Water-Based Moisturizers = Dry Hair???

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
This is an interesting thread. Could it be that products with mostly oil (or 100% oil or butters) are best after washing because you already have water in your hair?
Maybe these water moisturizers are really made (esp. in the case of "black" hair procuts) to be used daily in between shampoos, since many black women still don't wash their hair more than 2x a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Point. When I was relaxed many years ago, I'd use Pink Oil Lotion but I eventually stopped b/c it made my hair dry. At some point, I switched to using Aveda Anti-Humectant Pomade as my only moisturizer. It seemed to work as far as I could tell!

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
I think that if you already have your hair oiled well before using any of the water based products it would help them work better, or add oil to the product

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking the same thing, too.
I had posted yesterday how badly my daughters' hair came out so this morning I mixed a tiny bit of UBH and a lot of castor oil. It worked a bit better. So maybe the key (especially for natural hair) when using a water based moisturizer is to add more oils so the ratio will be more oil than water. I dunno.......just brainstorming

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
ATLwavylocks said:
How coincidental to find this thread! I just got through washing and combing out my 2 daughters hair.......the total process took 3 hours!!! It was just sooooo dry and hard to comb. It's never been like that and I had been using the Elasta Mango on their hair and alternating with UBH moisturizer (which has water as the first ingredient, too). I applied UBH and their hair still never felt moisturized. In fact, both heads dried frizzy.

I'm kind of disappointed because I surely thought I had found a holy grail product with the QP mango butter.

[/ QUOTE ] I realized this about the Mango Butter too, i even did a post about it

but you asked if I use it with oil before, have you tried that? i did , seems to help some

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what, Iris, you're right.....I'm such a PJ I forget what I use, what I mix up, what works and what doesn't....I'm losing it. Yes, now I remember mixing the castor with the QP and it didn't seem to dry out the hair. I moved on from the QP to try other things (avocado, mango butter, etc.) and when I came back to the QP I just mixed it with UBH. I had forgotten all about the castor and QP.
See....that's what happens when you're busy trying to keep 3 heads of hair healthy.

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
ATLwavylocks said:
How coincidental to find this thread! I just got through washing and combing out my 2 daughters hair.......the total process took 3 hours!!! It was just sooooo dry and hard to comb. It's never been like that and I had been using the Elasta Mango on their hair and alternating with UBH moisturizer (which has water as the first ingredient, too). I applied UBH and their hair still never felt moisturized. In fact, both heads dried frizzy.

I'm kind of disappointed because I surely thought I had found a holy grail product with the QP mango butter.

[/ QUOTE ] btw I think there is something in the Mango Butter causing the dryness/hardess, either the silk protien or possibly like someone said the squalene (sp)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, so even after mixing with oil, my girls hair MAY still eventually dry out cause of the squalene and/or protein. Thanks for the info!

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I just read this bit of info from ubhpublications website:

"Some time back I found out All Ways formula has changed! When they changed the bottle, they changed the formula. I am in the process of updating the website and making comments in every instance that I no longer use this product because it no longer contains water as the first ingredient! A requirement for moisturizing black hair!"

Hmm, I guess that's not true for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairlove,

Have you tried the Allways since their formulation changed? It may be a moisturizer that will work on your hair.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
ATLwavylocks said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
I think that if you already have your hair oiled well before using any of the water based products it would help them work better, or add oil to the product

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking the same thing, too.
I had posted yesterday how badly my daughters' hair came out so this morning I mixed a tiny bit of UBH and a lot of castor oil. It worked a bit better. So maybe the key (especially for natural hair) when using a water based moisturizer is to add more oils so the ratio will be more oil than water. I dunno.......just brainstorming

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with you! This is my plan in order to use up my water-based moisturizers. Very insightful!

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
ATLwavylocks said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I just read this bit of info from ubhpublications website:

"Some time back I found out All Ways formula has changed! When they changed the bottle, they changed the formula. I am in the process of updating the website and making comments in every instance that I no longer use this product because it no longer contains water as the first ingredient! A requirement for moisturizing black hair!"

Hmm, I guess that's not true for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairlove,

Have you tried the Allways since their formulation changed? It may be a moisturizer that will work on your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't tried that product but I can't find Allways products in my area.

candibaby

i've noticed that, the oil moisturizer i used to use (pantene r&n) has water as the first ingredient. i always wondered why it never did much of anything for my hair.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:
i've noticed that, the oil moisturizer i used to use (pantene r&n) has water as the first ingredient. i always wondered why it never did much of anything for my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember using that product once. Then I held on to it and when I saw mineral oil was at the top of the list, that convinced me throw it away though I'm sure it was a combo of both - too much water and then the mineral oil. I did not like it at all.

kedra70

Hairlove,

I noticed how dry my hair was the day after using it - I only experienced dryness after I used the Elasta QP. My hairdresser has always warned me about water-based products. She used that knowledge along with the fact that it was the only 'new' product that I'd added to my regimen since the last time I came in for a relaxer.

I stopped using the Mango Butter in February - my hair has been soft ever since.

Hope this helps,
Kedra

Lisa

Thanks for the information ladies. I just did a roller set on Saturday and I was wondering why my hair looked so dry and fly away on Sunday. I used the Mango Butter as a leave in. When I wash my hair tomorrow I will try another roller set without the Butter and use a little oil instead and see how it works out.