it and soaks it up. Plus its cheap! (4-5 bucks at sally's)

I haven't however added anythng to regular conditioners....sounds like a good idea, may save some money....good call HairPleeze

Love Always

I would say something thick. I don't use a DC thats labeled as such but each Saturday I use any ole conditioner and leave it for the entire day and rinse it out when I take my evening shower.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I say it's all how you use it. I'll take cheap ole Suave Humectant, add a bunch of Ayurvedic herbs, oils, and honey and that's a magic DC. And it does a way better job on the regular, than most of the official DC's I've used.

Curlykutie

I only use Aubrey's Organics as my dc's Rosa Mosqueta and White Camellia. Nice and thick and my hair soaks it up.

empressri

My brain is telling me anything that has the most emollient, rich ingredients further at the top of the listing. For example, something you wouldn't use every other day.

jessicarabbit

good question OP! I think any thing that says DC or mask or treatment on the bottle is a DC. personally i dont think cheapies mixed with oils etc is considered a dc. i think products should be used as directed/intended. I think Nonie has some info about this.

faithVA

lamaria211, in that free kindle book that was being given away yesterday, I think she said that the difference between an instant conditioner and a DC, is that the instant conditioner smoothes the outside, but the intention of the DC is to soak into the hair strand. So one is more surface conditioning and the other is intended to treat the internal of the strand as well.

So the ingredients matter because only certain ingredients can penetrate the strand. I think it is more about the ingredients in the conditioner that makes it a DC. And the technique, dry hair/wet hair, heat/no heat, baggy/no baggy, time frame only helps with the performance.

Evolving78

lamaria211, in that free kindle book that was being given away yesterday, I think she said that the difference between an instant conditioner and a DC, is that the instant conditioner smoothes the outside, but the intention of the DC is to soak into the hair strand. So one is more surface conditioning and the other is intended to treat the internal of the strand as well.

So the ingredients matter because only certain ingredients can penetrate the strand. I think it is more about the ingredients in the conditioner that makes it a DC. And the technique, dry hair/wet hair, heat/no heat, baggy/no baggy, time frame only helps with the performance.

we have a winner! no amount of butters and oils added will turn a product into a deep conditioner if it was not intended for that purpose. you are just adding things for more slip.

lamaria211

I understand that but Alot of DCs and non DCs have some of the same ingredients aloe, hydrolyzed silk, glycerine, avocado oil shea etc.... How do you tell by ingredients alone?

Evolving78

I understand that but Alot of DCs and non DCs have some of the same ingredients aloe, hydrolyzed silk, glycerine, avocado oil shea etc.... How do you tell by ingredients alone?

not so much on ingredients, but the size of the ingredients that will penetrate the hair strands.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Oh okay ladies I see! You learn something new everyday... I thought you could use any con and add your own things to make it a DC but good to know how it's all works! Thanks for sharing: )

Nonie

good question OP! I think any thing that says DC or mask or treatment on the bottle is a DC. personally i dont think cheapies mixed with oils etc is considered a dc. i think products should be used as directed/intended. I think @Nonie has some info about this.

@lindsaywhat, you're thinking of the wrong person. When it comes to products, I'm the most clueless. Maybe this discussion will provide answers OP is looking for:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=453818

OP, maybe I'm a sucker but I just trust products that are masques, treatments, etc to be deep conditioners. I don't mix my own stuff. I don't believe any conditioner can be a DC. Like Lindsaywhat, I use products as directed.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I always judge it if it says:

Deep, Penetrating, Treatment, Mask, Masque, Restorative etc....and if it says 10, 20, 30, 60 minutes (or Overnight) and if it says: Should be used With Heat.:yep:

I think it has something to do with the Molecular Weight/Structure of the ingredients and it's ability to Target those areas where it's needed.

I personally do not believe that Instant, Creme Rinses etc....can be turned into a DCer

lamaria211

IDareT'sHair said:

Deep, Penetrating, Treatment, Mask, Masque, Restorative etc....and if it says 10, 20, 30, 60 minutes (or Overnight) and if it says: Should be used With Heat.:yep:

I think it has something to do with the Molecular Weight/Structure of the ingredients and it's ability to Target those areas where it's needed.

I personally do not believe that Instant, Creme Rinses etc....can be turned into a DCer

Instant being anything under 10 mins?
Many many people use Kenra MC as a DC and that stuff says apply and rinse but it also says deep penetrating? I personally go gaga for masques and treatments like u stated :) aint nothing to thick for this headohair

IMFOCSD

I agree...there are always keywords that will tell u if its a dc/treatment or not...deep, penetrating, strengthens, moisturises, etc. Its always best to read the labels. The amount of time does not always mean anything. I have a hair treatment that says leave on for 3-5 mins and rinse (i always leave it longer because i get side tracked).

AsTheCurlzTurns

I've been on this board since '08, and then went on hiatus for a few years and you would think I would know this info already!!! Guess time for me to do some serious catching up and find a REAL DC........sigh....Thanx for the thread OP.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
lamaria211

I just referenced 10 minutes, because most of the ones I've noticed have at least 10 minutes. Some say; apply plastic cap and sit under dryer, or...for deeper penetration do XYZ etc...

I'm certain there are some that say they can DC in 3-5 minutes like Aussie 3 Minute (*which I've never used or read up on, so I'm not sure*).

I just try to purchase ones that Reference that it's a Deep Conditioner/Treatment/Masque on the Jar/Tube and the Directions specifically reference Deep Conditioning.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Instant being anything under 10 mins?
Many many people use Kenra MC as a DC and that stuff says apply and rinse but it also says deep penetrating? I personally go gaga for masques and treatments like u stated :) aint nothing to thick for this headohair
lamaria211
Raises hand -- I DC with Kenra MC without issues.

greenandchic

All this time I thought my homemade stuff was DCs too. :D The only problem I have about store brought DCs is the price and the fact that a lot of them have cones in it...

Honey Bee

As I understand it, what makes a dc is the molecular size of the ingredients, not how long it has to stay on or whether to use heat or not. If the molecular size of whatever ingredient is not small enough to penetrate all the layers of the hair, it's not a dc. You can purchase the ingredients (ie, hydrolyzed keratin) and mix them up yourself but, as a former mixologist, I personally wouldn't recommend it. :look: Leave it to the scientists. I know they're expensive, but if you're mixing everything else, maybe a dc could be squeezed into the budget, you know?