Using a Children's Strength No-Lye Relaxer

msjones

Apparently I have a super sensitive scalp b/c I used Optimum's Lye Relaxer (mild) and I still have scabs from the burns. Regular relaxers make my hair too straight. Would anyone recommend using a Children's No-Lye Relaxer to texlax? Right now my hair is about 75% straight (i think I have hair type 4a).

I'm trying to re-grow my hair out. It was below shoulder length before, but from the neck down, it was stringy/not healthy. Right now its above my chin. Any relaxer help/recommendations would be WONDERFUL!

Sorry if this isnt the way you're supposed to post. I'm new to this!!! :p

HoneyDew

Girl, those "Kiddie" relaxers will get your hair bone straight if you let 'em.

They are no different - they just have cute little girls on the box.

You might want to try some of the sensitive scalp relaxers out there.

My cousin uses Gentle Treatment No Lye and she has a sensitive scalp.

All Lye relaxers burn me up!! I use Profectiv Super and my hair and scalp love it!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
HoneyDew said:
I use Profectiv Super and my hair and scalp love it!

...and you have the GORGEOUS hair to prove it!:eek:

Don't use those kiddie perms, msjones! They don't do you any favors... ;)

Welcome to the board, by the way! :kiss:

msjones

HoneyDew said:

All Lye relaxers burn me up!! I use Profectiv Super and my hair and scalp love it!

I think I tried the Profectiv relaxer and forgot all about it. That's the one w/ the mouse neutralizing shampoo? If so I really liked that you didnt have to SCRUB your hair to get it out. Does that relaxer come in mild do you know? You DO have gorgeous hair btw.:p

Divine_Order

HoneyDew said:

Co-signing. I use Just for Me (for about 3 years). I started using it because I thought it would be more gentle...but a relaxer is a relaxer.I stuck with it because I don't like switching chemicals like that (although I have thought about it on more than one occassion) One thing that JFM has that I like is a protective coating that you put on the ends of the hair that have already been relaxed (so it helps avoid over-processing).

HoneyDew

Thanks ladies! I'm trying :lol:

Here is my official review of all the Profectiv kits. (Yes I have used them all :sekret:)

The original regular is very mild on the scalp, but if you smooth long enough you WILL GET IT BONE STRAIGHT!

I am not a good smoother so I use the Super kit. I don't smooth much with it and I get texlaxed hair. I smooth my edges more to get them straighter.

The New "new growth" kit they have is stronger in my opinion. I used that bad boy and was like :eek: It straightens too FAST for me!! I tried the super, though. The regular may not be as bad.

The "professional" kit does not come with shampoo sometimes (they often will include it as a free gift, but I have seen it WITHOUT the poo :nono: ). But, although they say this is not true (yes I emailed them :lol: ), the professional kit is milder. It does not get my hair straight with the same smoothing and time length with the regular kit. The box does say for those with sensitive scalps so that one may actually be a good choice.

The Color kits are cool. I used the Black, but the color did not last that long. Besides I am not that into concentrating on color when I am trying the neutralize (the color is the Neutralizing mousse). But, now that they sell the color mousse alone, I may try it again on a regular day.

HoneyDew

Divine_Order said:
Co-signing. I use Just for Me (for about 3 years). I started using it because I thought it would be more gentle...but a relaxer is a relaxer.I stuck with it because I don't like switching chemicals like that (although I have thought about it on more than one occassion) One thing that JFM has that I like is a protective coating that you put on the ends of the hair that have already been relaxed (so it helps avoid over-processing).

I like that about that kit, too.

I need to a bottle of something like that.