Please Help?!?! Ponytail Method Question...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
For Those Who Have Thin Hair...

I have thin hair as well and I just read leejure's post about wearing a wet bun caused her breakage.

I was thinking about doing the ponytail method (washing my hair 2-3 times a week and letting it airdry in a ponytail each time)

For those who have done the ponytail method, did it cause u any breakage?

Im wondering if I should do this? What do you guys think? Please feel free to leave tips for breakage prevention.

Im not thinking about putting it in a BUN

I just want to leave it as a PONYTAIL

Is it okay for me to airdry a PONYTAIL with thin hair like mine?????

Please suggest...dont just view and go away

Teva

Re: Can Someone Please Help Me?!!?!?!!??!!?!?!??!!?!?!

The key for me was to do a very light bun. If what you are using to secure your bun on wet hair is tight then your hair will surely break quick fast and in a hurry. Plus your hair will take longer to dry keeping it in that weak state.

My hair is soo fine when it is wet but when it is dry it seems very strong. Anyway to answer you yes my hair broke when I conditioned wash every day and then put in a bun. I have to let it air dry out a bit then do a light hold bun.

AnjelLuvs

Re: Can Someone Please Help Me?!!?!?!!??!!?!?!??!!?!?!

I usually let my ponytail hair dry first then put it in a bun.

aqualung

Re: Can Someone Please Help Me?!!?!?!!??!!?!?!??!!

[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:
My hair is soo fine when it is wet but when it is dry it seems very strong. Anyway to answer you yes my hair broke when I conditioned wash every day and then put in a bun. I have to let it air dry out a bit then do a light hold bun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have fine hair too. My hair also broke/ripped/shed when I condition washed and showercombed it daily. It's too weak when soaking wet, and I'm not skilled enough at handling it.

Now, I wash my hair every 1-2 weeks with the hair in 4+ braided sections. I comb it out when it is just damp, not soaking wet. By the time I'm done combing it, it's nearly dry. I make a braided bun, pin it up with Good Hair Day pins and leave it alone for the next 1-2 weeks (or until the next houseparty or hot date). I have no breakage problems with the braided bun.

I retain length best when I am taking my vitamins, Surging, and leaving my hair alone for 1-2 week intervals.

So the optimal pattern is like this (assuming no house parties or hot dates):
2 weeks rollerset straight
wash/condition
2 weeks bunned
wash/condition
2 weeks bunned
wash/condition
2 weeks bunned
relax and rollerset again.
I manipulated my hair 4 times in 8 weeks. NOT EVERY DAY!

1 year of trial and error has led me to realize that this works for my fine 4a/b lye relaxed hair.

ETA: Make sure you seal moisture into your ends if you plan to ponytail consistently...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Re: Can Someone Please Help Me?!!?!?!!??!!?!?!??!!

Im not thinking about washing it everyday!!! I currently shampoo and condition my hair once a week. I was thinking about doing it 2-3 times a week...not everyday!! Im just wondering if it is okay for me to airdry a ponytail with thin hair like mine?????

My hair combs great when soaking wet or completely dry but when it is damp or in airdrying state, its prone to breakage. Thats why Im asking this question...