What am I doing wrong? (ponytail method)

H

HoneyRockette

I tried the ponytail method and not only did I get a big dent from where my ponytail holder was but my ponytail was stringy looking and a little frizzy at the bottom. What am I doing wrong? I have about an inch and a quarter of new growth too. Isn't there another method if you have a lot of new growth?

pmichael52172

I don't think you're doing anything wrong (someone correct me if that's not true) because I get the same result, which is #1 - why I always flat iron my hair when after it dries and #2 - why I can figure out how in "Sam Hill" some of the sisters on this board get "wearable" results after their ponytail has dried.

I'm anxious to read some answers to your post /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pmichael52172

Oops, I meant #1 why I always flat-iron my after AFTER it dries and #2 why I CAN'T figure out why in "Sam Hill" some of the sisters on this board get wearable results....

Proofreading is our friend /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

rayne

I still get the indentation from the ponytail too. As for combating the frizzies, I have a few methods that usually work. When I can remember, I usually put on some type of silicone product on the ponytail itself, concentrating on the ends, then I either:
~comb through it several times as it dries
~roll the ponytail around a large magnetic roller(s)
~comb through the ponytail while still wet to make sure it's straight, then tie a scarf around my whole head
~apply some hair oil, then roll the ponytail using the Caruso steam rollers to smooth out the frizzes (this is done after the ponytail is already dry)

notsomebody

To get rid of the bump from the ponytail holder, I normally take the pony tail down when my hair is about 90 percent dry. Then I bobby pin it flat to my head. Or, I twist or wrap it depending on the mood I am in. As for the frizzies, I work evoo or wgo through the hair several times as it is drying, or I twist the ponytail. You can also roll the ends of the pony tail. Regardless, once you remove the ponytail you need to put on a silk scarf to let it dry the rest of the way.

When I have a lot of new growth, I tend to do more than one ponytail because the new growth makes my already thick hair that much more so. So, Ihave no choice but to divide and conquer. Extra Virgin Olive oil on wet hair is amazing for combatting the frizzies as it dries, so is wgo. I tend to dilute my wgo with Evoo because the smell is so strong or I just use a lot of Evoo or Jojoba which works better than wgo alone on my hair.

hth

uniquev11

I split my hair down the middle and use 2 smaller ponytail clips to get a tighter hold. That helps with the new growth.
Then I use 3 jumbo rollers in each ponytail and sit under the bonnet dryer for about 45 minutes and then I let it air dry a little longer.
When I take it out of the ponytails, I also have a little dent from the clips, but since my hair is not 100% dry it is usually easy for me to put some shea butter on it and twist it up for the night.
The dents are gone by the morning.
I just like the fact that it gets my roots straight without a blow dryer.

G

I don't wear my hair down when I do the "so-called" ponytail method, I always wrap then ends up for a bun. If not that, then I scrunch the ends for a curly/wavy/kinky ponytail. /images/graemlins/smile.gif So I don't take out the ponytail, and I don't worry about that little dent in the hair!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
uniquev11 said:
I split my hair down the middle and use 2 smaller ponytail clips to get a tighter hold. That helps with the new growth.
Then I use 3 jumbo rollers in each ponytail and sit under the bonnet dryer for about 45 minutes and then I let it air dry a little longer.
When I take it out of the ponytails, I also have a little dent from the clips, but since my hair is not 100% dry it is usually easy for me to put some shea butter on it and twist it up for the night.
The dents are gone by the morning.
I just like the fact that it gets my roots straight without a blow dryer.
how do u twist your hair up at night to avoid your twisted up hair from leaving a dent??? :confused: