What CAN we do with our hair?

Crysdon

From what I read on the board, it seems that a lot of styles are not good for our hair.

1) Ponytail/bun - Can damage/thin out the hairline

2) Wearing hair down - Can rub against clothing and cause split ends/damage, can also get dry from the elements

3) Wraps (dry or wet) - Can thin out hair overtime

4) Braids/extensions - Can cause major shedding

5) Protective styles - Can cause split ends when the ends rub up against each other OR will not grow well because the hair cannot "breathe"

6) Hair weaves - Can damage hair when thread from weave rubs against natural hair

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne0914

dang... you're right! we can't do nothin! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

i think all of these will work in moderation and with great care. i know that i personally get a little heavy handed. that's a problem...

adrienne

Tracy

Crys - your post made me laugh because I feel the same way about many things having to do with improving the appearance - there are often so many theories that it's hard to know which one to espouse.

But my rule of thumb is this - the best thing to do is to see if what is being said applies to your hair specifically. The fact is 'we' as a collective can't do the same things to our hair and all get the same results. And even if a person CAN do something for a period of time, it doesn't mean that it's something they will be able to do for life. That would certainly simplify the process for us - but I think it's unrealistic. I say use protective styling, wrapping, wearing the hair down or whatever for as long as it doesn't cause a problem for you. If you begin to notice an issue and you think it's attributable to something in particular (like a bun or a ponytail or frequent washing or whatever) then you make a change. Flexibility is a beautiful thing. Some of us (myself included) get so caught up in adhering to 'rules' that we forget that change is sometimes the best thing. So when it IS broke, you fix it......

The beauty of making our own regimes and taking the intiatives to care for our hair on our own is the ability to be flexible and not operate in absolutes. And it sure makes it more fun! I think the real problem is we unwittingly scare eachother and ourselves to the point where we have bad dreams if we do something that we think is a no-no. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I think really - like Adrienne said, anything in moderation really should be fine (besides well - I dunno - Nair? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) and when it stops working - switch up! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

We can wear curly pin-ups!

Oh wait...that falls under number 5. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Crysdon

Yep Adrienne, moderation is the KEY! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think the real problem is we unwittingly scare eachother and ourselves to the point where we have bad dreams if we do something that we think is a no-no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy, that's exactly the reason for the post. I've been so scared to try certain things in fear that I'll lose a few strands. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Yes, this is a funny post

rosebud

I was advised by my doctor and dermatoligist not to wear any hairstyles that pull on the hair ( eg, braids, buns, pony tails ) because it is not good for my scalp ( causes hair loss and painfull scalp ) and it goes against the natural growth pattern. I was told to wear it down always. I have started doing that and I feel liberated!!!
rosebud.

G

Rosebud, you are breaking rule No. 2!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Crysdon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Rosebud, you are breaking rule No. 2!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I said STOP IT! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, I'm definitely guilty of number 2. I'm so scared of hair being pulled and snagged by ponytail holders and such.

notsomebody

I think its a matter of finding the right combination. The problem is at least for me, overkill. Something works once and we continue to do it too much.
I keep thinking about Carolyn Gray and how she achieved long hair. Her book had several different sets, and I think she alternated them. Maybe thats the key. As for wear, I think the same thing applies. I rollerset my hair and when I sleep I pin the curls on top of my head. Some mornings when I take off my scarf, my hair looks so good that I just wear it to work that way. Then there are the buns, I am a fan of them because they are easy and I have a fear of wearing my hair down. But, I have started to force myself to wear my hair down at least 2 times a week. Its funny how we get so used to a certain way of styling but change hair products every week.

pebbles

How depressing! What are we supposed to do?? It seems no matter what style we choose to wear, we have something to worry about! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

G

We have to shave our heads Pebbles, that what we are SUPPOSED to do!!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

BlkMane

Something I do is wear my hair pulled back (loosely) in a ponytail or just the top of my hair pulled back (loosely) with one of those leather thingies that the stick goes thru. Do you know what I mean? It's like a piece of leather with two holes and you slide a stick thru it to hold the hair. The also make them in plastic, wood, metal, etc. all with wooden sticks.

I think it is much, much gentler than using elastics.

Also, if your hair is big and curly /images/graemlins/grin.gif you can pull it back with a "pantyhose" type elastic but without wrapping the elastic around the hair twice. Just gather your hair, pull it into a pony tail using the elastic and don't wrap it twice. In other words, a loose, curly ponytail. Looks really nice. I know these styles expose your ends, but just make sure you keep them moisturized and don't expose them to the elements when you are out during the winter.

Mahalialee4

I cut the sleeves off an old black silk shirt. Then I cut each sleeve in threes. I tie my hair back loosely with one of these near the very ends just like with the cut off panty hose. Because silk is light and there are no elastics inside it, it is easy on the ends and very light weight. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I shared the cut off panty hose thing on the old BlackHairCare site, (now defunct). Even if I leave it in for a couple of days, my hair does not get damaged or dry out underneath the silk, and there is no breakage or loose hairs sticking to it. At least for me. I buy old silk shirts from Good Will, wash them in ZERO, cold water wash by hand or in the washing machine. {of course you can pick any amount of colors, but I prefer black so that the oils do not show.} Good bargain too, because I get 6 silk ties for about $1.00. If you want a full looking tie ring, just cut the sleeve in half. Put them on the hair the same as any other "scrunchie", if you double or triple it on the hair. It looks really nice at the office, if you work and like to dress up too. It gives such a full looking, polished look without any strain on the hairline or hair shaft and is very quick. If you are "relaxed" you can dry your hair for a full, crimped look right out of the shower...and air dry with the silk on the end. It shows the lenght of your hair very nicely! /images/graemlins/wink.gifBonjour.

sweetcocoa

I agree with Adrienne and Crysdon....moderation. I still do the ponytails, buns, wraps and wearing my hair down...but I don't do them all the time. The only things I've been consistent about is not using the blowdryer and curling iron.