Two Strand Twists? Help please

almondjoi85

Hi guys... I want to try and do the two strand twists today, but I have some questions:

how should I secure the ends of my hair? (my hair is relaxed/texlaxed)
should I do it on wet hair or dry hair?
if done on wet hair how long does it take to dry?
when its dry do I take it out and have curls?
how big should they be?

oh and i'm about 9 weeks post if that matters

please post pics of yours.

thanks guys

I don't know anything about two strands on relaxed hair so my answers below are just my educated guess:

Maybe set them on flexi rods
I do mine on damp hair (I'm natchal)
All day unless you sit under the dryer
on relaxed hair I don't know, this is why i suggested the flexirods.
how big should they be?
as big or as small as the look you are going for

If it doesn't come out the way you want the first time don't be discouraged. It may take a few rounds to discover the right products, technique, etc.

well u find those jherri curl rollers( i dunno if im saying it right but) those they use to do a wave noveau.. i brought a pack of them and i alwyas roller my ends with them and it comes out great.

well u find those jherri curl rollers( i dunno if im saying it right but) those they use to do a wave noveau.. i brought a pack of them and i alwyas roller my ends with them and it comes out great.

Cold wave rods... Thats what my stylist used on my ends when I got twistouts at the salon when I was relaxed.

Hi guys... I want to try and do the two strand twists today, but I have some questions:

how big should they be?

please post pics of yours.

thanks guys

I do mine wet. It doesn't take too long to dry...maybe a day, but it really won't matter. As it dries, your twists should remain in place - until you wash them. You probably won't have to do anything to secure your ends - you will be surprised how they just stay. However, i would try a little gel if they start to come apart for some reason. The size of your curls will probably depend on the size of your twists. What I do sometimes is start my twist off as a regular braid...after starting a braid with 3 twists, I will finish most of it with a two-strand twist. I use 3 at the begining to keep it braided near my roots. It's really trial, error and what works and doesn't work for you. I love twists and keep them in when I was my hair because I may only lose 2-4 strands while washing.

You should also check out blackhairmedia.com...they have a section for twists.

Good luck!!

I was wearing twists for a few weeks last month and my hair is also relaxed. I started when my hair was dry. I sprayed each section with this vitamin spray to make it damp and I also used aloe vera gel. I just twisted to the ends and they held together and never unraveled. I don't have any recent pics the only pics I have are in my album from years ago when I did them.

I agree- those perm rods with a little setting lotion on for the ends on each rod will work great for securing the ends.

You may want to try a foam instead of setting lotion... like Elasta QP (good ingredients) to help as much as your curls to 'pop' to enable you to get the twists with the hold you want. I'm used to doing my twists on dry hair, but like the other ladies said it's trial and error. I part my twists 1/2" - 3/4"... since you are texlaxed, you may be able to go bigger than that, especially in the back. I use a comb to part my hair and have to use 2 mirrors to see that I'm parting even... some use their fingers/fingernails to part... you'll know what's right for you after experimenting. I braid the base of my twists and I use Organic Root Stimulator Herbal Cleanse to clean my scalp to keep my style fresh.

Good luck!

Back