Waist Length, now what?

LoveLiLi

I think you should take a look at the products you use to maintain your straight hair, as suggested by another poster. Sabino Moisture Block is my favorite serum and keeps my hair from reverting most of the time; it very rarely lets me down.

Also, check your technique. If I blow dry my hair then it will not be straight once I flat iron it. This holds true whether I have my hair done at the salon or do it myself. If I air dry before flat ironing then I have soft, shiny results that last until the next time I wash my hair.

Do you need a trim or need to do a S&D? My flat-ironed hair reverts quickly when I have split ends.

Enyo

OP, I feel ya feel ya feel ya. I've grown to waist length a few times, and really I wore my hair in a bun 99.5% of the time. I got into a bun rut, and yes I almost couldn't stand having my hair out for more than a day or two every few months.

Oh and wash days became such a chore that I would dread it and go weeks without washing & conditioning. So, I did something I'd been talking about doing. I got it cut into a bob. The bob is super cute, but oh my, how I can't stand the maintenance. So...I'm growing my hair back out, but (never say never) I don't believe I want waist length hair ever again. I think a nice SL or BSL length will be ideal for me.

I can absolutely relate.

Supergirl That's exactly how I feel. I hit WL in 2013 (see album), but fell into the same trap as you down to the inability to wear our hair out more than a few days a month. It was fun saying that I have WL hair, but I'm even MBL is a little too much. My ideal is to have healthy hair somewhere between there and BSL.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Supergirl That's exactly how I feel. I hit WL in 2013 (see album), but fell into the same trap as you down to the inability to wear our hair out more than a few days a month. It was fun saying that I have WL hair, but I'm even MBL is a little too much. My ideal is to have healthy hair somewhere between there and BSL.

Thanks Enyo

I know it sounds so weird to people for us not to be ga ga over our waist length hair. :lol:
I mean it was fun getting there, and I'm glad to have had the experience but it's time for something different!

Carrie A

Don't know your age so this advice may not be for you, but I've been playing with up-doo's - some vintage styles. They are creative and fun but of course your hair is not blowing in the wind.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Try buns, goddess twists, braids & updos with hair sticks....the possibilities are endless.

Figure 8/infinity buns, waterfall &herringbone braids look fantastic on afro textured hair.

On youtube check out rusticbeauty, sera2544, whoissugar, naptural85 & longhairdontcare 2011 (RIP)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Now you can learn how to wear your hair. Perhaps go on a no-weave challenge. That's basically what I did, even when it got hard I stuck to it. Now I know how to wear my hair w/o getting stuck in styles that don't work w/my natural texture. Even my presses work for me; but it took time to learn my texture to get there.
Hey @virtuenow ! I see your hair is much longer in your avatar. Your hair has really grown since the last time I've seen it. Did you still blowdry your hair after each wash? What was your regimen for growing it out? I'm still over here stuck at APL/BSB.

virtuenow

Hey @virtuenow ! I see your hair is much longer in your avatar. Your hair has really grown since the last time I've seen it. Did you still blowdry your hair after each wash? What was your regimen for growing it out? I'm still over here stuck at APL/BSB.
Hi there @Poohbear nice to see ya :waves: I did a big post a couple of months ago. If you look at my "threads started", I explain it all there. Not sure how to link thread on my phone- otherwise I would. I stopped blow drying around the time of my Komaza hair analysis. I started a whole new heat-free regimen.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hi there @Poohbear nice to see ya :waves: I did a big post a couple of months ago. If you look at my "threads started", I explain it all there. Not sure how to link thread on my phone- otherwise I would. I stopped blow drying around the time of my Komaza hair analysis. I started a whole new heat-free regimen.
Thanks @virtuenow. I'll check out your thread. I've been kinda MIA here.

toaster

OP You got some excellent advice.

The first time I grew my hair to hip length I only wore it in a bun and I had no idea how to style it. I ended up getting frustrated and cutting it off. This growth journey I made sure to style my hair as it grew. I experimented with roller sets and now I do a twist out every week. There were definitely growing pains and as I look back on some styles I cringe, but like with everything else, it gets easier/better with time.

Good luck!