Do You Choose NOT to Wear Weaves, Wigs or Extensions?

Sianna

First of all, this thread is not meant to cause any form of controversy!! I just want to make that clear right off!

Okay, I often read through different threads here and as I am still fairly new to this forum, I guess I am just a little surprised that a forum which is dedicated to long healthy hair seems to have so many members who wear weaves, wigs and hair extensions. I realize that some of you ladies were them as a protective style, and a change of pace, I just find it a little... surprising.

I guess, having had short hair all my life and often wearing weaves the occasional wig, half wigs and extensions, I had always believed the point of them was to mimic a length of hair you simply do not already have yourself.

At any rate, I have essentially sworn off all forms of fake hair, be it a wig, weave or even braid extensions. I have done this not only because I want to get to know my own hair on as intimate a level as possible, but also because of the attitude I had when I wore weaves and wigs. I was of the opinion that as long as I could buy hair, I would never be without it. Because of that, my attitude toward my own hair was really bad and I did not treat it very nicely. Now that I am learning better, more healthy hair care practices, I have opted not to wear weave because I just do not want to revisit the ignorance and foolish attitude I once held in regards to my own hair. Plus, I feel that I have gleaned all that I can from the "weave experience." Now I need to learn to deal with and care for my own hair. :)

Again, this post is not meant to spark any negatively toward women who do choose to wear weaves and wigs, I was just wondering how many of us have opted not to do so and why. Please share your thoughts. :yep:

Last edited:

wish4length

I made it a point to never wear micro braids after 2007.
I don't wear weave. Nothing big, I just choose not to wear it. My hair is THICK so adding hair looks pretty crazy IMO....

I do wear an extention(afro puff) whenever I baggy

sensi sweetie

I have never worn fake hair.
IMHO fake hair is like wearing blue colored contacts. I know would feel like sh*t every time someone complimented me on them, because I know they are not really mine. Same way with hair. I don't want someone complimenting my fake hair, I want someone complimenting something that is truly apart of me.

Obviously this is just my opinion, there is nothing wrong with choosing to wear wigs and weaves. I know some ladies have alotta fun with them :)

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I don't wear anything extra.

I wore a wig - once. It looked exactly like my own hair, no one could tell the difference, this was when my hair began to come out due to alopecia. I felt so self-conscious, I just couldn't take it - plus, I still had a lot of hair underneath and the wig was just tiiiiight on my head, lol. I was like, how do women, deal?!?

I have tried to 'psyche' myself into wearing weaves as protective styles or a change of pace, but I just know i'll feel that people are staring at me and i won't feel comfortable. If i felt comfortable with it, then it would be okay. But i just don't.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i feel comfortable with what i have. i always thought i had never worn a weave, but that embarrassing wig stories thread made a repressed memory come to light. i didn't wear that by choice though. never wanted to rock some other chicks hair. i never felt i had to because i already had my own long hair. (i know not every weave wearer rocks fake stuff because they have no hair of their own, so please don't start foaming at the mouth)

anyway, i'm comfortable i guess with my short hair now. i don't feel i need to cover it up with other folks hair, protection or not. as many times as i tried to psych myself into getting kinky twist extensions or micros when i was transitioning, i just couldn't. don't want the weave. ♥

SweetSpirit86

When I was growing up, I had never even heard of a weave til my late middle school early hs years, and even then never had one. After going natural last year, I have worn a couple of wigs - one my fiance HATED, and one he still didn't like but could deal with because it actually matched me. He hates wigs/weaves, and I'm not fond of them either...though wigs are easier to deal with because they can be removed and I can access my head. I had tree braids for the past two weeks and when I got them, intended to use them as a PS for a few months - it was my first time getting them. I can't stand those either, lol. My head itched (I think I may be allergic to synthetic hair T_T), and I couldn't get to my scalp the way I wanted to because of the interweaving without making it look a H.A.M. I also had all those white bulbs on my hairline from shed hairs from the cornrows, which was always my pet peeve about individual braids. I have to fight myself to keep from taking my hair down the moment I see them.

After this last spiel, I'm convinced that weaves, wigs, extensions, certain (many) braids are just not for me. I ordered my Maxiglide this morning and will be trying straightening that way to reduce the ssk's and whatnot without having to tie my hair up all the danged time while natural. It's no fun to have all this hair and constantly hide it.

SimpleKomplexity

Every summer and Christmas since I've been a member of this board I put my hair up in braids or a sew-in. I don't like the appearance of weave, but it gives me time to not focus on it so much and allow my hair to grow.

When it's not up, I struggle with taking care of it. I want to keep my hands in it. I want to always style it. I want to cut it. So, keeping it up let's me retain the length with no effort at all, and not get sick of dealing with my hair all the time.

Your Cheeziness

I don't wear weaves anymore simply because I'm not gluing it in (like I used to) and I'd simply miss my hair too much if I got a sew in. I love braids, but my edges don't feel the same way so I don't them anymore.

Weaves are a style choice and women wear them for many different reasons that are all their own. Since I've been on my hair thang, I don't look at them as "people who wear weaves must not have hair". I look at them as "this chick's length retention is about to be on point!" It's the best protective style when cared for properly.

NikkiGirl

I have never worn any type of weave or wig in my life. I really don't see a need for it at all. I also think it is weird and another expense I don't need. JMO. I hate to say it but I think wigs and weaves contribute to other cultures thinking we can't have long hair. But to each her own, I see some ladies do wigs/weaves very well. They are just not for me and never have been.

PJaye

I've never worn wigs or weaves because I would feel like one of the Supremes while wearing them; braided styles have never appealed to me either. Plus, it's difficult for me to wear any type of head gear, such as hats and headbands, so I know that having any of those hair accessories would prove to be very problematic.

Still, I harbor no judgments towards those that chose to augment themselves using these hair accessories.

Sianna

I don't wear anything extra.

I wore a wig - once. It looked exactly like my own hair, no one could tell the difference, this was when my hair began to come out due to alopecia. I felt so self-conscious, I just couldn't take it - plus, I still had a lot of hair underneath and the wig was just tiiiiight on my head, lol. I was like, how do women, deal?!?

I have tried to 'psyche' myself into wearing weaves as protective styles or a change of pace, but I just know i'll feel that people are staring at me and i won't feel comfortable. If i felt comfortable with it, then it would be okay. But i just don't.

I don't really wear anything extra anymore either. I did the weave thing for YEARS though. I never really did the fake nails or anything else, just the weave. Now that I've given that up, I'm pretty much an all natural girl! :grin:

Oh, and this is OT, but I wanted to ask how you managed to deal with your alopecia? Were you able to get your hair to grow back? If so, how did you do it? Just curious. :)

Tiye

First of all, this thread is not meant to cause any form of controversy!! I just want to make that clear right off!

Okay, I often read through different threads here and as I am still fairly new to this forum, I guess I am just a little surprised that a forum which is dedicated to long healthy hair seems to have so many members who wear weaves, wigs and hair extensions. I realize that some of you ladies were them as a protective style, and a change of pace, I just find it a little... surprising.

Why? This is a forum about hair. Hair extensions are form of fashion accessories and if you are into hair, then there's a good chance that you might like accessorizing it. Hair extensions are an age old practice in Africa. They made beautiful wigs in ancient Egypt. My grandmother was never seen without her wig outside the house and she had long wirey hair (her own - only pressed never permed) till the day she died.

I guess, having had short hair all my life and often wearing weaves the occasional wig, half wigs and extensions, I had always believed the point of them was to mimic a length of hair you simply do not already have yourself.

There are so many reasons that people wear wigs. Don't forget that many people wear wigs and weaves because of hair loss and that can happen to anyone. You can't help it if you get ill or have to take meds that cause your hair to come out and you can't control female (or male) pattern baldness. Some people want extra length - nothing wrong with that anymore than wearing high heels ... is wrong - unless you don't approve of that either. And some people just like switching up looks - and sometimes their wigs and weaves are actually shorter than their own hair.

At any rate, I have essentially sworn off all forms of fake hair, be it a wig, weave or even braid extensions. I have done this not only because I want to get to know my own hair on as intimate a level as possible, but also because of the attitude I had when I wore weaves and wigs. I was of the opinion that as long as I could buy hair, I would never be without it. Because of that, my attitude toward my own hair was really bad and I did not treat it very nicely. Now that I am learning better, more healthy hair care practices, I have opted not to wear weave because I just do not want to revisit the ignorance and foolish attitude I once held in regards to my own hair. Plus, I feel that I have gleaned all that I can from the "weave experience." Now I need to learn to deal with and care for my own hair. :)

Again, this post is not meant to spark any negatively toward women who do choose to wear weaves and wigs, I was just wondering how many of us have opted not to do so and why. Please share your thoughts. :yep:

No offense taken. All of us travel different paths with this hair stuff and if this is your time to get to know and appreciate your own hair that's a good thing. My story is different - I've been living with my own hair, mostly in it's natural state for most of my life. I never really wore a wig or had a weave till recently. I did do braid extensions for a while and I've had locks. But I started to feel like I was ready for a different look and using extension hair is so much easier than having to put a bunch of chemicals in my own hair ... so that's what I'm into for now and I like it.

westNDNbeauty

I don't wear weaves but Ediese is a prime example why I would!:grin:

Her sew-ins are the business and it was all about protective styling. Her hair is now a replica of what her weave looked like (i.e. - length)

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
i dont wear fake hair, but i might go back to my afro puff one day for a protective style. im not for it or against it. but i am against blonde/straight hair on african american women, that just looks funny. IMO

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
No offense intended but I think weaves look cheap mainly because most of them are waaaaaay obvious.

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
I swore off weave about three years ago. I was at the point where I didn't even remember what my hair really looked like. I would get one weave taken out and a new one in the same day. This went on for years. I finally decided to get used to my own hair and learn how to take care of it. Best decision yet! I look at my old picture and wonder what the heck I was thinking! To each her own but it's just not for me anymore.

SelfStyled

I think the difference on hair boards compared to real life....is that women really are using wigs,weaves or whatever as protective styles rather than crutches. In real life I definitely see people misusing/abusing fake hair. To each their own, I respect all healthy hair journeys- but for me half wigs are an excellent protective style. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not ashamed of my hair in the least- in fact I adore my healthy SL hair.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I think the difference on hair boards compared to real life....is that women really are using wigs,weaves or whatever as protective styles rather than crutches. In real life I definitely see people misusing/abusing fake hair. To each their own, I respect all healthy hair journeys- but for me half wigs are an excellent protective style. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not ashamed of my hair in the least- in fact I adore my healthy SL hair.

This is so true....

lovelexi

I dont like the idea of wearing weaves, extensions and wigs because it is not my hair. Also I've heard to many horror stories of people losing hair from weaves, I dont want to chance it. I don't like the look of braids, twists or anything else all that extra hair just doesnt feel right.

QueenNefi

Sianna, you asked a fair question.

Tiye you summed up what I wanted to say and much of what I was thinking.

Wish4length, you have great hair. I need to check out your blog for tips.

Sianna

Why? This is a forum about hair. Hair extensions are form of fashion accessories and if you are into hair, then there's a good chance that you might like accessorizing it. Hair extensions are an age old practice in Africa. They made beautiful wigs in ancient Egypt. My grandmother was never seen without her wig outside the house and she had long wirey hair (her own - only pressed never permed) till the day she died.

I guess because of my own thoughts about weave and wigs. Everyone that I knew that wore them, myself included had short hair and some of us had, on top of that, a strong belief that we couldn't have long hair unless we bought it. I had always felt that I wouldn't bother to waste money on hair if I had my own. *shrugs*

There are so many reasons that people wear wigs. Don't forget that many people wear wigs and weaves because of hair loss and that can happen to anyone. You can't help it if you get ill or have to take meds that cause your hair to come out and you can't control female (or male) pattern baldness. Some people want extra length - nothing wrong with that anymore than wearing high heels ... is wrong - unless you don't approve of that either. And some people just like switching up looks - and sometimes their wigs and weaves are actually shorter than their own hair.

This is very true and I suppose I had not considered this aspect of the matter. Again, my relationship with weaves and wigs was not of this nature so I suppose that is the reason I failed to consider it, especially the part about wearing a weave that was shorter than one's natural hair. For me that would have meant wearing a wig that looked like a fade! Do they even make those? :lachen::lachen::lachen:

No offense taken. All of us travel different paths with this hair stuff and if this is your time to get to know and appreciate your own hair that's a good thing. My story is different - I've been living with my own hair, mostly in it's natural state for most of my life. I never really wore a wig or had a weave till recently. I did do braid extensions for a while and I've had locks. But I started to feel like I was ready for a different look and using extension hair is so much easier than having to put a bunch of chemicals in my own hair ... so that's what I'm into for now and I like it.

Looks like we basically stitched sides! :grin: During my thirty one years of life, I'm sure I spent more of those years wearing weaves than not. I started at a fairly young age after all. Now, I just feel that it's time to develop a different attitude and relationship with my own hair. There must be a reason it wasn't growing/retaining length all those years, ya know. :yep:

ETA: I'm just adding this because my response is in the quote and I can't submit a reply unless I write something here. :look::grin:

Last edited:

4evershika

before I joined the hair boards, I was the person who had NEVER worn a weave or extensions (other than braids). Now that I've learned about PSing, I DO use half-wigs as a PS. I think Self Styled hit the nail on the head. There IS a difference between how some women wear extensions and DON'T CARE about the hair underneath while others wear extensions to PROTECT their hair under the weave.

I think that "to each her own" applies heavily here. Of course ppl can (and HAVE) grown to great lengths w/o using weaves but like someone else said, weaves (especially) can be a GREAT PS when done/maintained correctly.

steffiejoe

There was a time in my life when I would never dream of wearing a half wig or extensions. I just liked wearing my own hair.
Once I started my natural hair journey that all changed. I would rather wear a half wig or braids then to subject my hair to weekly flat ironing and over manipulation. My fine strands just can not take it. I am still learning to style my hair in its natural state. I have realized that wash n go's, and braid/twist outs all lead to excessive ssk. Which I can not stand. Once I discover the ssk I have to cut them or pull them out. No matter what I have tried , the ssk appeared; resulting in no length retention.
Wearing my hair braided under the half wigs and wearing braids have helped to reduce my ssk. This has helped with increasing my retention. I realize if I want to retain my length and reach my hair goals I must incorporate these protective styles.

Thinking back to when I was a small child I remember my mother wore afro wigs. One day I watched her wash, detangle and press her hair with a pressing comb on the stove and her hair was waist length. She hated her long hair and said it made her look like a witch. The next day she was back to wearing her afro wigs.

Remembering my moms growth and seeing the progress of so many ladies who wear protective styles has more then proven to me that they help with retention. I have so much more retention with these protective styles.

So , for as long as it takes to reach my goals they will be a part of my healthy hair regimen.

DarkChyld

I wear weaves and wigs to protect my hair from me. I've been known to over style and abuse the flat iron, hot comb, and blow dryer. I got a weave in 2008 and my hair grew so much because my hands weren't in it. Prior to getting weaves, I was getting roller sets and my hair pressed every two weeks. I swore I would never go back to braids in 2005. I wore them for two years when my hair was about 3 inches all around so I definitely do not miss them. To each their own. I just know that I'm my hair's biggest enemy.

Janet'

I can count on one hand the amount of times I have had fake hair in my head (including for micro-braids, cornrows, or a weave ponytail). I have always had at least SL hair and so before finding hair boards, the idea of wearing a wig or weave was associated with 1. someone who was sick/losing hair 2. someone who could not grow his/her own hair 3. someone who did not know how to care for his/her own hair and preferred an "easier" fix...Now that I have come here and I see the Nichi's and Ediese's, my horizons have been expanded, but I would never use them as a ps- even though I can appreciate weaves and wigs a lot more than before.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I've got no problem with weaves or wigs. I wear one when I want a different look, when I'm bored or when I am protective styling. And also, I know many women who's hair is actually longer than the weaves/wigs they wear. Its just another accessory/decoration. I don't knock people for wearing purses, handbags, polish, acrylic nails, pumps or perfume--and hair is the same for me.

As a sidenote--its so nice when the weave or wig actually matches and suits the person wearing it...So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't have an aversion to weaves in general---just bad ones.:yep:

NaturalPath

I have only worn artificial hair (aka kinky twists) once in my life and never again! It was either my texture of hair or a faulty braider that caused a few of the braids to fall out within weeks; the braids didnt last more than a month.

I have also worn a half wig once, but after several months...never again! Too hot and too heavy..not to mention it coming off while on a bus at UNI :ohwell:

I have never had a sewn in weave

I believe my hair is just too fine for all that extra mess.

CofCGrad1997

I've also never worn a weave or a wig. I think I would feel very self conscious in it because it's not my own hair, so I don't think it's for me. I also wonder how healthy it is for your hair because of the different ways you have to put them in (glue, right?).

I have never worn braids just because it's not a look I like.