Treatment for Scabs on Scalp

Lebiya

Can anyone recommend treatments which are good to treat scabs on the scalp?
If all else, I will do a honey, brown sugar and peppermint with a toothbrush to scrub my scalp.

silenttullip

honestly if you're relaxed... Do a scalp massage with some evoo or evco and another essential oil also add jojoba or wheat germ oil whichever works better. Then leave it on for 30 mins or overnight and follow your usual reggie. Apply infusium 23 leave in (if it agrees with your hair) to the areas where the scabs are if the areas aren't red or painful anymore. I had a giant scab in the back of my head at about 13. I wet that section down with infusium a couple nights a week and in about 2 months the scab was gone and no hair was missing from that section... More hair had grown in actually hth

SherylsTresses

My scalp and body are sun sensitive and will burn in the harsh UV rays and this lead to scab problem. Thankfully I am free from them now. :yep::yep: What I do is:

One Time - Mix a cup of cheapie moisturizing conditioner with 3 table spoons of peppermint oil, tea tree oil and EVOO. Apply to my scalp and use the rest as a prepoo on the hair. Let it set for an hour or overnight

After every DC or cowash - Apply oil mixture (3 tbsp of peppermint, tea tree and EVOO) to scalp and massage

Daily - I carry an umbrella in my purse and use it on sunny days and avoid direct heat on my scalp. HTH

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
Lebiya Your signature pic says BC '07. So can you please give a little bit of back ground regarding the scabs? What is your current hair care regimen? Are you natural or permed?

I get scabs when I braid my hair. I now have a braided hair regimen which reduces or flat out eliminates any scabs.

Lebiya

Thanks Ladies! I Bc'd in 07, but Im texlaxed now. I still have scabs on my scalp from the years of mistreatment before my hair journey. Anything I do to treat my scalp will be done after my textlax next week. I want to start a journey to treat my scalp. Healthy scalp = healthy growing hair.

Solitude

Can anyone recommend treatments which are good to treat scabs on the scalp?
If all else, I will do a honey, brown sugar and peppermint with a toothbrush to scrub my scalp.

If it's a relaxer scab, I would just put a bit of oil (like olive oil or something heavy, not an essential oil) or Neosporin on it. Don't pick or scratch at it. Are you relaxed or natural?

If it's dandruff, I gently lift my son's scabs with a comb and (emphasis on gently), then shampoo with head and shoulders or a peppermint shampoo. Then, I do a conditioner rinse. I don't have dandruff, but when I did, I would pre-poo with essential oils and they went away.

If it's anything else, you may need to have a doctor look at it.

SelfStyled

Just wanted to say anyone natural or relaxed can have scabs on their scalp. My daughter who is natural btw, is very prone to scabs on her scalp b/c she has eczema.

OP- aloe gel is great for scabs. Also my daughter has found the tingle tree poo and conditioner from Trader Joes to be helpful as well.

Best of luck. I hate to hear about anyone with scalp issues.

silenttullip

You're right anyone can but for me I'd suggest different things for relaxed scabs verses dandruff/sd/psoriasis scabs. For example if she isn't relaxed I wouldn't suggest putting infusium on a dandruff scab ya know
Bless your little girl's heart. I have scalp issues and it can be so tough

Just wanted to say anyone natural or relaxed can have scabs on their scalp. My daughter who is natural btw, is very prone to scabs on her scalp b/c she has eczema.

OP- aloe gel is great for scabs. Also my daughter has found the tingle tree poo and conditioner from Trader Joes to be helpful as well.

Best of luck. I hate to hear about anyone with scalp issues.

MissTripleChoc

Hi,

Since i started adding oil to my relaxers i rarely get scabs, in fact my scalp doesn't burn at all which is a big plus for me. :)

Aireen

KeraCare Dry & Itchy Scalp Conditioner - THIS CONDITIONER IS AMAZING! I had bad dandruff when I was younger with extremely bad itching. Swimming and relaxing made the problem even worse, nothing relieved it. I went to a doctor and got products recommended for my scalp, nothing worked. Even if the dandruff was eliminated some how a sore would end up on my scalp and start the itching process all over again. This was the only thing that worked and continued to deliver fantastic results, it even healed my sores. The tingle of the product is pretty intense but invigorating. It eliminated my scalp problem for a long time when I didn't use it.

I use this after relaxing because my sores would be inflamed and this helped them to heal and provide relief for the itching. It's softening enough to use all over my hair but I limit its use to my scalp to save product since that's the problem area and I have better conditioners dedicated to nourishing my hair. For a long time before discovering this product, I couldn't use many conditioners on my hair because it would aggravate the problem. Now I can use anything under the sun and my dandruff is gone; when using the product consistently it would literally take WEEKS before any dandruff would remotely show.

LaidBak

Why would you pick or scrub at them??? Yikes!! On the off chance I get a scab after a relaxer I just use Emu oil on my scalp exclusively until they heal naturally. Takes a day or two for them to come off naturally.