Ugh! Does ANYONE out there have long naturally thin hair?

celiabug

My hair has always been thin and i hate that about it. The circumference of my straight hair ponytail is around the size of a nickel :nono:. Both of my parents have thin hair so its all genetic not from damage.
when i look at everyone who has super pretty long hair i always think "my hair will never look like that its too thin".:sad:
im just wondering if there is anyone out there who has long (like past bsl) hair thats naturally thin but looks good??? i need some inspiration :ohwell:.

Nonie

While you wait for others with thin hair to chime in, just wanted to say that braidouts/twistouts can give hair a fuller look. My twists usually look so thin and sparse--which can be sorta like having thin hair--but if I do a braid-out on the twists, they sorta kinda look fuller.

Naturallista

I feel you....

I'm only at bsl now, but I'll let you know once I hit mb because I've been wondering the same thing myself. :ohwell:

charmtreese

Im only BSB but I have fine hair that is also thin in density. I've started to use shampoos and conditioners that give the stands a boost of volume. Currently Im using Joico body luxe and it helps some with making my hair appear thicker.

BlaqBella

Me too ladies. But there are things we can do for volume^^^.

styling tech. (like nonie said)
shampoo/cond^
henna

Last edited:

Tamster

So is this about fine hair or thin hair? Because I know that I have very thick hair, as in there is a lot of it, but I believe it is fine, because my twists look SO sad :nono:

janda

My hair is also thin and fine much to my dismay. My ponytails have always looked anorexic. When my hair was longer, I did mainly rollersets which gave my lots of body and the illusion of thicker hair. I've never tried henna but might look into it.

nikolite

I have fine hair, but I think of medium density. I used to wonder about whether thicker hair strands/density was necessary for long hair, since it seems those with thick hair have a lot more hair to work with when they experience breakage or damage. Also, those with coarse hair can take more and are less likely to break. I doubt it now.

Us fine/thin-haired ladies have it hard. But just the same as everyone else, its all about retention--we just have to learn how to properly retain our type of hair. Henna definitely helps make the hair look fuller (by coating and thickening each individual strand) and medium protein is now a must for me. My hair generally looks thicker and feels coarser/stronger now. For those with fine and porous hair, ACV or lemon rinses are also important to close the cuticles and help them lay flat, which protects the hair strand.

Those with coarse hair have to DC or baggy constantly, so they do have their own battles.

The right styles are important too. Twist-outs and braid-outs, rollersets, shrunken twists are all good and they're styles many thick-haired women can't pull off without it being too much, especially without a huge headache to deal with while detangling.

It will be even harder with relaxed hair though, but you should really get a hold on rollersets, pin/spiral curls and the like. My hair was extremely stringy and thin when I was relaxed, but it looks completely different (much fuller/thicker) as a flat-ironed natural. Still, back then rollersets and bumping did the trick.

Last edited:

ladylibra_30

I have fine and thin hair too. I've been thinking about going the henna route but I see too much conflicting info...so I'm still researching. In the meantime, I am stretching for 16 weeks between every retouch and I style my hair by doing rollersets/wraps. Oh, and have layers so that gives me some thickness.

discodumpling

Fine & thin hair checking in! The longer my hair gets the thinner it seems. I've made my peace with my skinny plaits & twists though...it is what it is. I don't spend time trying to fix the "problem"...i'm just happy to have healthy growing hurrr!

Nina_deF

My hair is really thin, see through when straight, one of the reasons I transitioned.

Unfortunately my natural hair when straighten looks exactly like my relaxed hair did, thin, thin, thin.
It looks a lot better when it's curly or twistouts.

None of my parents had thin hair, nor do my siblings, I'm the only one in the family.

dlewis

My daughter has long thin hair. She's texlaxed so that helps. She wants to go natural. As soon as she's able to care for her own hair we'll to the bc.

mkd

Fine and thin haired lady checking in. The longer my hair gets, the thinner it looks. I think I will maintain at BSL because I don't care for the way my hair looks longer.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

My hair is naturally thin too, I just try to keep as much thickness as possible by DC, protein treatment, henna treatment and not using heat. My ponytails are not as thin as yours but I like my air dried ponytails better.

Britt

As others have mentioned, try styles that make the hair appear thicker, braid outs, twist outs, lots of curls.. basically anything other than sleek straight hair. Thin hair sometimes needs more protein also and can be sensitive to moisture overload. Also, maybe volumizing products might help some w/ appearance. You don't want anything that will further weigh down your strands. My gf has really fine and thin hair, and even w/ short relaxed hair her hair looks best when it's in a short tapered style, if it begins to grow to her neck it looks really thin, she went natural and rocks a twa and her hair still looks really fine and sparse. That's just her genetics.

freecurl

Fine and thin haired natural checking in.

I went natural because I thought my hair would miraculously get/appear thicker, but that didn't happen. During my natural journey, I have learned techniques which make my hair look thick and luscious. For example, never wear a straight wash and go, but enhance them with braidouts, diffuse and stretching techniques.
When straight, never let them "silk" my hair, but just blowdry then curl. I plan on rollersetting my hair for fall/winter, which makes my hair look fuller.
I have been too chicken to use Henna, for fear of drastically changing my hair color.
I have started to incorporate more protein in my hair, to make my strands stronger and to prevent fragile ends.
I have also started to use castor oil on my scalp and ends....will have to wait to see the effect.
I'm trying to accept my hair. I do love it. I just wish it were stronger.

Tif392002

i had fine thin hair when i was relaxed, whn i decided to go natural over a year ago, i began using castor oil to thicken it up. the castor has helped tremendously, along with routine dc and protien treatments. my hair cannot thrive without the protien.

Nayna

Unbothered
Story of my hair life. When I was relaxed I could fit my ponytails into those little silver goody clips. I transitioned to natural for multiple reasons and conquering thin hair was definitely one of them. As my hair has gained length in it's natural state it's starting to work out for me. I flatiron my hair less and less, but I do blow my hair out here and there (not a Dominican blowout but a regular blow-dryer). I love how full and luscious it looks plus I can still show a little length.

So far I make sure I don't go a week without some type of light protein. I have color in my hair as well so it's important that I don't slack. I do heavy protein treatments as needed. I co wash and I DC regularly. I prefer braidouts and twistouts; they give lots of volume and look really good on me. So yea, I'm pushing BSB straight and my blowouts are shoulder length. I would be in heaven with a BSB blowout.

Geminigirl

Yeah I don't know where I fall in here, but I know my twists are not my dream lushness. When my hair is healthy it is usually fuller. I use JBCO, and henna did make my strands more coarse as well. I hate my ponytails and the way my hair looks straightened. I am just slightly past SL in the back so I don't have long hair, but I feel your pain. *hugs*

RZILYNT

Another fine thin haired checking in. The longer it gets the thinner it appears. Bantu set or braid out helps me. I love love love straight hair, but I don't think I will ever be able to pull it off. As of now, I have just found some breakage in the middle underneath at the nape. I am a back sleeper. I have to be careful how I tie my hair at night or wear my hair ban for ponytails....breakage breakage equals even more see thru thin hair.

silenttullip

I guess mine is thin but when I was relaxed it was super THICK
If I hada known smh I tell ya but volumizing poo does help

MrsIQ

Another fine thin haired checking in. The longer it gets the thinner it appears. Bantu set or braid out helps me. I love love love straight hair, but I don't think I will ever be able to pull it off. As of now, I have just found some breakage in the middle underneath at the nape. I am a back sleeper. I have to be careful how I tie my hair at night or wear my hair ban for ponytails....breakage breakage equals even more see thru thin hair.

RZILYNT, I was peeking in your album and your hair is gorg! I too, am a fine, hin haired girl, and you have given me hope that my thin hair won't look ridiculous as it get longer!

And your straight hair looks awesome!!!!

Thanks so much!