Two-Strand Twists

mspretty

Different people call them different things, but down here we say two-strand twists(think Jill Scott style). Well I was wondering if any of you have them, If so do or did you have any bad experiences with them, like breakage? Are they done with your real hair or with synthetic hair? I am contemplating getting some, but can't decide whether to get them will my natural hair or with synthetic added to it.

Poobity

I wear my hair in two strand twists most of the time. I do them myself with my own hair. I haven't experienced any breakage with two strand twists. When you take them out, just make sure to unravel the ends first and then go up. I keep mine in for 1-2 weeks.

My hair is 4a/b, by the way.

sbg4evr

I wear 2-strands twists with my real hair. The only 2 ways to experience breakage is 1) if you don't keep hair moisturize (2) you don't untwist your hair properly--from ends to roots.
Moisture is the key.

TinyT

I do my own and I don't add extensions. I keep mine moisturized daily with a leave-in, and haven't had any breakage. You can try them with extensions (kinky twist extensions). I have seen those and look very pretty too.

koko22

I had kinky twist extensions. I used human hair and I had a lot of growth. I had virtually no breakage. I had them in for two months this summer and I moisturized every other day.

Nacai23

I wear two strand twists 99% of the time. I've been wearing them since the begining of the year and I haven't receieved any breakage. I don't like weaves, so I do them with my own hair. Also, I never use drying gels/hairspray, plain ole shea butter does the trick. My hair is 5-6" long, the texture is a mixture of 3C/4A and extremly thick.

ineedmoney

those that where them with extentions, where do you buy that hair? can i get it online and what is the cost normally?
thanx

mspretty

U should be able to buy them at any local hair shop or try this site they may have them: http://superhuman.zoovy.com

I was thinking about getting extensions so the style would last a long time and still look good. I'm afraid with my real hair it will frizz to much and look horrible!

Nx2brat

I wear two strand twists... I've done them myself with my own hair and also had them down with extensions at a salon. I didn't experience problems with either. Keeping your hair moisturized is important, as other posters have mentioned.

I have pics in my album of both styles..with and w/o extensions. I like them better w/o because my real hair is less bulky so it provides more styling options.

CarLiTa

Bump...

i'm really thinking about finally getting braids this time... i haven't gotten braids since May 2004 because i've been really scared of them! i used synthetic hair and wow, had so much breakage b/c uh... u guessed it! did'nt even wash my hair! :eek: i only wet it once or twice and that was it... Pre-LHCF days...

now... i'm actually thinking about getting braid extensions, with human hair, those that look natural, like the two-strand twists or whatever you call them. I'd get them to below my bra-strap, which would mean that i'd be about 2" longer than my real hair... I would leave them in for about 4-6 weeks only

my only problem, is that i'm really concerned about taking care of them, which is why i'm searching for past threads... So ladies, can u answer the question that was posted before mine?

Ladies in Miami, can u tell me where to buy it? or just what brand to look for, at the BSS?

BUMP!

CarLiTa

Essence Atkins from "Deliver Us From Eva"... I want braid extensions like hers

or this (same thing, but clearer picture)

this is what I want, actually, but the length would be almost mid-back...

i was just reading some other old threads that say that human hair unravels after a while or whatever and that it's expensive...

maybe i'd get synthetic hair that looks like this... any brand ideas, ladies? please help me...

cocopuff

I just got some two-strand twists done yesterday. I usually do two-strand twists with my own hair, but this time, I decided that I wanted to give my hair a rest. I bought 100% Kanekalon Marley Braid hair by Vanessa and my twists came out looking good. I bought 5 packs of hair at $5.99 each, so I spent $30 on the hair and the girl that did my hair charged me $90, so all together I spent $120. Around here, the shops charge you anywhere from $150-$180 for this style so I was happy to save some money. I also had some silky loc extensions done almost two months ago and I had no breakage from that.

Last edited:

MeechUK

MeechUK
Hi CarLita,
Den1 has created a method for washing extensions using a stocking. I have not tried it but it seems a very effective way of washing/conditioning your hair with this style.

MeechUK

jainygirl

I do them on my own hair all the time. I like mine on the small side so I taught myself to do them so that I dont have to pay anyone for their time. This way I get what I want AND it's free :D. As my hair grows out i'll make them bigger. Oh yeah, my hair is 4b btw. That's a set of twists I did in my siggy. HTH -- jainygirl

Country gal

I do my own with my natural hair to give it a rest for styling. I don't want to use extenstions right now so I will patiently wait until I can grow it longer.

Zoe

I have 2 strand twists in my natural hair... I love it.. I get it done (although I need to learn to do it myself to save money) its been my 3rd week with them in my hair and its still holding up.. the lady that did my hair used Loc and Twist Gel.. everyday I use a Mayonnaise and Honey hair dressing and oil sheen..

When I used synthetic hair (Marley Braid) I IDIDN"T WET IT... I wore it for 2 months and one thing I didn't like about the hair was if u wet the ends it wouldn't stay curled and lost its pizazz after awhile.. I paid about 80 bucks to get it done and 30 for the hair..

When I used Human Hair.. Afro kinky *hair alone was $150 dollars* I LOVED IT.. the only thing I had to do was spray mist it with a lil water and go.. I wore it for 3 months and it was very natural.. my hair never unraveled and the older the style was the better it looked...

I would definetely get it again.. maybe for the winter to give my own hair a lil break.