Can you MAKE a regular conditioner a DC?

leigh.hill

I just learned the difference between a regular conditioner (leave in for a minute or two and rinse out) versus a deep conditioner (leave in for 15 minutes to ????). Soooo I already bought the Giovanni SAS and AO HSR which I guess are just regular conditioners, right? IDK. Educate me please!

I have had okay success with both of these conditions, but I ain't buying nuthin else til these are conditioners are finished (hopefully). So I need to make these work for me somehow. Can I do something to "make" these conditioners more like deep conditioners? IDK. I really want to like them and use them. Any suggestions well. Thanks in advance...

stelladata

Yes
You can mix them with other things you have around your house, like eggs, extra virgin olive oil, mayonnaise, avocado, plain yogurt, essential oils, scoop your kitchen out ;)

leigh.hill

Ahhhh, I love the idea of using what I have already (no buying - trying to reduce my pjish)!!!! The eggs and mayo would be for extra protein?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I just learned the difference between a regular conditioner (leave in for a minute or two and rinse out) versus a deep conditioner (leave in for 15 minutes to ????). Soooo I already bought the Giovanni SAS and AO HSR which I guess are just regular conditioners, right? IDK. Educate me please!

AO Actually says you can leave it on for 15 or 20 minutes I think. IMO: That is one of the Criteria for something being a Deep Conditioner. The amount of time it says on the Bottle/Jar that it can be left on.

I always look for Buzz Words i.e. Deep Penetrating, Treatment, Intensive Moisturizing, Repairative, Masque/Mask, Hair Paste. *Usually these are and can be left on for up to 1 hour*

I've never attempted to Doctor up a Instant Conditioner and try to 'convert' it into a DC'ing Treatment.

Dposh167

I agree with ^^^. I look for keywords too.
Just don't pick up a Suave or VO5 and try to DC OP

*Muffin*

Absolutely! Learned that trick from a youtuber named yasjencon. Right now, Everday Shea Moisturizing Conditioner + natural goodies (honey, oils, egg, etc.)= :yay:. But, in my humble opinion, it can't be just any rinse-out. For me, the rinse-out conditioner has to be thick and rich, not runny.

leigh.hill

Thanks for the suggestions so far ladies...

I guess the part that confuses me the most about AO is using it on dry hair (directions on bottle) to me that seems like a pre-poo not a dc. :spinning: Giovanni says "Deeper Moisture Conditioner" on the bottle, but the directions are "Apply after shampoo. Massage through to ends before rinsing thoroughly." :perplexed

Anybody out there use this conditioners and mix with success?

stelladata

Ahhhh, I love the idea of using what I have already (no buying - trying to reduce my pjish)!!!! The eggs and mayo would be for extra protein?

Yes :)
And I almost forgot, Honey... use sparingly but you can also mix that with your regular conditioner, it's very moisturizing.

LaFemmeNaturelle

AO Actually says you can leave it on for 15 or 20 minutes I think. IMO: That is one of the Criteria for something being a Deep Conditioner. The amount of time it says on the Bottle/Jar that it can be left on.

I always look for Buzz Words i.e. Deep Penetrating, Treatment, Intensive Moisturizing, Repairative, Masque/Mask, Hair Paste. *Usually these are and can be left on for up to 1 hour*

I've never attempted to Doctor up a Instant Conditioner and try to 'convert' it into a DC'ing Treatment.

Just because a product has those "key words" does not make it any different. Those are usually marketing ploys. You have to go by ingredients and know which ones can actually penetrate the hair strand. For example, Aussie Moist 3 minute reconstructor is not any much different than the regular aussie moist conditioner. The ingredients are very similar, they perform the same way. Another example, Lustrasilk that says is a deep conditioner says to be left on for about 3-5 minutes. So it's not always true to go by key words.

Last edited:

Nonie

I guess the part that confuses me the most about AO is using it on dry hair (directions on bottle) to me that seems like a pre-poo not a dc. :spinning: Giovanni says "Deeper Moisture Conditioner" on the bottle, but the directions are "Apply after shampoo. Massage through to ends before rinsing thoroughly." :perplexed

I too look for buzz words.

Applying AO HSR and AO GPB on dry hair makes it more concentrated. I think of deep conditioners being to hair what cleansing masks are to skin: more concentrated and doing a more intensive job than their regular counterparts. Most deep conditioners are very thick, especially if they are to be applied to wet hair. Otherwise as in the case of AO, applying it w/o there being water ensures that each strand is coated 100% with conditioner and not a diluted version so that treatment is deep, ahem, concentrated.

I don't put too much weight in the phrase "deeper moisture conditioner". Methinks they use the word deeper here in the same sense you would say "deeper color" meaning "more saturated or intense"...rather than in the sense "conditions deeply".

Missigirl

I always look at the back label and see how long it says to leave it in usually 15 to 20 minutes with heat is my clue that this is a deep conditioner.

bravenewgirl87

I agree with ^^^. I look for keywords too.
Just don't pick up a Suave or VO5 and try to DC OP
But, you can with v05. I don't know about Suave.
Here's a recipe (yes, I've used this)

1/2-1 c. Vo5 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream
1/4 Cup coconut milk
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp shea butter
2 tbsp avocado oil
2 tbsp sweet almond oil
2 tbsp amla or jasmine oil
1 tbsp of blackstrap molasses
Mix the honey and coconut oil with shea butter until smooth and emulsified. Heat oils in microwave for 10 secs., mix. Add mixture to oils, stir completely and then cool. Add oil and butter mix to conditioner. Stir then cool. Add molasses. Stir then cool. Apply to hair and let sit for 45 mins.

This should work.

*Muffin*

I used to think the same thing, and for the longest time I would first prepoo, then shampoo, then condition, then deep condition. Recently I caught a case of laziness and now I just deep condition for 30 or so minutes before washing on dry hair (I usually use heat during at least part of that time), then I shampoo using a sulfate-free shampoo and condition as usual. My hair still feels full of moisture. I notice that a lot of people deep condition on dry hair as well. As a personal preference, if I DC on dry hair, my hair likes products that have water either as the first ingredient or nearly the first ingredient. AOHSR doesn't have a lot of water in it (if any) so it wasn't that great of a DC for me on dry hair. I'd usually have to either dilute it or dampen my hair first.

As far as the Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner (I believe that's the one that says deeper moisture, not sure :perplexed) I tried it as a DC and I didn't like it at all :nono:. My hair had this weird smooth yet very matte finish, and as much as I tried to moisturize my hair it wouldn't feel hydrated. My hair did have a lot of movement in it, though. I tried mixing it with oils and stuff, and I still got the same results. Ironically, my hair loves it as a rinse-out. But I saw in one of Traycee from KISS's videos and she mentioned that she used Giovanni SAS conditioner (at least in that video) as a DC, and I didn't hear any complaints, so it's probably just me.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Okay, I don't think you read or understood my Originial Post.:look: Clearly, the time factor was stated in my answer, which would make a Product a Deep Conditioner.:yep:

Just because a product has those "key words" does not make it any different. Those are usually marketing ploys. You have to go by ingredients and know which ones can actually penetrate the hair strand. For example, Aussie Moist 3 minute reconstructor is not any much different than the regular aussie moist conditioner. The ingredients are very similar, they perform the same way. Another example, Lustrasilk that says is a deep conditioner says to be left on for about 3-5 minutes. So it's not always true to go by key words.

No, IMO: Those "Words" ALONE does not make something a Deep Conditioning Treatment, but a Combination of both Time and Heat and 'those "Words" Does...........:look:

I always look at the back label and see how long it says to leave it in usually 15 to 20 minutes with heat is my clue that this is a deep conditioner.

Exactly.:yep:

LaFemmeNaturelle

I fully read it and understood...next time I'll put IMO....because I also don't believe in just looking at the time that a manufacturer tells you to leave it in.....but I don't even believe in deep conditioning if using the definition that many people here use so I guess I'll keep out the thread all together.

leigh.hill

I too look for buzz words.

Applying AO HSR and AO GPB on dry hair makes it more concentrated. I think of deep conditioners being to hair what cleansing masks are to skin: more concentrated and doing a more intensive job than their regular counterparts. Most deep conditioners are very thick, especially if they are to be applied to wet hair. Otherwise as in the case of AO, applying it w/o there being water ensures that each strand is coated 100% with conditioner and not a diluted version so that treatment is deep, ahem, concentrated.

I don't put too much weight in the phrase "deeper moisture conditioner". Methinks they use the word deeper here in the same sense you would say "deeper color" meaning "more saturated or intense"...rather than in the sense "conditions deeply".

Thank you for that information:clapping:! I thought that since you shampooed after the DC, you reversed the benefit of the DC. I guess it would not be best to clarify after a DC with Aubrey HoneySuckle Rose - just use a regular shampoo.

Esq.2B

There was a thread in the past that had some sort of scientific explanation. In short, the answer to your question was no. There was an explanation about the formulas of the conditioner. I believe there's something where some conditioners have smaller molecules and are able to penetrate the strands while others are not made to penetrate the strand, regardless of how long you leave it on. It only coats the strand. I believe it.

Nonie

Thank you for that information:clapping:! I thought that since you shampooed after the DC, you reversed the benefit of the DC. I guess it would not be best to clarify after a DC with Aubrey HoneySuckle Rose - just use a regular shampoo.

I definitely would not use a clarifying shampoo. And I don't think you remove the benefits you got from DCing because DCing is supposed to go beyond just surface conditioning, while shampooing I believe works on the surface. After you DC, the advice is to shampoo and then condition as normal, and this second step then takes care of the exterior.

Perhaps, and I am guessing here, the reason for shampooing is that when you DC, all the good stuff is absorbed leaving useless stuff on the outside, hence the need to shampoo that away and then use something with benefit to coat and condition the surface. Maybe?

leigh.hill

I definitely would not use a clarifying shampoo. And I don't think you remove the benefits you got from DCing because DCing is supposed to go beyond just surface conditioning, while shampooing I believe works on the surface. After you DC, the advice is to shampoo and then condition as normal, and this second step then takes care of the exterior.

Perhaps, and I am guessing here, the reason for shampooing is that when you DC, all the good stuff is absorbed leaving useless stuff on the outside, hence the need to shampoo that away and then use something with benefit to coat and condition the surface. Maybe?

Even it was just a guess thanks for the explanation. I really did not read the directions that well. After I say "condition on dry hair" I stopped reading. Even though this thread got a bit off track, you ladies really helped me figure out how to use the conditions that I have. This weekend I am going to...
DC with the AO HSR with coconut oil and honey :yep:
Shampoo with KeraCare (the new sulfate-free version) :lick:
Condition with Giovanni SAS for a few minutes then rinse :yep:
Ugh...I guess use the porosity for few minutes then rinse

Barbara

Princess
If I make a mistake of purchasing a regular conditioner, then I add a little bit to my deep conditioner (Motions Moisture Plus--tub version) instead of throwing it out. Some will use a regular conditioner as a conditioner wash.

Last edited:

tami73

There was a thread in the past that had some sort of scientific explanation. In short, the answer to your question was no. There was an explanation about the formulas of the conditioner. I believe there's something where some conditioners have smaller molecules and are able to penetrate the strands while others are not made to penetrate the strand, regardless of how long you leave it on. It only coats the strand. I believe it.

Yep, you are right, its to do with the size of the protein molecules used Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein can penetrate all layers of the hair better and as such is excellent for deep conditioning. But something like collagen protein will be in a wash out conditioner because the molecules are larger.

On the other hand however, if you are doing a moisture dc then I don't think it makes much of a difference. I add honey and oil to a normal conditioner and steam my hair for a moisture dc.