Hair breaking off at the ends everyday

Schakiaw

When I comb my hair little of lot of pieces fall off.? I mean a lot and it been happen every day
I got my ends trim after I notice little pieces falling off and then I noticed it again and got it trim again .. I don't know what is going on with my hair .. Does anyone have any suggesting and I got a protin treatment 2 weeks ago and this still is happen then I got it watch today and when I got home still noticed a lot of little ends breaking off ... I just wanna cry .. It won't stop ..I have transitioning hair and It all stated when I got a sew in a dye last month but I been going to the salon weekly and even when I come back home and comb my ends or anything my shirt and sink is conver with little hair pieces

Last edited:

krissyhair

I think your best course of action is to find a style that won't force you to constantly comb your hair all the time.

Are there any styles that will let you wear it up and not touch it? Every once in a while, I get breakage that lasts for a few days. I avoid rough manipulation.

What tools are you using?

Schakiaw

I got a twist updo and do and when
I took it down yesterday my hair was shedding from the ends so much and it was little pieces of hair coming down and so much of it and then when I went to to salon and got a twist out and came home and every time I style my hair little pieces come on my hand lots of them

HanaKuroi

Did you get a moiturizing DC after your protein treatment?

It is imperative to follow a protein treatment with a super moisturizing DC.

What was the treatment called?

What do you put in your hair everyday.

You dyed your hair? You need moisture.

What is your regimen?

Do you need to comb everyday?

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Please look at your technique. For me, when I comb thru my hair with a wide tooth comb, I have a tendency to find little broken ends of my hair all over the place. I found using a different tool (no combs) helped me.

Do you wash and condition your hair in between salon visits?

yodie

Were you wearing your hair in a twist out undo? Was your hair untwisted? Had you been wearing this style for awhile with okay results and then gradually your ends started breaking?

Is your hair fine or thick?
Your hair may need to be left alone for a bit like the other poster said. I've been experiencing sort of the same thing with my hair. Too much manipulation and I had to cut off a bit of my progress. So, time to let her rest again. Another lesson that I seem to have to learn over and over, my ends prefer to be straight. Your ends may retain better straight versus a shrunken state. Just things to think about.

HanaKuroi

Schakiaw said:
Yes I got dc after

What is your daily regimen?

Do you dc your own hair?

Dye can be murder and you really have to up the moisture.

HanaKuroi

When was your last dc?

Do you only go to the salon, or can you handle your own hair?

You may have to take charge of your own hair and become more hands on.

Most of the ladies here are either diy'ers or do their own maintenance. You cannot wait until your next visit to deal with your continually breaking hair.

What products did she use? What protein and what dc? And what do you moisturize and seal with? What is your regimen?

Schakiaw

mizani shampoo and conditioner and I've been using that for 4 Years and it grew my hair so I none that is not the problem and every morning I spray olive oil been doing it for years and I only go to the salon

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

Schakiaw said:
mizani shampoo and conditioner and I've been using that for 4 Years and it grew my hair so I none that is not the problem and every morning I spray olive oil been doing it for years and I only go to the salon

Olive oil is a sealer not a moisturizer. You need something with water in it as an ingredient you can seal with the olive oil. Your strands sound thirsty and dry.

I am not saying that your shampoo and conditioner is the problem but it is obvious that your strands require more than what you have been able to do in the past. Your breaking ends are telling you that.

Dyed hair and hair that has had a protein treatment need moisture. You want to seal in the moisture with an oil or butter.

When you say you only go to the salon, are you asking what you should tell your stylist? Or what you can do to remedy the situation.

The ladies are very good at giving help but, it is self help.

HanaKuroi

Schakiaw said:
So would cantu Shea butter daily oil moisturizer be a good one to use for my hair ?

Hmmm. It doesn't work for my hair but many ladies use it.

Do you have a Target near you? Sally?

Rhondie

I'm thinking you might have protein overload. The same thing happened to me after I used Henna for the first time and the follow up DC just wasn't sufficient. I started a broken hair memorial on my desk at work because so many hairs would just break off throughout the day. I tried to infuse moisture back in my hair for several days and nothing worked. Finally I purchased a bottle of "jheri curl juice" can't remember the type but its oft mention on this forum (blue and white bottle) and it did the trick after a few days of spritzing my ends and tucking them away. Hope it you get your situation under control soon.

HanaKuroi

Yes I have both near me

Do you know what line of products they carry? Do they have Oyin Handmade there? Or Curls? Marie Dean? Not all Targets carry the same products. I don't want to send you looking for something they don't have. Target has really stepped up their game.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Amarilles

I'm thinking you might have protein overload. The same thing happened to me after I used Henna for the first time and the follow up DC just wasn't sufficient. I started a broken hair memorial on my desk at work because so many hairs would just break off throughout the day. I tried to infuse moisture back in my hair for several days and nothing worked. Finally I purchased a bottle of "jheri curl juice" can't remember the type but its oft mention on this forum (blue and white bottle) and it did the trick after a few days of spritzing my ends and tucking them away. Hope it you get your situation under control soon.
I agree. Keep in mind that coarse hair can be extremely sensitive to protein. I personally have never done an actual protein treatment. I've had bad reactions to products that have just had a few (or a certain kind) so definitely be mindful.

You mentioned dyeing your hair though? Did you go lighter or darker? If you lifted a lot of color the breakage could be a result. For future reference, it's a good idea to collect your shed hair and test color on it before applying it to your whole head.

sharifeh

Hi
If you're transitioning you should expect some breakage . I would deep condition with something really moisturizing and see if that helps .

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Schakiaw

I can have a protein overload only after getting one protein treatment and it was my first one 2 weeks ago
.. I don't use anything on
My hair but olive oil
Spray and up wrap it .. I'm
Just starting this hair journey ..

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Okay, for clarification, your stylist dyed your previously relaxed hair? You have a sew in? How long is your hair?

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I know you like your stylist but... :look: I'm thinking this stylist is not that great. You're also putting a lot of trust in the hands of someone else especially if youre trying to grow it out. Stylists are generally not into hair health but hair styles. Two different things.

Some people's hair cant handle 2 chemicals at once, regardless if no bleach is used.

How is she handling your hair? Does she comb stright from the root to the ends, or from the ends up to the roots?

And yes, after protein, she should be having your hair in another DC to put the moisture back in.

virtuenow

Here's some of my notes & links:

Trichorrhexis nodosa: What is it:

Trichorrhexis nodosa is the scientific term used to describe hair breakage reoccurring in the same spot. TN comes in two forms: It can occur at the roots (where hair appears to be not growing). This is called proximal TN. Or it may appear at the very ends. This is called distal TN.

Excerpt from 1st link: Trichorrhexis nodosa is the most common hair shaft disorder. The hair is especially fragile. People with trichorrhexis nodosa have hair that breaks easily, leaving short, stubbly broken ends. The trichorrhexis may affect only isolated patches of hair, or may affect the entire head. Even gentle bending of an affected hair can break it off.

Cause & treatment:

Mechanical trauma: Certain things you do to your hair -- such as flat ironing, blow-drying, combing, brushing, perming, coloring, chemical use, shampooing, or sun/salt-water exposure -- appear to trigger the condition. Avoid harsh chemicals such as those used in straightening compounds and permanents. Do not use a hot hairdryer for long periods of time. The hair should not be ironed. Avoid harsh shampoos, but always use hair conditioners.

Prognosis:

Both acquired forms of trichorrhexis nodosa will disappear within about 2-4 years, if the trauma to the hair shafts is stopped. In the meantime, cream rinses and protein conditioners are helpful.

Links:
http://www.drgreene.com/qa-articles/trichorrhexis-invaginata-trichorrhexis-nodosa/
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001449.htm

Note:

I also did a post about a couple of guys [Asian] that acquired TN from using a brush like the Tangle Teezer: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=679723

Schakiaw

My hair styles has natural hair this breaking didn't start to after the sew In .. When I took the sew In out and I loss a lot of hair due to that
But that wasn't that bad but now I got tons of little pieces falling from the ends