Twists with synthetic hair

bgyrl

Hey has anyone done twists with synthetic hair? I am trying to do them for my first time but my natural hair is peeking through. I heard of people using synthetic hair and they say their twists turned out fine but its not working for me. I dont want to use the kinky hair because it is really drying and thick.

Can someone help me please?:confused:

InquiringMind

the first time i had twists with synthetic hair, I believe my hairdresser used beeswax. I was 4 months post relaxer at that point. Hope this helps!:)

bgyrl

Thanx, I will try that. Is it also true that you have to keep washing to a minimum to keep up your twists, anyone?

P

patient1

Uh oh...out of lurk again (I make good exceptions).

Here's a pic of some twists using synthetic hair that I did today. Regular old straight synthetic used for braiding. (Freetress Yaki Soft Braid).

Anywho, the client had traction alopecia and wanted kinky twists but I thought she needed a something a bit gentler. Her hair is relaxed, but all hair does the pokey sometime.

Not to knock the suggestion as I'm sure it's effective. Just be very lighthanded with the beeswax. It will seal any moisture out of your hair for a bit. On this client, I used skin grade aloe gel to tame them some but I did NOT clip her real hair. Anytime you see perfectly cleaned up braids or twists, the braider likely ran scissors (or worse flame) along the braid. It's not worth it.

Another option is to skip the Marley Hair (which can be drying and opt for very soft kinky synthetic. Your twists will be sort of funky as seen here, but I like funky. :) It's when the twists look more like something your head sprouted and you don't worry about pokeys at all.

Finally, consider installing extensions on slightly damp hair. It's a little easier to coax the hair to "meld" with the extension hair. You can apply leave in to a section and/or mist with a sprayer OR braid on your hair after you've washed, deep conditioned, detangled, and applied a leave in. It doesn't have to be sopping wet, but braiding on bone dry hair is something I just don't do.

hth (I posted these pix JUST for you)

p1

bgyrl

Oh wow patient1 your braids are beautiful and thank you so much for the tips. Your twists are so neat I wish mine could look like that. Each time i make a twist it looks un-sturdy and loose.

tallnomad

I didn't want to start a whole new thread just to ask this question: Has anyone ever just added synethetic hair to the very last half of their twists/braids only?

I want to retwist my hair but give it a bit more length while also protecting the ends, and I thought I could add some synthetic braiding hair at the ends.

I would begin by double strand twisting my own hair more than half way down, and then the rest of the way, add some synthetic hair in.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?

vkb247

I don't see why that wouldn't work because when I've gotten long braids they've added extra hair in the middle of the braid to make it longer. I think it would be a little trickier with twists but possible.