Do you think most women would pick short relaxed over long natural?

Most women with afro textured hair would rather be...

• Relaxed with hair that doesn't grow past shoulder length

Votes: 43 22.5%
  • Natural, with 4b textured hair that grow to waist length

Votes: 148 77.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LovelyNaps26

Despite the burgeoning natural hair movement, the majority of women still relax their hair. When I was relaxed much of the focus was on getting the hair as long as possible. I've been wondering recently whether texture trumps length or vice versa and if women with afro textured hair would rather be relaxed with short hair or natural with long hair. So what do you think:

Do you think most women would choose having a healthy looking head of relaxed hair with a terminal length of shoulder length or be natural with waist length hair of 4b texture*?

If you are relaxed (and maybe have contemplated transitioning) would your decision to relax change if you were guaranteed to reach waist length in 3 years as a natural?

*I specified 4b hair texture b/c as we know, the coiliest texture in unfortunately given the side eye by some. ** FYI, I'm a card carrying member of the 4a/4b crew so there is no hidden agenda. Just needed to get that out there.

Last edited:

nikolite

I think texture trumps length. Most women would pick long 4B hair. I don't think people necessarily think that 4B hair is bad in some way, I think a lot only think its bad because it looks like it can't or won't grow. So if it was long, I don't think anyone would be calling that "bad hair" anymore.

On the flip side, if straight hair was always breaking and never grew past shoulder length, that'd be the new "bad hair." People'd be putting some chemical in their hair to make it kink up so it would grow, LOL.

4B hair is beautiful anyhow. It can have much more styles than 1 or 2 hair and I'd rock a chunky fro or comb coils all the time if I was 4B.

iri9109

i'm natural but when i was transitioning i didnt really know what my hair texture would be like because i couldnt really tell with the relaxed ends still on, but i actually expected mostly 4a or 4b hair because thats what i remember from my childhood...but the main reason i went natural was to have long hair again so of course i would take 4b hair if it came with length...and i think if i had 4b hair i would probably be able to do more protective styles to help with length retention like twists that dont unravel almost immediately...plus if i had a desire for straight hair or a looser texture (which i dont think i would), then i would just heat train and/or wear weaves/wigs.

frida1980

Considering how lazy many women are, I already know they'd pick the familiar devil rather than the one they don't know.

Natural hair is a lot of work. If you've never had it, it's a big transition. Most mothers can't handle it, so they put chemicals in their toddler's hair to make it easier. Most women balk at my natural hair where I live. I have tough skin, so I don't let it get to me. But let's face, most women just aren't willing to put in the work for something like this. They'd rather buy a $6 box of creamy crack and settle with something easy and acceptable.

iri9109

oh & my post was just my personal choice, but i do think most women IRL would take the shoulder length relaxed hair. to alot of ppl off the boards shoulder length is long anyways, and probably the #1 reason relaxed women say they wont go natural is related to the texture they think its going to be, so i dont think they would stick to what they know and are comfortable with.

NinasLongAmbition

I think most women at least I THINK they would pick long 4a/4b hair due to the fact women like length and even if they dont like the texture they would flat iron the ish out of their hair.

lovegymnasts

Considering how lazy many women are, I already know they'd pick the familiar devil rather than the one they don't know.

Natural hair is a lot of work. If you've never had it, it's a big transition. Most mothers can't handle it, so they put chemicals in their toddler's hair to make it easier. Most women balk at my natural hair where I live. I have tough skin, so I don't let it get to me. But let's face, most women just aren't willing to put in the work for something like this. They'd rather buy a $6 box of creamy crack and settle with something easy and acceptable.

I completely agree with you.
I used to receive unsolicitated references to this effect...
Natural hair is too much work, too much of a bother, too difficult, and their hair is too rough and nappy. They would rather keep the relaxed hair they have than try wearing their hair without chemicals.
They were amazed that I do not have any difficulties. They want longer hair but if it means going natural then :nono:.
I just smiled and kept it moving.

sunnieb

I think most women IRL would take the SL healthy relaxed hair simply because it's familiar, it looks good to them, and they don't know anything about taking proper care of natural hair.

As for me, being guaranteed WL natural hair in 3 years is not a good enough reason to transition right now. My relaxed hair is growing just fine and I absolutely love it. I do plan to transition one day (I want to see what I would look like being totally natural), but not before I reach at least WL fully relaxed and rock that for a few years. :yep:

nikolite

I don't know... It would be so much easier to me to put my hair in box braids and a huge swirly bun for a month than to have to deal with relaxed short hair everyday. I also assume that a 4B that has gotten to waistlength has learned how to take care of her hair and its less trouble.

I think people only think natural hair is trouble because they have yet to learn how to deal with it. But we ALL know how to do a roller wrap and press with a flat iron and some hair grease somehow. That's been passed down for generations.

Sianna

A big part of why I went natural was the pursuit of longer healthier hair!

I picked long natural hair, but I think maybe I chose that because that's MY preference.

IRL, I really don't know. I think lots of women would opt for the longer hair, but then again I also think there are many who wouldn't be caught dead without their creamy crack.

And honestly, I even think that many of the ones that'd choose long natural hair would eventually go back to the crack. :ohwell:

Not me though! :grin:

frida1980

I don't know... It would be so much easier to me to put my hair in box braids and a huge swirly bun for a month than to have to deal with relaxed short hair everyday. I also assume that a 4B that has gotten to waistlength has learned how to take care of her hair and its less trouble.

I think people only think natural hair is trouble because they have yet to learn how to deal with it. But we ALL know how to do a roller wrap and press with a flat iron and some hair grease somehow. That's been passed down for generations.

That's because your used to it. For someone that isn't, it's a big change. Most women only deal with 1" of natural hair. And that response it not to comb it and let the hair dresser stick it in some huge stiff style for a week, so they don't have to deal with it. It's really different if you have SL natural hair for the first time in your life and you have do something with it. I think for first time women, it's painful and time consuming. Not to mention because their not used to it, they lose a lot of hair. Trying to bun it, or put it in ornate styles without having some practice or basics will lose you edges and length in a hurry. Wash and go's can dry out your hair. Then dealing with constant detangling, breakage, SSK, women realize that you're hair won't magically reach WL. Some women see their natural texture, and it's not as loose as they want it. After the novelty wears off, women often get frustrated and start relaxing again. I suppose it was a fad to them.

Most women here will live in the same country, state, and city they were born in. Most people around them will not go natural. Most salons know nothing about natural hair. And information on the internet is limited and not nearly as informative as a mother or grandmother versed in natural hair. To suddenly tell a woman to detangle six inches of their own hair is a big change. Watching something like "Nappy-a$$ hair" on youtube lets me know exactly how most BW will act. They'll want to stick with something simple and acceptable.

Most women just do basic wraps with some cheap product and forget their hair even exist. Relaxed hair is easier for women, because they don't really care about it and aren't willing to put in more work to make it grow. They don't like scarfs, relax it too frequently, and use what ever makes their hair lay down. And for that, their hair looks like crap. It's not just the natural state that gets to them, it's the extra work it would take to make it long and healthy. There are quite a few women here with long relaxed hair. The difference is, most women are just lazy...

Most women are rocking short relaxed hair (sorry, SL is not long hair. It's medium-length.) Your question is answered on a daily basis. I'd rather have long, natural hair. I chose to transition back to natural because I wanted healthier hair. My hair was thinning and breaking because of chemical damage. I hated it and put the usage to an end. Yes, I knew natural hair would take work. Anything that's worth having takes work. But, it was my choice.

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I think on this board most will say long 4b hair, but irl, most women would pick sl relaxed. Most have this (or shorter) anyway. To most, 4b hair is not cute, sexy, stylish, whatever so most BW don't want it. Not to mention it would probably be straightened to death with heat so it would take extra time to gain length. And even though it wasn't stated in the OP, I'm assuming the hair has to STAY natural along with the length. A lot of woman wouldn't do that either, just wait to wsl and then back to the relaxer they go.

EllePixie

I agree with those who have said that IRL women would pick relaxed, and on the hair boards they'd pick natural.

EllePixie

I think most women at least I THINK they would pick long 4a/4b hair due to the fact women like length and even if they dont like the texture they would flat iron the ish out of their hair.

You would be surprised...I've heard a lot of women talk about how they prefer relaxed hair even over a press because relaxed hair won't revert or frizz out as easily and many women can't press their own natural hair.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I AM UNDECIDED.

I don't have an issue with natural texture OR relaxed hair. to me it's just hair, a style, a choice....it's whatever works for you.

for me, i exercise alot and the upkeep of hair in general is annoying to me sometimes. that's why i weave it up or wear a wig to hide my hair and not be bothered sometimes with styling.

i get tired of always looking like a tomboy because i exercise almost daily. the wigs and weaves help me have some style instead of always being in a sweatty ponytail.

i do prefer to wear my hair straight, so the harder it is for me to straighten, the more annoyed i am. :lol: (i am currently texlaxed)

sooooooo.......

i would love to have waistlength hair.

i would also love to not have to work to straighten my hair or deal with reversion.

i don't chastize anyone for wanting a relaxer. i also give props to ladies who like to rock their natural texture.

i am totally undecided:spinning:

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Not me, I would honestly prefer the long natural hair.

I was natural for almost 2 years when I decided to relax again. I relaxed again because I did not know how to care for my hair in the fall/winter.

I was registered on LHCF but did not come here often because I thought it was for long hair ONLY. I frequented another site, that site IMO did not help so I relaxed. Once I relaxed I came here and been here for the most part since then.

Sometimes I regret relaxing, especially when I see my DD's hair growing very nicely, but hey I am going to stick out my relaxed hair and see where it takes me.

I do intend on going Natural again.

Last edited:

SimJam

I think most women irl would pick sl relaxed hair but I would choose long natural hair

I answered the question using myself, forgetting that Im not mainstream.

I rlly do believe that most women would choose short relaxed hair and probably cut it into a cute style.

on the other hand, many ladies say that the reason they dont want to go natural is the "short hair" phase

so who knows

kittikat24

I think most women would prefer natural, long 4b hair.
I know ladies who don't "cut" their hair, but its short because of the lack of hair care knowledge. If they were guaranteed long healthy hair, most would jump at the chance.
But because relaxing is familiar and "normal/easy" some would rather not try anything different, especially if they don't have support...

PerplexingComplex

I would choose short & relaxed and I think the majority would as well, unless it's locs. Most women don't want wl hair in the first place.

RossBoss

I don't know. A lot of Black women covet long hair, so they would probably do the Diana Ross lioness mane look with the natural hair or press it. Me personally, I prefer both. I just cut my MBL hair to a little above shoulder length because I just didn't think I looked my best with long straight hair. If my hair was long and natural, it would be more poofy and bouffant so that would look better than long and straight.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I think most black women would choose shoulder length relaxed hair. For most people I think that the texture is the problem and not the length. We still have too many negative stereotypes about nappy hair in the black community. Nappy hair is bad, unkempt, ugly and dirty. Nope, don't see it happening captain.

nysister

I just love my type 4 hair, so I'd pick Type 4 TWA over a Halle Berry cut as cute as I think it is.

It's so much more comfortable to me. Dare I say I'm in love with it!

And waist length natural! That's a beautiful thought.

LovelyNaps26

I think alot of women relax because it appeaes more socially acceptable. However a women who had waistlength hair would likely be the envy of her relaxed friends. I guess I assume that women really desire length and if it meant having to wear it naturall w/the option of occassionally straightening it they would pick it. Some women associate natural hair with looking homely which doesnt have to be.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Last edited:

Evolving78

i'm surprised at the poll results. i think a lot women are voting on a personal note. because in reality, a lot folks on this very board had long 4b hair and their mothers slapped a relaxer on it. now they are trying very thing in their power to get it back. IRL, just look around you and you will see that folks will chose short relaxed hair any day over natural hair.

Tiye

I would choose short & relaxed and I think the majority would as well, unless it's locs. Most women don't want wl hair in the first place.

I agree. I'm a fan of wigs and weaves so I don't think in terms of absolutes when it comes to hair. I've tried most styles and lengths except for super long which isn't my personal preference. I would never wear it down anyway which would defeat the purpose of having it - and I'd get bored. I'm undecided about the relaxer. I'm the type of person if I decide I want to relax for a particular style I'll do it with the knowledge that if I get tired of it I'll just cut it off.

I think alot o tv women relax because it appeaes more socially acceptable. However a women who had waistlength hair would likely bw the envy of her relaxed friends. I guess I assume that women rwally desire length amd it meant having to wear it naturall w/the option of occassionally straightening it the would pick it. Some women asspciat natural hair with looking homely which doesnt have to be.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Long Hair Care Forum App

True. Short to medium length, well trimmed and tapered is considered professional. Long, curly, or bushy is more of an artsy, bohemian look - it's nice for some people, but it doesn't suit everyone. You can admire or compliment someone's hair without envying it.

JJamiah

Or maybe they like it. Natural isn't everyones preference and has nothing to do with Easy or Acceptable :look: