Advantages of thin hair?

celiabug

I'm getting really discouraged because my hair is so thin.. its naturally thin by the way and I was wondering if there are any advantages anyone can think of having thin hair?

Pompous Blue

Is the volume of your hair thin or are your strands fine? What is the density of your hair?

My hair is fine with medium density. I love it!

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I don't have thin hair, my hair is really thick but I always imagine that if my hair was thinner:

It wouldn't take me 4-6 hours to style my hair.
Taking down a style wouldn't take me 6 hours or more like two nights ago :(
I could detangle my hair in the shower in under 15 minutes
I wouldn't have to set aside a whole day to do my hair or have to break it up into 2 days to keep my sanity.
This is all I can think of at the moment but there are more....

kandiekj100

It doesn't take me long to wash and detangle my hair. It doesn't take my hair long to airdry or dry underneath a dryer in rollers.

Sent from my Ally using Long Hair Care Forum App

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I have thin hair, but, with work its thickening up. BUT:

It dries quickly, detangles easily and never scares off stylists (LOL).

Natural Glow

I don't know if my hair is thin or just not dense but either way I used to hate it. I wanted hair like:

(the only reason I watched The Famous Jett Jackson, other than Lee Thompson Young's fine self
or

I don't know if they actually have thick hair or not but they had more than me. But like other people said, it does take less time to dry.

It also takes less time to rollerset and flat iron.
It's usually really easy to detangle
I'm guessing people with thick hair might use more product...I don't know.

That's all I've got lol. I still sometimes wish I had thicker hair.

freecurl

Your hair is appears beautiful to me, but I do understand your feelings about thin hair. Since I have been natural, my goal was always for "thickness", not necessarily "length". But as it grows more, it sometimes can be mistaken and/or manipulated to look thicker. Some advantages of fine hair (low density, fine strands) could be faster drying time and maybe easier detangling. However sometimes detangling could be even more of a problem because of the fine strands.:nono:
Hang in there though, I believe it may get easier as you experiment with more products/techniques.

Natural Glow

Your hair is appears beautiful to me, but I do understand your feelings about thin hair. Since I have been natural, my goal was always for "thickness", not necessarily "length". But as it grows more, it sometimes can be mistaken and/or manipulated to look thicker. Some advantages of fine hair (low density, fine strands) could be faster drying time and maybe easier detangling. However sometimes detangling could be even more of a problem because of the fine strands.:nono:
Hang in there though, I believe it may get easier as you experiment with more products/techniques.
OMG! You hair is sooo pretty. Is it not thick? It looks like it. I could use a hair tie meant for a baby and wrap it around my anorexic ponytail twice :nono: that is so not cute.

SimpleKomplexity

My hair dries in 45 minutes.

My hair is never hard to untangle...it hardly ever gets tangled

It doesn't use that much product

I can make it look fuller with rollersets so it's the best of both worlds

Liberianmami26

doesnt require a lot of sectioning for detangling or flatironing and that comes in handy when that hot water in the shower starts to get cold or your hands just get tired lol

octoberslibra

I used to call my hair thin also but, I think relaxing my hair is where I used to make my mistake. I decided about eight months ago, I was not relaxing my hair anymore after I noticed how thick my new growth was. Now as I transition, I'm certain my hair isn't thin it's FINE!!! Do you have a perm?....it's not the end of the world girl like myself you just have to find what works for you!!!~

jupitermoon

Thin hair is easier to style too. As already mentioned it requires less product, dries faster, and isn't as hard to detangle. I think buns look better on those with thinner, finer hair and you don't have to get extra large or extra long hair toys to hold your hair.

My hair is dense and my strands are thick. Sometimes styling it is absolutely frustrating. There are so many styles I would like to try but can't due to the thickness of my hair. Hair that's too thick is hard to put back and tends to look bulky.

Fine strands tend to feel so soft unlike my thick, "hard" feeling hair. Fine hair tends to have that silky feel. I see so many benefits of having thinner, finer hair.

celiabug

I used to call my hair thin also but, I think relaxing my hair is where I used to make my mistake. I decided about eight months ago, I was not relaxing my hair anymore after I noticed how thick my new growth was. Now as I transition, I'm certain my hair isn't thin it's FINE!!! Do you have a perm?....it's not the end of the world girl like myself you just have to find what works for you!!!~

I don't have a perm. I permed my hair one time when I was like 7 or 8 and it was a BIG mistake. My hair fell out like crazy!

faithVA

I think buns look better on those with thinner, finer hair and you don't have to get extra large or extra long hair toys to hold your hair.

My hair is dense and my strands are thick. Sometimes styling it is absolutely frustrating. There are so many styles I would like to try but can't due to the thickness of my hair. Hair that's too thick is hard to put back and tends to look bulky.

I agree. With thinner hair bunning has to be easier. I have really dense hair and not sure how I would get it into a bun without someone else holding it in place.

You also probably never break combs or brushes trying to get them through your hair. You probably rarely if every break your hair accessories when your hair just decides its going to bust loose. :lachen: I threw away two last night.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I've always wondered if people really want very thick hair. It comes with a lot of challenges on its own like:

-increased styling time
-more product
-stylist sometimes charge more...this would happen to me a lot when I was getting relaxers cuz they said they had to use a lot more
-hotter in the summertime
-easier to loose hair pins, accessories

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
I have thick hair WITH a relaxer, and I cannot tell you how many hair toys, tools and accessories I've broken over the years. Plus, I run through product like crazy, and rollersets stay tight for DAYS, which is why I won't do them. My hair also holds a lot of heat, so curly styles take a long time to fall, which can be annoying.

Enjoy what you have, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.