what a stylist told my sister..

candibaby

Alright, both me and my sister used to go to the same scissor happy stylist, whom both of us have stopped going to. She went to some other lady Friday and got a perm and a style. The lady was telling my sister about how our old stylist wasn't doing a good job with her hair because she had a lot of dead ends, she showed her the difference between healthy ends and dead ends, which was good, but then she said: "I don't want to brag or nothing but I've been told that i have GROWING HANDS."

That didn't sound right to me.. but my sister told me that most of the ladies' hair she did was long, and that the stylist had pretty long hair herself. But anyway, let me get to the point. She told my sister that a combination of a product called LIV (white jar, red top) and a product called SUPER GRO (white jar, gold top) would help my sister's hair grow thicker and a good length in a few months. So I went with my sister to the BSS. We couldn't find the SUPER GRO, but we found the LIV and when I looked at the ingredient list, the first two named were Mineral Oil and Petrolatum. Now the stylist told her to use it on her scalp and her ends, but doesn't mineral oil and petrolatum clog the pores in your scalp, slowing down growth, not promoting it? I'm asking because I don't want to give my sister any false information, so any assistance you ladies could provide would be very much appreciated!

dannie

Heck no. Nothing with mineral oil or petrolum listed first will help your hair grow, point blank period. It just the product coating the hair shaft and preventing it from drying out. You can use oils (jojoba or nexxus botanical oil) and get the same effect. If you've ever heard of Wanakee's regime of oiling the ends you'll know exactly what Iam referring to.

candibaby

Thanks Dannie, and I've never heard of Wanakee's regime of oiling the ends, do you have a link to it or something? That's exactly what I thought. I would probably use them to protect my ends, but not on my scalp. I just want to be sure before I tell her to go against what that lady told her.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
what other ingredients did the stuff had? There are several things that have mineral oil and petroleum in it anyway...

alliyah4eva203

you should avoid products with petroleum and mineral oil. especially this one. ingredients are usually listed in the order of how much is actually in the proudct. the fact that mineral oil and petroleum are the first two ingredients show that the product contains this the most.
i would'nt buy it if i were you

Tracy

I also don't put anything on my scalp, but the idea that nothing with petroleum or mineral oil will grow your hair out is overstating the point a bit. If there are other ingredients (like sulfur, like peppermint, like cinnamon) that stimulate the scalp, it may well be that the extra stimulation in te scalp area could cause an increase in growth. I don't know if that's true of this "LIV" but it's possible at least.

I also don't agree with the stylists approach, but you can indeed use products that contain petroleum and mineral and not only will they not necessarily HINDER growth, there may well be OTHER ingredients in that product that can facilitate faster growth.

If there's one thing I've learned about haircare its that there is no such thing as an absolute save a few very discreet nono's and they usually deal with chemicals - not product ingredients (like leaving a relaxer on for 2 hours or applying it repeatedly over relaxed ends).

hotshot

i remember reading an album where someone swore by liv. it might be a natural head. do a search- its definitely famililar. hth.

blue_flower

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
I put a petrolatum product on my ends only, never on my scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only put petroleum products on my ends too.

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I also don't put anything on my scalp, but the idea that nothing with petroleum or mineral oil will grow your hair out is overstating the point a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I think its okay if used in moderation. I definately think if it contains stimulating ingredients it can generate growth.

GoingBack

[ QUOTE ]
hotshot said:
i remember reading an album where someone swore by liv. it might be a natural head. do a search- its definitely famililar. hth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a search, but to no avail. I kept finding words like "live" and "olive".

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
My cousin loves Liv. She has been using it from scalp to ends for several decades. She is natural now (in the 3 category), but she used it when she was relaxed and wave nouveau'd. Her hair has never been shorter than a few inches above bra strap.

I just can't get past the greasiness.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
kitty18 said:
Does anyone have a picture of the Super Gro jar?

[/ QUOTE ]

African Royale? I'm not sure... That's all I can think of that comes in a white jar with a gold top. Is this a sign that I spend too much time in the bss?

GoingBack

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
[ QUOTE ]
kitty18 said:
Does anyone have a picture of the Super Gro jar?

[/ QUOTE ]

African Royale? I'm not sure... That's all I can think of that comes in a white jar with a gold top. Is this a sign that I spend too much time in the bss?

[/ QUOTE ]

Candibaby, is this the one??

DragonPearl

Nay uses Liv on her hair, and she has long, beautiful, healthy hair. However, I don't know if she uses it on her scalp too.

ChasingBliss

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
Wanakee's Regime--
http://www.hairoil.com/hairguides.htm

A "real life" application of Wanakee's regime with cheaper products--
Yvette

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHHH the Yvette post...
. Definitely what started it all for me. So glad I came across it last June. My whole hair life changed behind that post...Thank you to whomever posted again last year

Aerie17

I like Liv and use it from time to time, usually after I moisturize my hair at night. I use it to seal in the moisture and also to smooth my hair down and give it nice sheen for my ponytail when my hair seems to need a little more control and shine. I don't put anything on my scalp except Surge. I am relaxed.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyLemonDrop said:
[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
Wanakee's Regime--
http://www.hairoil.com/hairguides.htm

A "real life" application of Wanakee's regime with cheaper products--
Yvette

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHHH the Yvette post...
. Definitely what started it all for me. So glad I came across it last June. My whole hair life changed behind that post...Thank you to whomever posted again last year

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, the Yvette post really inspired me when I read it last year.

aprilbiz

My Granny was a beautician and used Liv on the ends of her hair when she rolled it at night. She had color treated and relaxed hair past her shoulders and it was always very soft.

I used to use it with good experiences. It is thick and creamy. I only use it on my ends and maybe run just a little of it through my hair and massage my scalp with my fingertips. I keep forgetting to get some of it.

Now if you're talking about B&B SuperGro...yes it does work. It has sulphur in it.

Sometimes it pays to back to tried and true products.