Ladies who use the tension method when blowdrying...

Fine 4s

How do you get your ends straight or at least reasonably straight (similar to my siggy)?

I've been on a Longhairdontcare method lately by straightening my hair using a handheld dryer and the tension before braiding. If my hair still knots up at the ends when braiding, then why should I waste time and blowdry to begin with? Perhaps the process is less painful but dang it, if those braiders tangle my ends one mo' 'gain?! I must admit that I braided my hair about 1-2 weeks after the blow dry so by then, my hair might have tightened up a bit.

I could be that I need a good trim I mean at least 1'' off all around too.
My stylist doesn't cut enough IMO.

The key is to not dry out the ends in the process of the tension method. It can get hard to get your self in the habit of not putting the heat all the way through to the end as we have been conditioned otherwise.

Only put the tension and heat on the roots and not the ends.

Thank you for the response *cough* bumping *cough*

If the dryer doesn't pass on the ends how does it get straight? Should I not even attempt to straighten the ends? I don't intend to flat iron or press after. And if I am to avoid the ends, then how can I minimize my single strand knots (ssk)?

Help!

Is this a hypothetical question or did you actually try the tension method and ended up w/a knotty end result? When I do the tension my ends get stretched...I don't know how b/c I don't do anything special and my thumbs kinda block the air flow at the very end, but somehow they end up stretched.

On a side note, your hair in the bottom signature pic looks awesome. How did you achieve that look?? Is it a blow out or flatiron...How did you get the curls? Contrary to your name, your hair doesn't look "fine" at all, it looks very thick and thick stranded, wow

Thank you for the response *cough* bumping *cough*

If the dryer doesn't pass on the ends how does it get straight? Should I not even attempt to straighten the ends? I don't intend to flat iron or press after. And if I am to avoid the ends, then how can I minimize my single strand knots (ssk)?

Help!

You didnt mention in your original post that you would not be flat ironing. Disregard what I said!

OK. Sorry 'bout that Shoediva.

Virtue,
It's a real question. I tried the tension method for the firs time about a month ago and while my ends were straighter than when kinky, it didn't last long. A few weeks (that's still a long time I know, I know) later when I cornrowed, there were lots of knots. I suspect that if I braid my hair sooner like right after stretching, I won't have that problem.

My siggy - That's blow dried hair, then braided (couldn't have been twisted) and curled at the ends with perm rods. I have lots of fine strands on my hair. They snap very easily which is why protective styles work so well for me.

Yes I blowdry the ends, but there is not much tension at the very ends b/c you can't let go of the hair, or that would defeat the method of tension-- so thumbs kinda block the heat. How are you stretching to the ends w/the tension method ms. Lizzia? Thanks fine 4s, how many braids did u use? Did u use the tension method in your pic? Were the perm rods big, I've only ever seen small ones...?

Yes I blowdry the ends, but there is not much tension at the very ends b/c you can't let go of the hair, or that would defeat the method of tension-- so thumbs kinda block the heat. How are you stretching to the ends w/the tension method ms. Lizzia? Thanks fine 4s, how many braids did u use? Did u use the tension method in your pic? Were the perm rods big, I've only ever seen small ones...?
Well i stretch my hair out and hold it and blow dry. I don't let go n then once my roots are straight, i blow dry my ends. I don't braid my hair, i just section it off. As far as my siggy, that was long before i ever even knew about the tension method. That style was done with flat ironed hair that went astray and i just did a bantu knot out on it. I made a post about it http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=448738&highlight=

Can't remember the number exactly, but perhaps 8.
In my siggy, the hair was blow dried in a salon with a paddle brush (which I HATE.) From now on, when I go for a trim, not only am I washing, DC'ing myself, I'm also going to use the tension method to get my hair straight and lessen the yanking that happens. He can further blow dry with the paddle brush but at least it'll be more bearable. I re-created this look at home last month with the tension method and at times I cheated with the Denman brush :S The perm rods I used were small but the braids were big resulting in medium sized twisted and curled ends.

HTH!

Back