What do u think about this theory on trimming split ends??

Hi,, i saw this theory b4 but im not sure of your opinion on it. After about a 2 inch trim back on may 4th, i have regained most of that growth ( i trimmed off old damage, old perm and thin ends) now i have wayyy less split ends but ive been wary about trimming at all becuz then the healthier hair above the thinner ends/ damage will become thin and damaged!! I would keep trimming off the thin hair but then in a month the "new" ends are thin too,,, should i just be patient till i reach my length goal and then trim? Im seriously considering this,, Im about an inch past apl in back and apl on the sides and i want waist and if i keep trimming my thinner ends itll take forever!!! Ive already trimmed approx three inches this year :-( thats ENOUGH LOL, it hurts just thinking that my hair would be 3 in longer right now if i hadnt had to cut that damage off GRRRR!! Anyway my ends are not badly damaged , just ocassional split and of course thinner! Someone help with this dilemma!!!:wallbash: Ok I just checked my blog and since December 2006 ive cut nearly a years worth of length!!!!!!!!! My heart!:nono::wallbash:,, I was busy cutting old perm and major damage from b4 i knew healthy hair care,, Ive made up my mind NO MORE TRIMMING till my goal,, just dustings.....

Last edited:

hopeful

I've thought about this as well. It's almost as if those thinner ends protect your hair. I know some people will be like is she :spinning:, but that's how it seems to me. Most of my hair stays the same level of thickness from root to tip but my coiliest section always thins out at the ends. I've decided to wait till I reach APL before doing any serious trims, then I'm waiting till bra-strap.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
You should be fine with just dustings but I wouldn't not trim at all though. I did that back in high school and my hair went nowhere:nono:. When I finally started dusting it grew a lot. I don't think it's good to keep damaged ends because they just break off.

1god1

I will mainly dust the back and trim the front...well...if I see a split hair, I will only cut that hair. I am also in the process of transitioning, so dusting also helps get rid of the permed parts/ends.

Pokahantas!! thanx for your input, i always take your advice, once again your hair is so amazing!! you were my main inspiration to go natural, loving the natural curls!!

Cichelle

I haven't cut or trimmed my hair in two years and I have no plans to do it any time soon. I have done S&D missions, but I very rarely ever find a split end. I don't believe in trims for reasons other than damage. If I felt the need, I would dust.

I've seen quite a few people who trim off their ends because they are thin or some other similar reason, only to have the same problem repeatedly and continue to trim....therefore they retain no length.

It has been my plan to begin to do trims when I am ready to maintain at a certain length, and then never to have an amount trimmed off that exceeds my growth. Grow first, dust if necessary, trim later...is my motto. But everyone's hair is different.

Jetblackhair

I've done the trim thing over and over again...never any length achieved. This time I'm going to try something different...NO TRIM...scissors won't see my hair until I reach BSL:nono: