BALDING THIN EDGES...Helpppppp meeee

amina kamal

Hello,
I am a newbie here on my journey to long hair. I have always had thin edges by my temples. These are always prone to shedding and baldness. The hair will grow back but its like its programmed to fall out at a certain length. I can't even pull my hair straight back in a pony because of how thin I am at the temples....helllppppppp

Has anyone with this problem tried an effective treatment that helps the hair grow back thicker and normal. If so, please help a sis out.

nomoweavesfome

honey, have you gone to a trichologist or dermatologist? The temple area is such a delicate area nad need much loving care. Certain styles that may contribute to that may have to cease if that is what you are doing. Some times these things are hereditary or just due to chemicals/styles or a combination.

The hair follicle may be damaged/ blocked or not strong enough to withstand a long life cycle. I suggest seeing a professional first to rule anything like that out. But there are many products out there that will help fill it up.

Theres ORS temple balm
theres Amla oil which I'm ordering today-it's an indian oil which promotes strong hair roots to prevent premature shedding.
there's other alternatives mentioned on the threads but I'm not sure you may be ready to apply those things like MTG and MN
There's also Surge
I hair of some follicle scrub thing that may work which I believe is made by ORS and you can always do your own massage/scrub

also are you taking vitamins? you need some vitamins to get your blood circulating and going to nice B-vitamins, horsetail, etc.

I pray everything will be fine in no time for you.

nychaelasymone

I had this problem. My dermatologist gave me perscription for a cortizone cream that I applied every night and every six weeks I get cortizone injections around my temples and nape. I can now proudly say, I have hair on and around my temples but I treat my hairline like silk now. I tried the temple creams and the MTG but what worked for me was actually the cortizone cream and the Amla Oil. I know every one is different but I HTHs

amina kamal

Thanks for your response. I thinks it a couple of things.
1. its hereditary, all of the women in my family have a similiar hairline.
2. it gets worse when I were braids and styles that cause tension
3. its chemicals- when I wore my hair natural I don't remember it being so thin.

I have been to a trichologist and she didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I am just starting out on vitamins and trying to the scalp massage. What is MN? I heard M-T-G works wonders for thickening up the hair.

mango387

I do not know if this is appropriate or not, but could you ask your stylist to apply relaxers to your edges last or towards the end of the relaxer application?

LadyJay114

do you brush your hair and pull it into a ponytail often? this is usually the cause of thin temples.

i use Nexxus biotin creme and it helps restore some of the growth.

amina kamal

Im always pulling my hair back. Its seems like for years I've been doing everything soooo WRONG!! I have been abusing my hair, no wonder its so brittle and lackluster. Thank the lord for this forum

Blu217

Hey there - I'm dealing with the same thing. Thin temples are hereditary in my family, and as we age they do get thinner. I started seeing a big change about a year ago, when I turned 33.

I'm seeing a derm now and am awaiting some test results for the problem, but I do think that not relaxing the area or applying stress with straight styles can only help. The follicles will do what they'll do unfortunately; my great aunt was completely natural her whole life but still thinned way back over time. I'm also applying black castor oil, which I hear can work miracles. Too early to tell yet.

Treat your edges with love, keep them moisturized and keep the faith.

I agree with BLU217. The relaxer can have something to do with it. I stretch my relaxers to anywhere from 4-6 months and my edges have gotten much thicker since I started doing this. Ponytails don't seem to bother my hair though.

Faith

amina kamal said:
Hello,
I am a newbie here on my journey to long hair. I have always had thin edges by my temples. These are always prone to shedding and baldness. The hair will grow back but its like its programmed to fall out at a certain length. I can't even pull my hair straight back in a pony because of how thin I am at the temples....helllppppppp

Has anyone with this problem tried an effective treatment that helps the hair grow back thicker and normal. If so, please help a sis out.
I always have this issue too when I am relaxed. I don't have a shedding/thinning problem when I am natural. Maybe relax the hairline LESS often. Vit E and liquid cortisone helps too.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Welcome

I had the same problem with my temples and my nape. Now I massage a bit of the light version of Sulfur 8 (light blue jar) on my temples every night, and I try not to play with the area too much. The Sulfur 8 has really helped.

I also have my stylist relax that section last. Although, next time, she is going to try using mild relaxer around my edges as regular in the middle because that worked on another client of hers.