Trashy, Breaking Ends After Tension BlowDrying!

femmedusiecle

GRRRRRRRR! I can't figure out how to keep my ends from turning into Rice Krispies after blow drying! I've tried the paddle brush, comb attachment and now, the tension method. Not only that, but my ends break off like shards of glass! You'd think it's left over hair after a trim or something. The pieces are about 1/8-1/4 in length and I often times see SSK's attached. I recently did a light trim so what gives??? I've also recently done a protein/moisture treatment!

Please help, guys!

BTW, I'm 4 A/B natural.

Kerryann

Last nighti tried drenching my hair in castor oil and ghe overnight and I can't lie to u it's the best thing I ever done...I washed and dc and blow dried and this is the first time my ends came out str8 with no frizzies ....try this and see how it works

karenjoe

... I heard bagging the ends is good also. ( plastic bag on ends) sound messy

1) Rollersetting my ponytails helped me.( after I wash) airdry

2) I bought a cream named Bonacure for ends:yep:.

Nayna

Unbothered
How soon are you blowdrying after you wash it? I notice that if I blowdry right away my ends look like trash. I stopped doing that and now I add my leave ins and whatnot and airdry for a while before blowdrying. I feel like blowdrying right away zaps all moisture and your hair doesn't get a chance to soak up some good stuff from your leave ins.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
sounds like you need a deep protein treatment followed by a deep moisture treatment followed by a big helping of "LEAVE THE BLOW DRYER ALONE UNTIL YOUR HAIR IS STRONGER" treatment.

:yep:

femmedusiecle

Thank you ladies for the tips! Tried to multiquote but it's not working.

1) I usually BDry right after I wash so I will try to wait a little next time and see how that works.

2) My last protein treatment was about a week ago but now that I think about it, it was a mild treatment (Silk Dreams). Sounds like I need something more heavy duty like Aphogee...

3) LOL @ leaving the dryer alone! Very seldom do I blow dry but when I do it's crunch city.

Alright so next week I will soak my hair in castor oil and throw a bag on it and leave it overnight. Next up will be a heavy duty protein treatment then moisture treatment after which I'll eliminate the dryer all together...air dry in braids then lightly flat iron.

*crossing fingers*

southerncitygirl

femmedusiecle

have you tried blow drying damp or dry stretched hair that is coated in leave-in and/heat protectant? you could detangle and put your hair in 4-6 twists/plaits and sit under a hooded or bonnet dryer until your are more than 70% or more dry. this would allow for a lower setting when you blowdry your sections. i agree with trying another time as well.

larry3344

femmedusiecle I had the same problem yesterday and I was coming here to get some help about that. I tried to straighten my hair and first step was blowdrying my hair became hard and stiff and my ends were shrinking...how do I avoid that!!!

MsAminta

Last time I blow dried my hair (for my length check in August), I sprayed it with StaSofFro and applied a little petroleum jelly (concentrating on the ends) before I tension blow dried each section. When it actually comes to blow drying the ends, I use my Denman to get my ends straight and avoid the crunch. My hair was soooooo soft for the next two weeks.

femmedusiecle

Good tips you guys :)

larry3344 I washed and DC'ed with Silk Dreams products then I applied Garnier Fructis serum throughout my hair. My entire head of hair came out very smooth and soft except for the fire bush ends. >(

ogmistress

femmedusiecle

I seriously had the same problem not to long ago but I also had it when I airdried.
Then bought a DC (instead of mixing my own) and added coconut oil and my ends felt great. I did it weekly though. Also I started using a conditioner as my leave in.

Also, I don't know if it is the same for your hair but after awhile i think my hair get use to conditioners, you might need to change yours.

westNDNbeauty

Tried adding a LIGHT moisturizing and oil immediately to your ends after blow drying?

Remember, although you may have used a moisturizer and heat protectant prior to moisturizing, the heat absorbs much of the moisture that was just added.

When I blow dry to stretch (overtime I wash), I follow immediately with a moisturizer and them seal and style/twist.

Leesh

What products are you using?
This could help decipher what the culprit is.

Quite possibly "Protein Overload"...

Last edited: