Ugh! Does ANYONE out there have long naturally thin hair?

sheba1

I have fine hair also. I was looking at a few pictures the other day that showed how much fuller my hair looked (straight) when I henna'd. Check it out.

This is last September. I hadn't done a henna in a very long time. A year maybe:

This is my hair months prior when I used to henna:

I remember Kinikakes! She is definitely my fine haired inspiration. She had very long and truly gorgeous hair. I think she used to henna very often... weekly, was it? I'm going to have to go find her reggie and pics link.

Here is her blog. Just lovely!

http://www.prissymommy.com/our_first_baby/2009/08/hair-updates.html

Last edited:

*CherryPie*

Another fine haired lady checking in.:yep:

I tell ya, it's not fun. :nono: I had to stop myself from looking at progress, and fotki pics from ladies with thick hair to keep myself from becoming disappointed in my own hair. My hair grows and retains length very well, but it's not thick......and I just had to come to terms with that, and be satisfied with what I have.:look:

UPDATE: My hair is not fine or thin. I'm natural now and my hair is thick and my strands are medium and very strong. So disregard my post above. My hair was relaxed the. I guess my relaxed hair was fine....or thin.:look:

Last edited:

Junebug D

That's going to be me when my hair gets long. :look: Not much you can do about it. I remember there was a member who posted before & after henna pics and the difference was quite amazing. So if I get bothered enough, I may try henna. But I like curly styles, and those help. And when it's straight I just wear all my hair over my shoulders in front; that disguises it a bit more than wearing it down the back.

sheba1

Another fine thin haired checking in. The longer it gets the thinner it appears. Bantu set or braid out helps me. I love love love straight hair, but I don't think I will ever be able to pull it off. As of now, I have just found some breakage in the middle underneath at the nape. I am a back sleeper. I have to be careful how I tie my hair at night or wear my hair ban for ponytails....breakage breakage equals even more see thru thin hair.

Your hair is AMAZING!!!! I've been looking everywhere for your reggie. Would you share please?

freecurl

So henna is the only way, huh? I am so reluctant to use Henna, but after reading Kinikates testimonial, I may have to try it. In the meantime, I will continue castor oil and protein treatments.

sheba1

So henna is the only way, huh? I am so reluctant to use Henna, but after reading Kinikates testimonial, I may have to try it. In the meantime, I will continue castor oil and protein treatments.

I think I'm going to try cassia next time around. Just to try to get the benefit while cutting down on the mess (hopefully).

Your hair is so pretty.

cutiebe2

You are not alone!!!

I have fine and thin hair...plus I think the for sure causes me more breakage than the average thick/coarse hair natural but such is life!

Crystalicequeen123

Another fine-textured gal signing in! :wave:

Fine hair just runs in my family. I think it's genetic. Plus, it's good to remember that African Americans (in general) have finer hair than most people of other races, so even though our hair in it's natural state may LOOK thick, it really isn't. :ohwell:

My fine hair used to annoy me to no end! But now days, I've learned to embrace it. :love2: As long as I know that my hair isn't thinning due to damage, diet, or too much heat/chemicals, then I'm okay. I just had to come to grips with the fact that my hair is fine-textured AND low in density, so there's not a lot of it.

Some things I've done to counteract my fine hair:
-I don't use heat on my hair often (maybe once or twice every 6 months)
-I'm currently transitioning to go natural so that my hair will at least APPEAR to be thicker
-I try to be gentle with my hair
-

My hair is really thin, see through when straight, one of the reasons I transitioned.

Unfortunately my natural hair when straighten looks exactly like my relaxed hair did, thin, thin, thin.It looks a lot better when it's curly or twistouts.

None of my parents had thin hair, nor do my siblings, I'm the only one in the family.

Same here. :yep:
Fine-textured hair is the MAIN reason why I started transitioning to go natural. That and the fact that my edges were practically disappearing! :shocked: I just had to come to grips with the fact that my hair is naturally fine! Even when my hair is SHORT it is STILL fine! :wallbash: I just got my hair 7month post hair straightened yesterday for the first time, and I'm telling you...my hair came out STRAIGHTER than it would when relaxed! It's SOO straight and thin. :ohwell: But, at least it has "bounce" lol.

There are some good things about finer hair:
-It's usually softer
-Your hair may have more of a bounce to it
-You don't have to use as much products to your hair, so you can save some money

glamazon386

I have fine hair too. Layers, feathers and curls make my hair look fuller. I also went natural thinking the relaxer made my hair thin. I thought going natural would make it thicker. It didn't. I discovered that my hair is just naturally thin. I get it from my dad and his family.

ETA: Also not straightening it completely makes it look thicker/fuller. My roots are rarely ever straight so that makes it look fuller too. I can never get my hair as straight as they do at the salon. It looks thin when they make it flat and straight. It looks better feathered/curled.

Last edited:

sheba1

I never thought my hair could look as full as I've learned it can here. My hair is fine but I'm finding as it gets healthier and longer, I can be so proud of it. I never would have thought that possible just a couple years ago.

My newest fine haired inspiration:

[video=youtube;kdHcIbz1CFA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdHcIbz1CFA&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;4lJR8yAIUv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lJR8yAIUv4&feature=channel[/video]

Last edited:

Salama

Wow. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side huh?:perplexed Here I was feeling dejected and frustrated with my overly-thick hair. Looking on the bright side of things, I think two advantages of having thin hair are that it's less intimidating/time consuming to self-style (not to mention easier) and that it's perfectly suited for twist/braid extensions Why? Bcos it doesn't take forever and a day to twist/braid, you don't have to spend a fortune on extensions and the finished look is svelte and neat not big and bulky.

sheba1

Wow. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side huh?:perplexed Here I was feeling dejected and frustrated with my overly-thick hair. Looking on the bright side of things, I think two advantages of having thin hair are that it's less intimidating/time consuming to self-style (not to mention easier) and that it's perfectly suited for twist/braid extensions Why? Bcos it doesn't take forever and a day to twist/braid, you don't have to spend a fortune on extensions and the finished look is svelte and neat not big and bulky.

I'll be honest, I love my hair. But it does not take any less time to style nor is it any easier. I have to be extra extra careful not to damage my hair and prevent breakage and single strand knots (thus the extra time). If I get extensions I get plenty of complaints from the stylist and I still have to pay more because of the length. Not to mention the stylist is often overly rough with my hair because my hair appears a lot fuller and thicker than it is because it's curly. And often because my hair appears to be so full they use too much extension hair anyway and it's still bulky. I once had a braider use 3 packs of human wet and wavy on my hair :nono: Not a good look....

All that being said, I still :love3: my hair! It's mine. I get to care for it and show it love and it rewards me in every way it can. No easier than anyone elses but still mine oh mine :yep:

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
I have fine hair, I have just finally learned to love my hair the way it is. I have also learned that this products works for, I keep my routine simple

Imani

Another fine haired lady checking in. My hair is not long tho (yet!). My hair is fairly dense but the strands are fine and very fragile. On top of being fine, my hair texture is very rough. So its kinda like thin pieces of straw and will snap off very easily.

I used to look at all these super thick haired ladies as my hair idols, but I finally realized that my hair is fine and will probably never look like theirs.

One benefit is that even being 4b/a, my hair straightens pretty easily. When I was relaxed I never had to use super strength relaxers or anything like that. And when transitioning, it was easy for me to achieve straight styles. I also don't foresee detangling sessions being too bad even as my hair gets longer as a natural.

Some things that help my hair look thicker are first off, healthy blunt ends. And not weighing the hair down with products and conditioners that are too heavy when straight.

glamazon386

I feel like its apples and oranges. To the bolded - not necessarily. Fine hair can require just as much styling time as thick hair because you have to be more careful with handling. Fine hair is more prone to breakage. Extensions for me have always cost the same as they would for the next person no matter the thickness or density of the hair. I don't know about that either. And fine haired ladies should be careful when choosing to wear extensions again because the hair is more fragile and prone to breakage. As far as it looking bulky, that has to do with the skill of the braider not the thickness or density of the hair. Fine hair is not easier to deal with. I honestly see no benefit to having fine hair. It requires extra care and attention, IMO. Somedays if the wind blows too hard and I hear/feel pieces of my hair snap. :nono:

BlaqBella

Henna did't give me a drastic change in color. Maybe bc I already had a slight red tint anyway (idk if the

color is genetics/chemical...a cousin of mine is my skin colr and she always had a slight red tint from a

child. I also think the fact that I do the oppposite of what the ladies who let the color release happen. I

put it on almost immediately after mixing. I Do have a much thicker ponytail/hair when the henna is

deposited in my strands regularly.Like twice a month for a while then maybe once a month. And btw

when i was a lurker I kept up w/ Kinikakes(sp?) here and her blog and if i remeber correctly she

stopped using henna but only because of the inconvenience.

@sheba1 i always thought you had beautiful hair.

Last edited:

Imani

I feel like its apples and oranges. To the bolded - not necessarily. Fine hair can require just as much styling time as thick hair because you have to be more careful with handling. Fine hair is more prone to breakage. Extensions for me have always cost the same as they would for the next person no matter the thickness or density of the hair. I don't know about that either. And fine haired ladies should be careful when choosing to wear extensions again because the hair is more fragile and prone to breakage. As far as it looking bulky, that has to do with the skill of the braider not the thickness or density of the hair. Fine hair is not easier to deal with. I honestly see no benefit to having fine hair. It requires extra care and attention, IMO. Somedays if the wind blows too hard and I hear/feel pieces of my hair snap. :nono:

Yeah, I have had times when my hair has snapped off just from touching it or fingercombing. Its also harder to deal with mistakes/setbacks. I'm almost all natural now, so its a little better, but when I was relaxed the smallest things could cause major setbacks. Like a conditioner making my hair hard or a shampoo drying out my hair. I would read reviews from thicker haired ladies about some horror hair story and all the stuff that went wrong and then u scroll down to the picture and their hair still looks perfectly healthy and thick.

kurlybella

fine hair natural checking in. when i press my hair out, it's even finer looking. healthy but fine. thank's grandma! :lol: but this is also just my personal perception because no one else notices it. i like my hatural hair much better not straight because the hair strand expands and it's thickish.

sheba1

Henna did't give me a drastic change in color. Maybe bc I already had a slight red tint anyway (idk if the

color is genetics/chemical...a cousin of mine is my skin colr and she always had a slight red tint from a

child. I also think the fact that I do the oppposite of what the ladies who let the color release happen. I

put it on almost immediately after mixing. I Do have a much thicker ponytail/hair when the henna is

deposited in my strands regularly.Like twice a month for a while then maybe once a month. And btw

when i was a lurker I kept up w/ Kinikakes(sp?) here and her blog and if i remeber correctly she

stopped using henna but only because of the inconvenience.

@sheba1 i always thought you had beautiful hair.

Awww thanks BlaqBella :blush3:

I apply my henna just like you (no wait for color release) and never get much of a color deposit from henna, either, just a nice shine and thickness. I've always wondered if cassia might be less messy to apply regularly. I think I'll experiment with that when I'm ready to wear my hair down.

Bettina

Fine Haired Natural -Signing in and Subbing!

I hate how flat my hair looks when I flat iron it to the tee. If I do flat iron my hair I wont use any leave-ins because it drastically weighs my hair down and leaves it looking a greasy mess even with the slightest touch of jojoba oil. I figured what works for me is keeping up with my protein---My hair loves it, and also using henna...I just used it after taking down my cornrows and my hair is thanking me for it. :)
I still have a lot to learn though....keep your suggestions rolling! :)

DarkChyld

fine hair natural checking in. when i press my hair out, it's even finer looking. healthy but fine. thank's grandma! :lol: but this is also just my personal perception because no one else notices it. i like my hatural hair much better not straight because the hair strand expands and it's thickish.
Wow. You sound like my hair twin, sorta. Mine looks extra fine with press, as well. That's why I prefer to wear it in weaves which work as a protective style and gives me my dream thickness when it's straight. My hair feels thicker when it's natural.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Fine and thin here also! I've always liked it though - walking outside and having my hair blowing in the wind. Since being on my hair journey I have not allowed any hair blowing as I'm PS'ing. But yes, now that I know better I see that it is so fragile - now I wonder how many hairs flew right off my head while I was out there allowing the wind to assault me!