Water-Based Moisturizers = Dry Hair???

inthepink

Does anyone sometimes feel like water-based moisturizers make their hair dry? I am referring to products like Pink Lotion, ORS Olive Oil Lotion, QP Mango Butter where water is the first or second ingredient? I feel like when I use products like this, the softening/moisture is only temporary.

Maybe it's just me...I wonder if I should just stick to oil-based moisturizers. Anyone else notice this?

CheerBear

YES!!!!! I thought it was just me....I really have to be careful with water based products and make sure I dont use alot or use my oils with it to not have frizzy dry hair

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I'm actually noticing this as I transition and my hair is growing in. When I was relaxed they were great. The only one I can use sometimes is Care Free care Gold.

A_Christian

As much as I love the rest of the Kera Care products I noticed something similar with the Kera Care Oil Moisturizer with Jojoba. It seemed to make my hair hard and crunchy. Even if I used only a small amount. I don't have a bottle on hand so I'm not sure if water is the first ingredient, but I'm almost positive that it is. It also has a similar consistency to that of the ORS Olive Oil Lotion if I'm remembering correctly. I guess my hair just doesn't like oil moisturizers/lotions.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
A_Christian said:
As much as I love the rest of the Kera Care products I noticed something similar with the Kera Care Oil Moisturizer with Jojoba. It seemed to make my hair hard and crunchy. Even if I used only a small amount. I don't have a bottle on hand so I'm not sure if water is the first ingredient, but I'm almost positive that it is. It also has a similar consistency to that of the ORS Olive Oil Lotion if I'm remembering correctly. I guess my hair just doesn't like oil moisturizers/lotions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever used other moisturizers that are more oil-based like CD Hair Milk? Water is like the 6th ingredient and I know this keeps my hair moisturized and shiny a lot longer.

A_Christian

Not yet, but I'm saving up to order a lot of the Carol's Daughter products, especially the Healthy Hair Butter and Hair Milk! I've been wanting to try those for a long time.

Gmaimai

Yeah, dark and lovely leave in conditioner does not do much for me, it is too watery. I thionk that cheaper product tend to be watery, too.

How coincidental to find this thread! I just got through washing and combing out my 2 daughters hair.......the total process took 3 hours!!! It was just sooooo dry and hard to comb. It's never been like that and I had been using the Elasta Mango on their hair and alternating with UBH moisturizer (which has water as the first ingredient, too). I applied UBH and their hair still never felt moisturized. In fact, both heads dried frizzy.

I'm kind of disappointed because I surely thought I had found a holy grail product with the QP mango butter.

kitchen_tician

Oil Lotions don't work for me either. I never bothered to read the ingredients. I just figured it was all oil lotions, until I used Carol Daughter's Hair Milk. The Hair Milk works nicely, but I only use it on my wet hair while it air drys. The UBH conditioner doesn't work on my hair at all.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
ATLwavylocks said:
How coincidental to find this thread! I just got through washing and combing out my 2 daughters hair.......the total process took 3 hours!!! It was just sooooo dry and hard to comb. It's never been like that and I had been using the Elasta Mango on their hair and alternating with UBH moisturizer (which has water as the first ingredient, too). I applied UBH and their hair still never felt moisturized. In fact, both heads dried frizzy.

I'm kind of disappointed because I surely thought I had found a holy grail product with the QP mango butter.

[/ QUOTE ] I realized this about the Mango Butter too, i even did a post about it

but you asked if I use it with oil before, have you tried that? i did , seems to help some

Irresistible

I think that if you already have your hair oiled well before using any of the water based products it would help them work better, or add oil to the product

babyblue

Your not the only one. I never have any luck with "oil moisturizers" and Ive tried nearly every brand. They feel good going on but a few hours later the hair is dry again and you feel the need to keep reapplying. My hair stays moisturized longer when adding oils, butters, and glycerine based products to damp hair.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
ATLwavylocks said:

[/ QUOTE ] btw I think there is something in the Mango Butter causing the dryness/hardess, either the silk protien or possibly like someone said the squalene (sp)

TigerLily

elasta qp mango butter and ORS olive oil lotion work fine on my hair when I have it straightened makes it nice and soft. Motions moisturiziing lotion on the other hand will make my hair rebel, instatnly!!

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
Oil Lotions don't work for me either. I never bothered to read the ingredients. I just figured it was all oil lotions, until I used Carol Daughter's Hair Milk. The Hair Milk works nicely, but I only use it on my wet hair while it air drys. The UBH conditioner doesn't work on my hair at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I was referring to WATER-based moisturizers not working for me and oil-based moisturizers working. I actually think my hair like Hair Milk b/c it is oil-based. So when my hair dries, it's still silky and moisturized whereas with ORS Olive Oil or QP Mango butter, it's moisturized at first, but then dull/dry after it dries

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
I think that if you already have your hair oiled well before using any of the water based products it would help them work better, or add oil to the product

[/ QUOTE ]

I did exactly this today. I took part of my ORS Olive Oil and then added some Coconut Oil to it. I am hoping this will help me use up the product and at least determine if that will work for me - as simple as adding oils. Hmm - I'm wondering if you were on to something with your "Butters and Oils Only" thread...My hair also loves pure shea butter.

inthepink

I just read this bit of info from ubhpublications website:

"Some time back I found out All Ways formula has changed! When they changed the bottle, they changed the formula. I am in the process of updating the website and making comments in every instance that I no longer use this product because it no longer contains water as the first ingredient! A requirement for moisturizing black hair!"

Hmm, I guess that's not true for me...

kitchen_tician

O I C Hairlove. I didn't know that Carol's Daughter Hair Milk was oil based. Based on the labeling, most other oil moisturizers are actually water based. The manufacturers need to label them as "water" moisturizers instead of "oil" moisturizers.
Let us know how the coconut oil mix works for you.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
O I C Hairlove. I didn't know that Carol's Daughter Hair Milk was oil based. Based on the labeling, most other oil moisturizers are actually water based. The manufacturers need to label them as "water" moisturizers instead of "oil" moisturizers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kitchen - I don't know if "oil-based" and "water-based" is a term the industry uses. I just used it to explain...
Basically, by water-based, I meant product with water as the first or second ingredient. Hair Milk has water as like the 5th or 6th ingredient so it seems more oil makes up the mixture than water, thus - oil-based, in my opinion.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I lump them all in the same category: oil moisturizer.

I define these as commercial products with a mix of oil and water. They never seem to have enough water or even if water is the first ingredient, the quantity or type of oil overrides any benefit my hair could have received from the water. They just don't work well enough for me.

I'm able to make my own moisturizers now that I know how much water and oil my hair actually needs.

inthepink

SVT - do you notice a difference based on how much water is in the product or how much oil? Or are you saying that your hair tends to like ones with more water and less oil vs. more oil and less water?

Ayeshia

If it worked on my hair it worked. I never took a look at the ingredients to see what was listed first. Ill do this next time i shop for a new moisturizer

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
SVT - do you notice a difference based on how much water is in the product or how much oil? Or are you saying that your hair tends to like ones with more water and less oil vs. more oil and less water?

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair likes lots of water and some oil. Those commercial oil moisturizers tend to make my natural hair feel more greasy than soft or moisturized.

They might be okay if I were pressing my hair. In that case, I would use them on damp hair, then airdry or blow dry on cold then press. That's how I would use my olive, castor and avocado oils if I were pressing my hair.

inthepink

SVT - what kind of moisturizers do you make for yourself?

I really think my hair likes Hair Milk (more oil, less water) but really dislikes the drugstore brands like ORS Olive Oil that even though it says "oil" has more water than oil. I wish I could find a replacement so I'm curious as to what you use.

kedra70

Hairlove,

My hairdresser and I both figured out that the Elasta QP mango butter was making my hair dry. I now use a combination of Avocado Oil and Aveda's anti-humectant pomade. I've also had excellent results from using Biosilk's Silk Therapy (it dries a lot of folk's hair out but not mine, go figure!).

Kedra

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
SVT - what kind of moisturizers do you make for yourself?

I really think my hair likes Hair Milk (more oil, less water) but really dislikes the drugstore brands like ORS Olive Oil that even though it says "oil" has more water than oil. I wish I could find a replacement so I'm curious as to what you use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I condition wash everyday and apply my oil (if I feel my hair needs it) as a final step before styling my damp hair. I mix water and conditioner into my small spray bottle and spray my hair throughout the day as needed. Sometimes I might use water by itself.

I've never mixed oil into my spray bottle because the amount I apply after washing is enough.

UmSumayyah

This is an interesting thread. Could it be that products with mostly oil (or 100% oil or butters) are best after washing because you already have water in your hair?
Maybe these water moisturizers are really made (esp. in the case of "black" hair products) to be used daily in between shampoos, since many black women still don't wash their hair more than 2x a month.