The Ponytail method

aikaa71

Hi,

I have questions.

1. Are they any 4s using this method to airdry hair?

2.What products do you use before and after doing your ponytail?

3. Does this method give you same effect as you would get if you used heat(i.e straightness and shine)

4.how long(hours) does it take for hair to dry when using this method.

any suggestions for other methods that do not involve heat are welcome.

notsomebody

I use this method. I modified it slightly so that I could decrease the drying time.
After my final rinse of conditioner (using cold water to seal the hair shaft and lay down the cuticle) I gently smooth all of my hair back and put it in a loose bun with the ends under. I hold that in place with a roller clip. This allows the ends of my hair to stay as wet as possible while I dry off and get dressed ( do all of my washes and rinses in the shower).

Then I remove the clip and spray my hair with IC hair treatment (its in a clear bottle and has a picture of a repaired split end on the back of it).

Then I section my hair. Mahailialee (sp) posted a while back on the old board a method for wrapping hair that I use with the ponytail method. I section my hair as though I am going to wrap it using her method. I spray each section with Ion anti-frizz leave in conditioner and put them in loose buns held with roller clips (again to keep the ends as wet as possible for as long as possible. This also helps with tangles).

I take the first section and apply profective's break free to it then a little jojoba oil and comb through. Then I add a little WGO and put it in the ponytail. I apply more wgo to the loose hair in the ponytail, comb through it and move on to the next one. I repeat the process for each ponytail (somewhere between 4 and 6 together).

Once they are all done, I smooth each ponytail around my head as though I were wrapping it, but I don't use a comb. I apply WGO to each as I need it during the smoothing. I make sure that the very ends of each ponytail are tucked under and secure them with bobby pins.

Then I put on my silk scarf. My roots dry very quickly (air dry) like within a couple of hours. The rest of my hair is usually pretty dry (75percent or so) by the time I go to bed (10-11:30pm) with me having wrapped by 3 or 4pm.

Before I go to bed I take down the ponytails, apply a little more wgo and re-wrap them (without getting rid of the parts) without a comb and tie it up to sleep (I can't sleep with ponytails in my hair at all).

When I wake up the next morning my hair is dry but very moisturized and has an amazing shine ( my hair is never shiny if I just do a wet wrap, but this method always gives me shine and softness). I use my paddle brus or a wide tooth comb to get rid of the parts and smooth out the bumps from the ponytail. Since I am majorly into protective styling, I usually pull my hair back into a bun or french twist and my hair is sleek enough for these styles to work.

HTH

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I use this method and I am transitioning. I have approx 3"-4" of new growth...

What products do you use before and after doing your ponytail?

After rinsing out my deep conditioner, I rub in a dime-sized amount of a moisturizing conditioner into my dripping wet hair and leave it in. I usually use Suave Tropical Coconut, Suave Humectant or Jason Sea Kelp for this. (I don't know if this has an effect on my air-drying--I do this to make combing my hair easier.) I let it a drip-dry a little (still wet enough to make comb-out easy), apply a leave-in spray (I like Grandma's Secret Recipe Leave-In Spray and ION Anti-Frizz), apply a mixture of ORS Twist & Lock Gel and S-Curl Spray (THANK YOU ADRIENNE!!), comb my hair into my ponytail and tie my hair down reeeeeeeal flat. If it's not flat when it's drying it will be poufy when you take your hair down. I tie my scarf so tight, it leaves a dent in my forehead! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I let it dry for an hour or two and then I apply an oily moisturizer like WGO or CRS Sheep Sorrell Ointment, smooth it back into the ponytail with 1-2 pumps of S-Curl Spray, tie it back down and let it dry completely. When it's completely dry I smooth on a little pomade for shine. I like CRS Hair Rejuvenator and Natural Island Pomade.

Does this method give you same effect as you would get if you used heat(i.e straightness and shine)

Not for me. It looks kinda wavy when it's dry. (Which is what I want.) For a smoother look I need a flat iron.

how long(hours) does it take for hair to dry when using this method.

I'm not sure. After applying the Sheep Sorrell Ointment, I tie it back down and go to bed.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Once they are all done, I smooth each ponytail around my head as though I were wrapping it, but I don't use a comb. I apply WGO to each as I need it during the smoothing. I make sure that the very ends of each ponytail are tucked under and secure them with bobby pins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooooo!! This sounds good! When my hair is longer I'm going to try this!

beana3

not trying to deter you from using this method, but just make sure you dont have ANY severe problems with tangling. I HAD very bad tangling issues to the point where i just didn't want to comb my hair anymore. I used this method as a way to not deal with my hair and i ended up with a mess!
I have many textures on my head 3c/ and 4a/b mostly just so you know. I toyed with the idea of transitioning, but decided that I wanted long hair for the summer and may do it later on in life! Anyways, my hair was very hard to handle b/c of the difference in textures, I had much newgrowth which shrunk wehn i used this and the relaxed hair was str8er, but matted as well.
basically this method did not work for my hair AT ALL, I rec that you give it a try just to be sure. I made my mistake thinking that I was doing something wrong everytime and tried it repeatedly to no avail.
The only way i've had succes airdrying is in 3 or 4 braids OR the twist out method, other than that I blow dry or roller set.

AZJeepgurl

<font color="red"> I do when I'm too lazy to roll my hair and sit under the dryer which is most of the time! </font>

<font color="red"> I now apply s-curl, KMS straightening balm and apply my oil concoction (jojoba, olive, rosemary, almond and sage) to my ends</font>

3. Does this method give you same effect as you would get if you used heat(i.e straightness and shine)
<font color="red"> It's not the same effect for me as opposed to blow drying which I never do. But it's a lot healthier. The shine is definitely there though. </font>

4.how long(hours) does it take for hair to dry when using this method. <font color="red"> It really depends how you do it. If you take the ponytail out after the outer layer dries (approx. 1.5-2 hours with my thick 4a hair). then you can let the rest airdry in about 2-3 hours. But if I leave the ponytail in for the entire time, it may take till the next morning. Word of caution with this method: I wouldn't do it too often because of the stress to the edges and Please, please make sure it is not too tight or your edges will definitely suffer hair loss. Hasn't really happened to me but I definitely see the potential of such a drastic effect</font>

Good luck, Kiddo! Try it for yourself and adjust the procedure to your liking!

Tammi
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

aikaa71

Thank you all for sharing your tips. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think what i will be doing for now are roller sets and air dry. I will try the ponytail when my hair gets longer.

Julia

Quick and easy to do, especially when I will not be going out for the day.

Deep conditioning, Cold water cuticle seal. Pantene leave in conditioner,
anti frizz serum, Infusium (only a small amount), small amount of oil.
Part hair in 4 sections. Put four sections into pony tail. Use large grey rollers to
roll the ends. (1 or 2 each pony tail depending on length of hair)

Definately. Hair comes out straight, bouncy, shiney snd healthy looking.

4.how long(hours) does it take for hair to dry when using this method.

If I do in the pm (approx. 5) it is dry by 8:00 am the next morn.

any suggestions for other methods that do not involve heat are welcome