Veterans- 4+ Years HHJ: Where Are You Now?

When did you start your healthy hair journey?

• < 2000

Votes: 11 6.3%

Votes: 1 0.6%

Votes: 3 1.7%

Votes: 5 2.9%

Votes: 9 5.2%

Votes: 14 8.0%

Votes: 36 20.7%

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • other

Votes: 62 35.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manter26

LOL did it start going bad? Or do you just not like the LTR smell?

It says raspberry, but it's always smelled like that. It's not drying so it doesn't hurt to stick with it...just mad I bought the huge bottle of something I've never tried. Lesson learned.

newbeginnings2010

I was originally wishin4bsl, join date July 2006.

What year did you start and what was your starting length?
start date was the end of 2005, joined LHCF in 2006, a little past NL

What's your current length?

BSB

What major changes you went through during your journey (relaxed-> natural or natural -> bkt or relaxed, etc...)

I transitioned to fully texlaxed around 2008, almost transitioned to natural for 6 months and just decided to start relaxing every 5-6 months instead of the original every 6 weeks

Any major haircuts?

No, just major obsession with trimming my own hair

Setbacks?

YES! I had an unknown stylist relaxed my hair and do this weird shampooing method (putting the ends of my hair between her palms and RUBBING the life out of them!) and my ends just crumpled out in tiny bits. My right side was about 3 inches longer than the left.

Have you reached your goal?

Not yet. I just discovered the secret that everyone else knew...KISS and CONSISTENCY. No challenge or bandwagon jumping for me!

gabulldawg

Can't believe I'm considered a veteran. :lol: Since the poll is already closed I have to answer in my post. I started my hair journey in May 2007 :blush:. I was shoulder length with thin and see through ends. :ohwell: Since then I have cut my hair to a pixie cut (March 2009ish). Right now I'm very close to APL. I wonder how long my hair would be now if I never cut it. :scratchch :lol:

SEMO

2005. I started off a bit past shoulder length.

What's your current length?
I think I'm close to hip length (siggy pic is not current). But I need to straighten my hair to be sure.

What major changes you went through during your journey (relaxed-> natural or natural -> bkt or relaxed, etc...)
I started off relaxed, then transitioned to natural.

Any major haircuts?
Yes, two. Each one taking off at least 5-7 inches.

Setbacks?
Yes. The aforementioned haircuts were supposed to be trims. I self-trim now.

Yes. My original goal was bra strap length and I hit that target years ago. I don't have a new length goal, but my overall goal is to thicken up my hair (esp. the edges).

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Just read this entire thread! great input, Ladies!

What year did you start and what was your starting length? Jan 2007; chewed up neck length; bonelaxed

What's your current length? Grazing BSL

Pregnancies ruined my hair...... 2007-2009, thinned my hair, made my edges fall out, loosened my texture (but thank God for the children! LOL......just jokes. I love 'em.)

Transition from bonelaxed to texlaxed ......2007-2008

Transitioning from texlaxed to natural---2011 to Current. I am 19 months post relaxer as of Feb 2013

Any major haircuts? 2007 about two to three inches of bonelaxed hair. Cut from collar bone to full shoulder

2010 cut off 3-4 inches of damaged thin ends. Cut from APL to collarbone

Setbacks?
Bonelaxing my hair for years caused me to have weak hair that wouldn't retain length.

Using a growth aide while in a weave caused matting, tangling Etc. This was my worst setback and it ruined 3 years of hard work on my hair.

Have you reached your goal? Nope. My ultimate goal is full waist length. But I want to grow to hip length and then cut it.

Fav products and techniques ----

Products
Hairveda conditioners- Strinillah, MoisturePro, Moisture 24/7, Red Tea and Acai Phyto Berry
and I also love her Busy Izzie moisturizer.

Aphogee two step treatment

Kinky Curly Knot Today

Modified kimmaytube leave in

Rosé water and glycerin spritz

Olive oil

Hot six oil

Almond oil

Silk amino acids

Elasta QP anti breakage serum

Honey

V05 clarifying conditioners

Chicoro's Aloe Vera hair gel

Techniques
Deep prepooing on dry hair at least twice a week with heat for 20 minutes or without for at least an hour or two

Making my own hair concoctions

Mixing silk aminos into my conditioners

Conditioner washing and minimal use of shampoo and sulfates

Using regular conditioners as leave in

Using more natural/organic products.

Minimizing use of heat and chemicals and hiding my hair has really changed my hair

Protective styling - wigs, weaves, buns

Sleeping in silk scarf

lolascurls

I started in July 2008 at Shoulder length.

What's your current length? Mid-back to waist length. Note: I chopped in August 2012 at Hip length hair so the chart is about right!

I went from bone-straight relaxed to texlaxed then fully natural (transitioned for 32 months!)

Any major haircuts? Only the transition chop at the beginning of August 2012.

Setbacks? None, thankfully!

My goals kept changing, APL then BSL, then WL then Hip length. Now aiming for Tailbone length Natural. Amen!